PDA

View Full Version : Its rendering but cant see end result

Scott C. Zupek
09-14-2006, 02:21 PM
I have two systems. My HOST machine and my NODE(which is a server).

I have the HOST folders of LW9FOLDER = Z:\ on the NODE

for my bat file file I have from the NODE to the HOST

z:
z:\programs\LWSN.exe -2 -dz:\sczdraweraug2006 -cz:\config\lw9.cfg Z:\command\job1 Z:\command\ack1

Access is okay because i can read and write to any folder withing the Z:\ share

When I screamernet render, the file goes through, everything is being done but the NODE says it cant find some plugins, but it ocntinues. It then moves the objects as needed, cleans the noise and does the same thing again in the second pass. however, even though I have SAVE RGB option enabled(.jpeg) it doesnt save. the scene is only 1 frame(1 to 1) and I am using it because it takes too long with radiosity on one machine.

So except for the plug-in errors(motion mixer not found, lw_fastfrenel not found, and skytracer2 plug in now found), the NODE chugs away like it should but again...no saves. Any idea?thank you:lwicon:

Phil
09-14-2006, 02:35 PM
I found that recently. The workaround was to put copies of the .cfg files under the %userprofile% folder on each node. Once I did this, it seemed to resolve the problem.

I'm not entirely sure whether this is a setup bug or something more awkward.

Phil
09-14-2006, 02:36 PM
The lw3.cfg in your example is also wrong. It should be lw8.cfg for LW8 and lw9.cfg for LW9.

Scott C. Zupek
09-14-2006, 02:50 PM
The lw3.cfg in your example is also wrong. It should be lw8.cfg for LW8 and lw9.cfg for LW9.

well i havent updated my signature, but now im using lightwave 9. so i figured i should use the LW9 config files...

so if my username was BUBBA you are saying i should put the .cfg files under the \documents and settings\bubba folder?

and i noticed that i did have lw3 instead of lw9. i fixed that and i still get the same result... weird considering i dont have an lw3.cfg file thank you for pointing that wout. thats why it is always nice to have someone else look over things.

Phil
09-14-2006, 03:14 PM
Yep. I have a number of semi-ancient thinkpads that I have re-pressed into service as render nodes only today. One of the faster ones was previously used for LW and so had synced config files under %userprofile%. The others didn't and I saw errors reported for various plugins not being found.

As a test, I copied LW+cfg files over and fired it up on one of the affected units and the plugins worked fine within LW. So did LWSN. The cfg files seemed to fix it. Odd, really.

I'm assuming this is a LW bug, but need someone else to have the same success before I can file it :)

Scott C. Zupek
09-14-2006, 03:20 PM
well at least i am trying. So do i need to point the .bat files to the local %USERNAME% folder? or can i keep them located on the SHARE DRIVE/Config?

Phil
09-14-2006, 03:22 PM
You don't need to change the LWSN command line. Simply copy the cfg files under %userprofile% on a node to see if it helps and restart the LWSN program on that node. I'm hoping it will make a difference for you. If it does, then all is well, otherwise I have some more digging to do ;)

Scott C. Zupek
09-14-2006, 03:34 PM
You don't need to change the LWSN command line. Simply copy the cfg files under %userprofile% on a node to see if it helps and restart the LWSN program on that node. I'm hoping it will make a difference for you. If it does, then all is well, otherwise I have some more digging to do ;)
negative, please keep digging. if it makes a diff the NODE is on win 2k3 server standard

Phil
09-15-2006, 12:13 AM
Hmmm. The only other thing I can think of is the redistributable package for MS VC 2005 - it's the only other thing that was done here :

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=32BC1BEE-A3F9-4C13-9C99-220B62A191EE&displaylang=en

dballesg
09-15-2006, 03:37 AM
Hi,

I suspect you are having a problem on your lw9ext.cfg.

open it on notepad, and be sure that all the paths for the plugins there are pointing to your z:\ drive.

Best regards,
David

Scott C. Zupek
09-15-2006, 09:10 AM
under the .bat file I have it pointing to the config files folder on the HOST Machine(Z:\). The config files are pointing to the, local to the host, folders...

so in the .cfg files(on the host) everything is under c:\program files\newtek\lightwave9\...

i dont have any .cfg files on the NODE itself. Well, thast not true, I did move the .cfg files over the NODE:/documents and settings/%username% as requested to check. are you sayin i should have the .cfg files pointing to the z:\?

