PDA

View Full Version : hey, wheres the sticky mac lw 9 bug thread?

eblu
09-14-2006, 08:14 AM
because I have a bug to report.

the nifty little window that pops up from clicking the button to the right of the item list at the bottom of the window in layout? yeah, it crashes Layout when you close it. its not consistent, yesterday it worked fine. Today however, it crashes Layout Every time.

no hub, clean prefs, LW v 9 build 998.
osx 10.4.7 2 gigs ram, dual 2gig g5

toby
09-15-2006, 12:22 PM
I haven't had a crash with that but I haven't really put it to use. I'll try it some more -
The sliders for Global light intensity and flare intensity are broken too!

eblu
09-15-2006, 08:49 PM
don't forget the render Globals panel vs. the camera panel... they both randomly grab control of the size of the camera. it makes you want to scream.
*I want to say a bad word here, but I won't in respect for the rest of the forum*

eidetiken
09-15-2006, 09:24 PM
I have a few problems. Don't know if they're bugs or not.

1. Fonts show up as cyrillic charters in the TextTools window.
2. After typing something once and pressing the space bar, I'm not able to go back into TextTools and type something else. The last thing I typed always shows up and I'm not able to change it without quiting and restarting modeller.
3. Sometimes when trying to face something I'll grab 5 points instead of 4, hit "p" and a little error window comes up. I have to force quit modeller because I'm not able to close the error window.
4. When trying to center pivot point sometimes I'll get a window actually telling me to restart modeller.
5. I haven't been able to really animate anything in Layout because I can't see a nice flow of my characters. Any movement causes the scene to turn into bounding box mode and I can't tell what's happening inside the bounding box.

I don't know, don't think this is a LW issue although it only happens after I've been modelling for some time. When using my Intuos tablet in modeller, sometimes I'll go look at a webpage tutorial and Safari or Firefox will automatically scroll down to the bottom of the page, and I'm not able to scroll back up. This happens in the finder windows too. Have a feeling its some key combination I'm using while modelling that are upsetting the Intuos settings somehow. Haven't figured it out yet.

toby
09-15-2006, 10:58 PM
#5 is your bounding box threshold setting in display options, turn it up until it stops happening. For example, I leave it at 1,000,000.

eidetiken
09-15-2006, 11:03 PM
thanks toby

asked about the bounding box thing before and never got a reply. That worked, kinda. Maybe now I can animate my clock.

toby
09-16-2006, 12:07 AM
Oops, sorry we missed it the first time! That normally doesn't happen, unless it's something a bit obscure, or that we're clueless on :)

toby
09-16-2006, 12:13 AM
I tried #3 and 4, they seem to work ok here. Do you know about deleting pref files, or rescanning plugins when you have problems? It might work -

eidetiken
09-16-2006, 01:29 AM
thanks toby,

Pref files as in Library/Preferences/.plist files or something else? I've tried rescanning plugins. The center pivot will work sometimes and then after awhile I get the little window to restart modeler.

What about the TextTools cyrillic stuff? Are you able to retype stuff in or does it hang on your first input?

You wouldn't happen to use a Intuos tablet, and if you do, have you ever experienced the scrolling problem in other apps after spending time in modeler?

I'm on an Intel iMac so I'm just wondering if some of this stuff is Intel specific. There are a lot of little things that happen in modeler but never had modeler v9 stop responding. Layout is a different case, Layout seems to stop responding or just crash, a lot, so I haven't been experimenting in Layout much.

I figure since I'm on an Intel Mac, if I complain about anything, I'll just get the "wait for the UB" answer". I upped the bounding box feature, so figured I would try to add hard dynamics to my clock, Layout just up and quit on me when I closed the dynamics window. Layout is a lot like a Jack-In-The-Box toy, you never know which button you push is going to make Layout just quit, or stop responding.

3dworks
09-16-2006, 01:54 AM
I figure since I'm on an Intel Mac, if I complain about anything, I'll just get the "wait for the UB" answer". I upped the bounding box feature, so figured I would try to add hard dynamics to my clock, Layout just up and quit on me when I closed the dynamics window. Layout is a lot like a Jack-In-The-Box toy, you never know which button you push is going to make Layout just quit, or stop responding.

some people here in the forum seem to have luck installing bootcamp, windows and the corresponding version of LW. maybe this could be a temporary solution to your troubles?

markus

toby
09-16-2006, 02:14 AM
Ooh, the Intel thing. Well, not only is your hardware different from mine, but your OS is different, and on top of that, LW runs under emulation until UB's out. So any test I do wouldn't apply to your setup at all.

Whenever you dump your prefs, you will lose any customization you've done to the interface or keyboard shorcuts, but you can save out a menu or shotcut file beforehand. I think the same is true with plugins too, but I haven't done it in a while...

The pref files are here: MacHD/users/Yourname/Library/Preferences
and you want to dump: Lightwave Layout 9 Prefs, Modeler Prefs, Hub Prefs and Extensions prefs, especially if they are the same prefs you got from the install.

The text tool seems pretty screwy, but I don't think that's a new problem. I've heard from people who do lots of logos that they prefer to import an EPS file from Illustrator instead.

Lastly, disabling the hub usually helps with stability, I never use it anymore. Just drag the Hub app out of the programs folder.

3dworks
09-16-2006, 02:24 AM
Lastly, disabling the hub usually helps with stability, I never use it anymore. Just drag the app out of the programs folder.

good tip, i second that!! since i disabled the hub nearly all of my stability problems with LW9 disappeared. anyway, i'm not using it for that reason since version 7...

you can also disable it simply with a '-0' entry in the modeler and layout cmdline....

eblu
09-16-2006, 09:07 AM
I have a few problems. Don't know if they're bugs or not.

1. Fonts show up as cyrillic charters in the TextTools window.
2. After typing something once and pressing the space bar, I'm not able to go back into TextTools and type something else. The last thing I typed always shows up and I'm not able to change it without quiting and restarting modeller.

hi eidetiken!
Lightwave doesn't deal with fonts like any other program. number 1 sounds like you have a few fonts that are incompatible. Lightwave isn't the most robust program when it comes to fonts and without doing too much work, it Sounds like those fonts are Not unicode. As for number 2... it sounds like a philosophical difference between what the tool does and what you expect it to do. It sounds like you expect the model to still be type... thats not the case.

o yeah, using a wacom in modeler is ok, but you have to tell it in the preferences that you are doing so. I'm not in front of LW now but I think its in the options panel (o will bring it up) under the heading "mouse tracking".
I prefer using the mouse for 3d though.

eidetiken
09-16-2006, 12:40 PM
hi eblu

Didn't mean to hijack your thread. Would be nice to have LW9 bugs sticky.

I have tablet selected in the prefs in modeler, but I use the mouse in Layout so have mouse selected in layout.

I tried making some road signs. Stop, Route 66, etc. on different layers. When I bring up the TextTool and type in "Stop", it works. When I choose another layer and bring up the TextTool, Stop is in the area where I want to type in Route 66. Only way I can clear Stop out is to restart modeler. Once restarted I'll chose my seperate layer and type in Route 66. If I want to do a speed sign then I have to restart modeler to clear Route 66 out of the field. If that makes since.

Only fonts I have are the ones that came with my iMac, and over half of them show up as cyrillic jibberish in the fonts field. Not sure which or truetype and which aren't.