PDA

View Full Version : Layout Rigging Question

Wickster
09-13-2006, 02:59 PM
Introduction:
Hi Gurus!!!
I have a qcuick question about rigs.

Background:
I'm trying tranfer a rig from one biped character to another. But the 2 characters have completely different traits, longer legs, longer arms, wider hips, bigger foot and bigger head. So I would have to modify the rig to fit the character correctly. This is sort of my first time delving deep into layout (i usually hang out in club Modeler :D ) so i feel really insecure about my whole being when i'm in layout. heheh.

Question:
What are the steps do I need to do to edit the rig in layout without distorting the 2nd character?

Problems Encountered:
I tried turing off the bones, turning off the deformation then editing the bones. But as soon as I turn deformation on, it distorts the 2nd character. Even with the "r" (record rest) button, some distortion still happens after switching on the deformation.

Gratitudes:
Thank you in advance and thank you right now. :)

meshpig
09-14-2006, 02:29 AM
Wickster,

- first, see if the model has skelegons in modeler. If so, cut and paste them from one model to the other and edit them there.

- If not Import/Export the rig. Don't do it in the one scene because that's more work than just rigging the thing from scratch.

-I strongly suggest you just go headlong into the whole process of rigging anyway.... if that doesn't sound too pompous?

M

TomR
09-14-2006, 08:47 AM
Hi.
Maybe this will help you: http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showpost.php?p=148842&postcount=138

Wickster
09-15-2006, 01:31 AM
Wickster,

- first, see if the model has skelegons in modeler. If so, cut and paste them from one model to the other and edit them there.

- If not Import/Export the rig. Don't do it in the one scene because that's more work than just rigging the thing from scratch.

-I strongly suggest you just go headlong into the whole process of rigging anyway.... if that doesn't sound too pompous?

M
Thanks for the replies!!!
The problem i had with that meshpig was that the rig i wanted to use alsread had ik and what not alreaddy setup to it so by loading it in modeler i lose all the ik data.

Checking that link out now TomR.

again many thanks to all.

particledecay
04-19-2007, 09:53 PM
Hmmm this rigging video (http://lwrig.blanos.com/files/Rigs/) is a perfect example of concerns I have with the methods I'm using with the current CA tools.

The objective of the video demonstration is to scale the model by 50% (anchor 0,0,0) which it achieves and the end result is useable.

...BUT...

It takes a lot of manual labour. It takes over 40 mins and hundreds of fiddly operations for the instructor to perform what I believe is a simple mathematical translation. I've had rigging problems many times with attempting rig ports between similar characters. I'm rigging my tenth humanoid character and I just can't stand the thought of spending another week testing and animating basics and re-inventing the wheel.

I've used a custom rig (which I've built from scratch following tutes) for each occasion, but I'd dearly love to be able to make better use of my time than repeating basic rig setup and testing.

What am I missing? Is there a Newtek endorsed "standard" humanoid rig that I can import, fine tune easily, and save, load and share my poses / animations?

Proto.

SplineGod
04-20-2007, 10:16 AM
I was watching the first part of that rigging video. If you choose to rig that way it is extremely tedious and labor intensive. If you use the draw child bones tool and some of the other setup tools like joint move its MUCH faster. The way he is rigging in that video is that way I used to do it before bone tools or skelegons.
Since LW8 there are tools to scale a heirarchy or parts of a heirarchy such as arms or legs or a full rig. You can save and load a full rig or parts of a rig.
You can adjust the orientation of bones and joints very easily. With the joint move tool you can go into a rig and 'prebend' the joints so the IK works better even if it was done wrong to begin with. Joint move also automatically sets the rest length of a bone or bones when used.
Using these tools dramatically cuts down the rigging time. I can draw most of the bones for a character in seconds and adjusting them goes quickly as well.