Scott C. Zupek
09-15-2006, 09:13 AM
Hmmm. The only other thing I can think of is the redistributable package for MS VC 2005 - it's the only other thing that was done here :

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=32BC1BEE-A3F9-4C13-9C99-220B62A191EE&displaylang=en

which should i sintall that on, the NODE(windows 2k3 server)?

Phil
09-15-2006, 09:40 AM
Yep. I'll dig deeper shortly in case there's something very strange going on. Just have some things to do at the moment.

Scott C. Zupek
09-15-2006, 09:45 AM
Yep. I'll dig deeper shortly in case there's something very strange going on. Just have some things to do at the moment.

for the sake of debugging, I changed the pointer to the .cfg file(under the .bat file) to the documents and settings/%username% folder and then went into the .cfg files and changed all of the poitns in there to the Z:\ drive(host), same end result....

thanks for trying to help

EDIT: I installed the RE-Distribution C++ thingy mabober and no difference. I did restart screamernet and lightwave all together and I was using the local-to-node(not local-to-host) .cfg files

dballesg
09-15-2006, 11:43 AM
Hi Scott,

What you are trying to do is a Screamernet with a share dirve setup. Have you seen Matt's pfd and video? That helps a lot to configure it in that way.

I hope Matt doesn't bother I point to them:

PDF: http://www.newtek-europe.com/uk/community/lightwave/gorner/3.html
Video: http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24065

I used that to set up mine, and on the shared drive I have a copy of the Plugins and Programs folder, that is why my .cfg are pointing to the plugins on the shared drive, so all the nodes can fin them. In fact I have the congis in there as well, and my bats are pointing to the S: drive in my case, z: in yours.

I hope that it helps.

David

Scott C. Zupek
09-15-2006, 04:09 PM
David,

I appreciate you taking the time to help, but its not a matter of the .cfg files or command line parameters as of this time. There is actually something wrong with LWSN.exe. either way, I have all the .Cfg Files pointing in the proper place along with the parameters. I will take a look at it later, but i don't see how i could be missing anything...thank you

Phil
09-15-2006, 04:58 PM
For me, I think part of the issue on the nodes is linked to rapts.p - various texture handlers go AWOL unless I have the LWEXT9.CFG under %userprofile%, despite no reference being made to that .cfg file in the LWSN command line.

I'm inclined to think something is broken. :/

Yep. Put the exact same lwext9.cfg file from the server onto the node under %userprofile% (and just that .cfg file, nothing else) and all my plugin woes go away. Very strange, completely unexplainable. There are no path issues that I can see. I'll file a bug unless someone can shed some light on this.

arsad
09-15-2006, 06:46 PM
And don't forget to make the lwext9.cfg write only! (once you have the right
references to your z: drive)

Because otherwise each time you start LW it will rewrite them with the reference to c: (the drive you installed LW on)
This is broken since early beta of 9, but alas many posts and bug reports in open beta, NT doesn't react!

Scott C. Zupek
09-15-2006, 07:34 PM
do you mean read only? My host doesnt do any rendering. I am trying to get it to work for 1 node before i have the HOST do any rendering. Plus I have the node looking locally for the .cfg files, which are linked to the shared drive(inside the .cfg file). I have also tried linking the .cfg to the host(which looks at its local paths) which are lcoated in two folders. The HOST %username% folder (linked to \newtek\lightwave9...)lw*.cfg points and in teh config file(linked to the newtek\lightwave9...).

So as you can see i've tried just about everyway possible, same end result and even though it does the rendering and it takes a 35 sec(1 frame), still no output in output folder

All the different ways I have tried were with the .cfg files as read/write

I am going to try setting it up @ home on my local machine which are MACS. However since I am just doing it 100% locally(dual processor) i'f i get it to work, then i use the laptop as a node to see if I still get the same end result. I'll post...

arsad
09-15-2006, 07:47 PM
Yep read only! sorry for that glitch.

what do you mean by "linked" to the shared drive?

