PDA

View Full Version : 7.5c?

lord
06-09-2003, 01:37 AM
Any problems with the 7.5C update from those who've made the leap of faith?

Or is it all smooth sailing now?

Would love to hear how others are getting on.

:)

Cheers,

Lord

riki
06-09-2003, 02:08 AM
Seems okay no major problems, just the usual.

Beamtracer
06-09-2003, 02:54 AM
There are numerous other threads already started on this topic:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4568
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4838
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4840
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5560

lord
06-09-2003, 04:04 AM
Hey Beam, I was aware of the threads you've mentioned, just that the 7.5c thing seemed to have gotten quiet except for the thread about the magic vanishing panels.
I was just wondering if that meant things were ok (aside from the disapearing panels) or not.
No news is good news maybe?

;)

Cheers,

Lord

NickLambert
06-09-2003, 04:37 PM
I have had a number of issues with 7.5c
& have now returned to 7.5. There seems
to be issues with some 3rd party plugins,
so if you are using a pure 7.5c then it could be OK. I have also had no luck with
the DVView render, but that could be a
problem with PAL as other NTSC users
seem to be OK. As for both applications crashing, I still save
often - even in 7.5, but this could be 3rd party plugins also. As I need them I live with it. Lets hope LW8 is rock solid, otherwise I may have to start looking elsewhere :-(

lord
06-09-2003, 04:53 PM
Hey NickLambert
What OS X incarnation are you using?
Other posts suggest that some of the updates to OS X impare performance.

Really want to know whether it's worth updating or not.

I'm also considering reverting to an earlier OS X update (I'm on 10.2.6). But that apparently woud mean a total reinstall, and I'm not to keen on that.

Cheers,

Lord

NickLambert
06-10-2003, 02:44 PM
Hi Lord,
The "incarnation" of OSX is a new install of 10.2.6 via Apples updates from 10.2. As for updates to OSX imparing performance I have not had any speed or
graphic card problems. Though as the threads show ATI cards seem to have had trouble (I have Nvidia) & OSX is slower than OS9.

As to whether it's worth updating or not, if you are not using any 3rd party plugs then I'd say at least try it, I did & returned to 7.5 when my plugins stopped working. But do backup before hand :-). I use Retrospect Express & if all else fails you can quickly return to your old setup.

On the subject of reverting to an earlier OS X, you can do a "clean" install with the Jaguar disk. It will take you back to 10.2, but with all user & network settings etc. intact. (When you get to the select destination screen click options & turn on "Archive & install' and also "Preserve users & network settings").

You will have to re-install the Sentinal driver for LW & any other Software that makes changes to the OS. As most programs do not alter the System files you should be OK. I do understand you not being keen on it, but it's not as bad as wiping everything.

Hope this helps,

Nick

lord
06-10-2003, 07:21 PM
Hey NickLambert

Thanks heaps for all that it's a big help. Think I'll stick with 7.5 for now. Might reinstall OS X 10.2 though.

See what happens

The Plugin things probibly because the updated LScript I assume. I'm quite reliant on several Plugins myself which I'm not happy to be without.

Cheers,

Lord

Zarathustra
06-11-2003, 11:35 AM
Threads get sidetracked and I don't blame you for not wanting to read through them all just to get a simple answer to a simple question.

Personally, I'm afraid to update. My advice, if you're curious, is to first move your config files to your Lightwave 3D 7.5 folder. Instructions for this are explained in the Worms of Art SNII tut. You can then have a new folder, Lightwave 3D 7.5c (or whatever you want to call it) and install into there, so you'd have 2 versions available for use.
Was that clear enough? It sounds complicated, but it's really not.

The only thing that intrigues me about 7.5c is the surface thickness thing. I don't believe they made anything faster.

toby
06-11-2003, 01:05 PM
Also invaluable in 7.5c is the Surface Mixer - If you've ever tried to dirty-up chrome or metal for a realistic surface, you'll know what I mean - to put your dirt texture on you had to put it in multiple channels, spec, diffuse, reflection, color, then tweaking is a headache

NickLambert
06-11-2003, 02:27 PM
Lord,

Glad I could be of help, and yes the updated LScript seems to be one of the main problems with plugins. Lukasz Pazera (ACS4) backed me up on this & was very helpful with many e-mails on the subject.(Great plugin & great support)

Atb,

Nick

mwh710
06-12-2003, 06:04 PM
Are you saying ASC4 does not work well with 7.5c. Just need to get it clear. Thanks.

NickLambert
06-13-2003, 03:01 PM
I have not been able to get ASC4 to work with 7.5c on the Mac, but it is fine in 7.5. It is such a great animation tool & I would recommend it to anyone. The support from it's developer is also outstanding.
To clarify, there seems to be a problem with LScript in 7.5c on the Mac & this is effecting other 3rd party developers also, not just ACS4.
Hope that helps :-)

Nick

lord
06-13-2003, 06:51 PM
:(
Just to let anybody interested know, I've stuck the Mac in the corner (reluctantly) and got a bloody good deal on a decent PC. The Mac was getting on a bit and we couldn't justify the cost of a new Mac at the moment, particularly with the advent of the 64 bits on their way.
I hate to loose my Mac, but the rest of the studio's PC as well so it just made sense.
The Mac-Lightwave a - b - c thing made the decission easier.
:(

Cheers

Traitor

pazur
06-16-2003, 10:19 AM
Just on a side note as You guys mentioned ACS4. The problem with ACS4 and 7.5c has been confirmed so I'm afraid I have to officialy say that ACS4 doesn't work under 7.5c. I'll let You know (on ACS4 site) as soon as this gets solved...

NickLambert
06-16-2003, 05:51 PM
Lukasz,
If I can help in anyway with solving the problem with ACS4 and 7.5c please let me know. As you know I have returned to 7.5 because I can't live without ACS4, it saves me hours!!. So It only feels right to offer those spare hours to helping out.

atb,
Nick.

[email protected]
http://www.ddstudios.co.uk