PDA

View Full Version : easy way to slice a poly from corner to corner?

gareee
09-15-2006, 10:09 AM
There must be a simple way to se a poly from corner to corner... I usually use the knife command and weld point manually, but isn't there an eaiser method?

Sometimes triple and then merge will do the trick, but sometimes it doesn't create the slices I'm looking for.

Sekhar
09-15-2006, 10:21 AM
Why not select the corner points and use connect ("l")?

gareee
09-15-2006, 10:37 AM
which comman is that a shortcut to? sounds like it might do the trick regardless.

gareee
09-15-2006, 10:39 AM
Looks like "bridge" does the same thing.. didn't they combine connect into bridge in lw 9?

BazC
09-15-2006, 12:58 PM
Looks like "bridge" does the same thing.. didn't they combine connect into bridge in lw 9?

Not quite, they seperated them! In 8.5 they both had the shortcut l, if polys were selected they were bridged, if points were selected they were connected. In LW9 connect works on points, edges and polys so bridge was made a seperate command.

Lottmedia
09-15-2006, 01:47 PM
Split does exactly that (in multiply tab) select a poly then space to get to points and select the two to make the split and hit "Split". That sounds like what you want. Bridge and connect are about making new geometry, not what it sounds like you're trying to do.

Casey :cat:

BazC
09-15-2006, 01:51 PM
Split does exactly that (in multiply tab) select a poly then space to get to points and select the two to make the split and hit "Split". That sounds like what you want. Bridge and connect are about making new geometry, not what it sounds like you're trying to do.

Casey :cat:

No connect will do exactly what he wants with the advantage of not having to select the poly first.

Bog
09-15-2006, 03:18 PM
You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don’t need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don’t need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Sorry, your thread title shook a song loose in my brain... ;)

Silkrooster
09-16-2006, 08:34 PM
I haven't heard that song in years, not sure but maybe 25 years ago.
Silk

gareee
09-16-2006, 10:13 PM
where's the connect toollocated? I've been using bridge, and it does seem to do the trick.. I'll have to look at it again, and see if it's creating some 2 point polys.

Silkrooster
09-16-2006, 10:53 PM
The connect tool is suppose to be just above the bridge tool. If you don't see it, try resetting your menus.
The bridge tool is to connect two seperate object together, while the connect tool only work on a single object. It works kind of like the add edges tool did.
Silk