Insinde the LWEXT9.cfg the links to the plugins should look like this:

{ Entry
Class "ImageSaver"
Name "LW_TGA24(.tga)"
Module "Y:\\Plugins\\input-output\\tga.p"
}

Well, I guess you are doing something wrong. As I don't completely understand what you do it is hard to help.

Be sure to read the matt gorner Screamernet tutorial and fully understand it.

http://www.newtek-europe.com/Stuff/LightWave/Misc/MattGorner_ScreamerNet_Tutorial.pdf

arsad
09-15-2006, 08:05 PM
ok, i re-read your initial post.
What you want to do is split frame rendering. And this is not a feature of the native LW networkrenderer.
You could set up 2 scenes with limited region and render one scene each on host and node. And then
put it together with Photoshop or so.

But that doesn't change the fact, that LWsn doesn't find your plugins. Image savers are plugins as well!
So if he can't find the plugin he calculates but doesn't output anything. So make sure that your node "sees" the plugins

Scott C. Zupek
09-15-2006, 11:09 PM
ok, i re-read your initial post.
What you want to do is split frame rendering. And this is not a feature of the native LW networkrenderer.
You could set up 2 scenes with limited region and render one scene each on host and node. And then
put it together with Photoshop or so.

But that doesn't change the fact, that LWsn doesn't find your plugins. Image savers are plugins as well!
So if he can't find the plugin he calculates but doesn't output anything. So make sure that your node "sees" the plugins

i'll try to make it easier...here is what i test

NODE >
1. bat file points to LOCAL cfg file
local cfg file on node points to share folder on host(z:\\plugins\\..)
2. bat file points to the HOST cfg file
host cfg file points to local folder(c:\\newtek\\lightwave9\...)
3. 2 over again with the .cfg files located under c:\documents....\%username) but still calling HOST cfg file

as for split render, its okay if i cant get it to split render one frame right now i am concerned about it working. Like i said, the NODE does the rendering and sends the files back and forth, but the plugins cant be found and yes i have verified that the plugin directory is right...

dballesg
09-16-2006, 04:07 AM
Hi Scott,

Do you have the feature Auto Scan Plugins on? Because that gave me a few problems with the Screamernet setup, until I found another thread where they said it must be off for a shared or UNC names Screamernet setup.

On monday if I have time I will do a resume of how I have it setup on the office, because I had 7 nodes there and it works.

Best regards,
David

Scott C. Zupek
09-16-2006, 12:26 PM
well I did use the scan directory feature, for the plugins to update the .cfg file, but other then that, ,I havent changed anything else. I got it working on my mac last night, no problem

Scott C. Zupek
09-18-2006, 08:50 AM
Gosh darnit. If I fill out the quickly reply box one more time and hit the "post reply" button and lose all my reply again, I think im going to stab somebody.

Long story short, im an idiot. I was copying the lw9.cfg and lw9ext.cfg files to c:\documents and settings\%username%\my documents

even though I typed a million times that I was copying it to c:\documents and settings\%username% i wasnt:( I changed all the paths inside the ifles to the correct spot and wam...saved it and everything. Sorry for wasting everybody's time. That definetly seems to be the bug fix.

On a seperate node, I was working @ home and I was able to get screamernet to work on my mac using two cmdLine's (aka bat files in dos) on 1 local machine(dual processor) and i was able to get Screamernet to get into the "ready" stat on the LAN_Node, but screamernet never picked it up. The lan_node did have a copy of lw9 on it though.

However, now that I am typing this, I think its because i was running LWSN from the LW9 directory installed on the lan_node machine. I have a feeling if I would've run LWSN (w/ lwsn cmdLine)from a shared drive(from the host) it would've detected it...

Scazzino
09-18-2006, 09:11 AM
On a seperate node, I was working @ home and I was able to get screamernet to work on my mac using two cmdLine's (aka bat files in dos) on 1 local machine(dual processor) and i was able to get Screamernet to get into the "ready" stat on the LAN_Node, but screamernet never picked it up.

Most likely had LightWave and LWSN looking in different places for the job and ack files. Here's my Mac ScreamerNet tutorial (http://dreamlight.com/insights/10/welcome.html) which may help get things sorted out.

:goodluck:

Phil
09-18-2006, 10:16 AM
Gosh darnit. If I fill out the quickly reply box one more time and hit the "post reply" button and lose all my reply again, I think im going to stab somebody.

