PDA

View Full Version : SubD Catmull-Clark

gabrieloy
09-14-2006, 06:32 AM
I am a little distrustful to use Catmull-Clark and later have problems with UV and other things. Somebody already used with satisfactory results?

kmaas
09-14-2006, 06:37 AM
Yeah - they've got some major problems in the edge weighting department. If you'd like to see it, draw a box, CC subdivide it, edge weight the top and bottom so it's a cylinder, and knife it in half from side to side (I think). I remember this being one of the first things I tried with CC's, and it failed miserably. Granted, you can fix it by clearing the edge weights and reapplying them, but that seems like a grand waste of time to me.

Matt
09-14-2006, 07:15 AM
I think it's a sensible man who waits until the next round of updates, if it were me, I would have left CC out of v9 until it worked 100%.

frantbk
09-14-2006, 07:32 AM
Yeah - they've got some major problems in the edge weighting department. If you'd like to see it, draw a box, CC subdivide it, edge weight the top and bottom so it's a cylinder, and knife it in half from side to side (I think). I remember this being one of the first things I tried with CC's, and it failed miserably. Granted, you can fix it by clearing the edge weights and reapplying them, but that seems like a grand waste of time to me.

Why would you apply the edge weight and then split the object in half? Why wouldn't split the object and then apply the edge weight?

gabrieloy
09-14-2006, 07:38 AM
tkx all for the fast answers. let's continue making 3-4 sides gons..

frantbk
09-14-2006, 08:26 AM
I not really awake yet guys, so my post might be a little blunt. What I'm trying to say is, did it fail because it didn't apply the edge weight to the object as two different objects or did it simple keep the edge weight as it was over two objects as if it was one complete object?

IF the edge weight was kept as one over two objects then it might not be a bug, but the way the tool was desgined. Therefore what NT needs to do is have a automatic requester ask if you want to apply the edge weight as two different objects or keep it as one.

kmaas
09-14-2006, 11:18 AM
Why would you apply the edge weight and then split the object in half? Why wouldn't split the object and then apply the edge weight?

No, I don't mean cut the edges that have the weights on them. I mean, cut through the edges that you haven't touched yet. Try it - you get kind of a bizarre output that is very hard to explain without trying it. **Edit** Besides that, it was really only an example. Cutting a box in half after making it into a cylinder is not something I expect to be doing every day, but it shows the problem easily.

And, I guess my point was if I need to edit something after I've weighted it, I'd really like to be able to do it without having to redo work I've already done. I just don't want to be stuck with something I can't make changes to without wrecking.

frantbk
09-14-2006, 02:06 PM
No, I don't mean cut the edges that have the weights on them. I mean, cut through the edges that you haven't touched yet. Try it - you get kind of a bizarre output that is very hard to explain without trying it. **Edit** Besides that, it was really only an example. Cutting a box in half after making it into a cylinder is not something I expect to be doing every day, but it shows the problem easily.

And, I guess my point was if I need to edit something after I've weighted it, I'd really like to be able to do it without having to redo work I've already done. I just don't want to be stuck with something I can't make changes to without wrecking.

Sounds to me that with a little more thought about it you have something that should be posted in the features request section of the forum. :thumbsup: