PDA

View Full Version : In toe duct son

v1u1ant
09-15-2006, 05:15 AM
just introducing myself really.

Im more of a video editor really (FC, AE), but i have used 3d in the past (3dsMax, Infini-d). I had used Lightwave briefly a number of years back and didnt find it very intuiative, but decided to give it another go (im on version 8.5 Mac BTW). Have to say it doesn't appear to have changed too much, same Gui layout, no doubt more hidden features.
Just started with the tutorials in the help content, and struggled to follow those (ie tried to load up a backdrop image---no luck, consulting manual, pulling my hair out, came here found out about input-output plug-ins, wow why is this not mentioned anywhere?)

LOL, as you can see Lightwave is frustrating me from the off. However im willing to lose some chunks of hair to see what this software can really do for me, hence me being here.

No doubt ill be lurking for a while untill i find my feet, then i guess i will start annoying you lot with daft questions.

Hopefully have some laughs along the way aswell.

Cheers

PS after spending an afternoon on Lightwave im begining to make progress. Layers are a cool way of working for sure.

fyborg_1138
09-16-2006, 05:22 AM
Welcome to the forum. Learning to use Lightwave is a process that should be fun and exciting rather than a struggle. You will find a lot of help on the forum and many friendly people who can provide expertise in solving difficult questions as well as answers for the "do'h" questions. Searching for previous threads on the forum for answers is an easy way to locate commonly asked questions. For example, here's a link to a previous thread that has information, tutorials and resources for a Lightwave beginner (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53317).

Don't think that the help content provided with the software is the only source of information. There are tons and tons of helpful stuff out there in cyberspace.

Once again, welcome to the forum.

v1u1ant
09-18-2006, 03:15 AM
cheers,

ill be checkin all that out now

l8tz yall

v1u1ant
09-18-2006, 03:47 AM
ok im just following Lost pencils tutorials. When i press F2 to center an object it doesnt center the whole object but seems to stretch it. But this doesnt seem to happen all the time. When i can get an object to center as a whole object rather than stretching it, it doesnt center on all viewing windows. When i press F2 again it just seems to throw the object further and further away from the center. Why is that?

So i can have two simple objects (box and ball) i have centered them both, but they are not centered, in my mind they should sit right on top of each other in all views but its only like this on my right view. What the **** am i doing wrong, cos its sending me loopy.

Ta

v1u1ant
09-18-2006, 04:02 AM
think i sussed it, but if anyone can confirm. I had symmetry turned on, turned it off.

Ta

Yamba
09-18-2006, 07:14 AM
Welcome aboard,

Yes symmetry will do it to you everytime. Great tool 99% of the time but occasionally catches you out, the shift + Y shortcut will save your headspace.

For more tutorials pop over to silkroosters site download his PDF, it's down the page a bit and have a look at what resources he has: http://www.silkrooster.com/links.php#Lightwave.

If your getting back into Lightwave Dan Alban's Lightwave Training books are a godsend, you can pick up second hand copies pretty cheap particularly the earlier editions.

Stick with it.

Yamba
mac since IIe and still sane, well almost.

v1u1ant
09-18-2006, 07:40 AM
Cheers Yamba,

Checking it out now