Long story short, im an idiot. I was copying the lw9.cfg and lw9ext.cfg files to c:\documents and settings\%username%\my documents

even though I typed a million times that I was copying it to c:\documents and settings\%username% i wasnt:( I changed all the paths inside the ifles to the correct spot and wam...saved it and everything. Sorry for wasting everybody's time. That definetly seems to be the bug fix.

OK. So just to check. Despite having the LWSN command line point to remote configs, you get everything working by also having the configs under %userprofile% on the node? I've already queried Deuce about this (no reply yet) so would like to know I'm not going mad. :D

Scott C. Zupek
09-18-2006, 10:16 AM
Thanks;)

ANOTHER ISSUE WITH THE WINDOWS screamernet....it saves the output file to c:\lightwave\content\renders

but it should be saving it to the Z:\content\renders. I have checked the NODE's .CFG file and the output directory is set to Z:\content\renders...any ideas?

Scott C. Zupek
09-18-2006, 10:18 AM
OK. So just to check. Despite having the LWSN command line point to remote configs, you get everything working by also having the configs under %userprofile% on the node? I've already queried Deuce about this (no reply yet) so would like to know I'm not going mad. :D

regardless if i have the point to the remote configs or the local configs, it renders... however the output directory is set to LOCAL, when it should be set to remote(even though the cfg files are local)...

to clarify that, i have my bat file pointing to LOCAL .cfg files (c:\documents and settings\%username%) and inside those .cfg files it points to the shared drive(including the output directory)...

Phil
09-18-2006, 10:35 AM
What I'm curious about is :

Scenario
1) cfgs stored on remote machine, no cfgs at all on node. No LW install on node, just the programs folder. Scene renders to remote location.

2) Same as 1), but have cfgs on node under %userprofile% as well as on remote machine. Leave reference in .bat file to remote machine

3) Same as 1), but have scene render to location on node

4) Same as 2), but have scene render to location on node

Which of these work for you? 1) doesn't find plugins here; 2) finds plugins, but fails to save. I still need to try 3) and 4), but expect 4) to work (finally!).

This despite no local references in any config files that I can find.

Scott C. Zupek
09-18-2006, 12:22 PM
i found out that regardless of what is in the .cfg file(no matter where it is located), the output location is stored in the .lws scene file. Personally I think thats a bad thing, since a lot of home users and small business users would have different drives and setups. meaning that they have to open it, point layout to it, close layout and hub. open it again to verify and do it all over again if they take the scene file home.

node.bat file
- points to local-to-node location of .cfg file (c:\documents and settings\%USERNAME% (capitalized))
- points to local-to-host(remote) content directory

if i were to suggest a change, it would be that all the information is actually read from the .cfg files and those files are in CONFIG directorys for that CONTENT FOLDER(ex: C:\mycontentfolder\config\lw*.cfg) This mixing and matching is a real pita and can get very confusing for first time set ups...

What I'm curious about is :

Scenario
1) cfgs stored on remote machine, no cfgs at all on node. No LW install on node, just the programs folder. Scene renders to remote location.

2) Same as 1), but have cfgs on node under %userprofile% as well as on remote machine. Leave reference in .bat file to remote machine

3) Same as 1), but have scene render to location on node

4) Same as 2), but have scene render to location on node

Which of these work for you? 1) doesn't find plugins here; 2) finds plugins, but fails to save. I still need to try 3) and 4), but expect 4) to work (finally!).

This despite no local references in any config files that I can find.

Phil
09-19-2006, 01:19 AM
That has always been the case; it makes good sense to be honest. If you have several projects on the go, you want to save the output to different locations. Having this defined in the LW config files would be tricky :)

Scott C. Zupek
09-19-2006, 09:08 AM
That has always been the case; it makes good sense to be honest. If you have several projects on the go, you want to save the output to different locations. Having this defined in the LW config files would be tricky :)

having lw render to the folder specified in "Output Directory" really isnt that difficult to do. that way you have LW9.cfg and LWEXT9.cfg files per scene, not computer...

when im @ home I dont want the output folder to be the shared drive on the network @ work... thats now one more step, as a user, i have to go through before i can work on it from somewhere else...pita:thumbsdow