PDA

View Full Version : 8 Core Mac!

Darth Mole
09-13-2006, 01:02 PM
This would (will?) be an amazing workstation:

http://anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2832&p=6

RonGC
09-14-2006, 05:42 PM
Good find. That is good news Finally a CPU upgradeable Mac. The article on doing the bootcamp Xp install is excellent as well.

Ron

kfinla
09-14-2006, 09:25 PM
cool.. thats what ive been witing to hear.. and purchase.

mike_stening
09-15-2006, 03:37 AM
looks promising, though will LW be able to make full use of all 8 cores?, cos even now on my quad LW can be seen to be only using 2 and a bit cores especially where transparency and AA is involved. though admitedly when it is working on solid objects it tends to max out on all 4 cores.

BeeVee
09-15-2006, 04:47 AM
Multicore rendering is distinctly improved with LightWave v9's Perspective camera where processors are dynamically allocated so *all* should be at 100% nearly all the time.

B

Darth Mole
09-15-2006, 05:14 AM
And judging by the story, Apple could make and ship one, well, pretty much now. Gawd knows how powerful the real thing will be when they release it next year (which they invariably will).

Anyone have any idea what sort of chips might be in it (I'm, not up on Intel's bizarre 'Woodchip' and 'Cloverspread' codenames.)

mike_stening
09-15-2006, 05:20 AM
i think from reading that article it will be a version of the Xeon which is used i n the current intel macs, the code names just refer to the speed version of each and the core configuration (2 or 4)

toby
09-15-2006, 05:20 AM
looks promising, though will LW be able to make full use of all 8 cores?
Oh h*ll yes! Raytracing, Radiosity, AA, Motion blur, Blurred reflections - they all take advantage of up to 8 cores.
The issue of not using 100% of the processors 100% of the time happens with single core dual procs as well. As long as you can set LW to render 1 thread per core it can take advantage of all of them. If I wanted to make it render at 100%, 100% of the time, I'd start up one LWSN node per core ( or one copy of LW ) - then there'd be no idle processors just because something isn't multi-threaded.

This is great news, I'm sure I can hold out until a dual quad-core is released!

mike_stening
09-15-2006, 05:23 AM
my concern is that i do alot of print res renders (stills) so farming it out doesn't work for me, and i tend to get a size limit of just under A2, but even at that size if transparency is involved core usage is not as comprehensive as it should be.

___mats___
09-16-2006, 03:38 PM
Mike -

Check renderfarm commander for mac, You can farm render jobs to different machines for print work.. each one rendering a specific segment of the print image and then re-assembling it.

works great for print work, posters, etc.. any res supported

mike_stening
09-18-2006, 02:43 AM
isn't there a problem though with stitching the segments back together with mismatching in AA.

dsol
09-18-2006, 05:43 AM
AFAIK the mismatching happens more with radiosity + GI renders. It'd be great if Bruce could add a kind of buffer (or rather, border) to the multi segment rendering of RFC, like a 32 or 64 pixel overlap with smooth blending between the different rendered segments. to minimise any visual discrepancies between the segment edges.