PDA

View Full Version : OT - OSX Finder

toby
09-12-2006, 08:18 PM
I just stumbled onto a different kind of Info window; cmnd-i is the normal window, and cmnd-option-i gives you a window that updates to each file you choose, or multiple files. You don't need 10 windows to look at 10 files' info!

Chilton
09-12-2006, 09:43 PM
I just stumbled onto a different kind of Info window; cmnd-i is the normal window, and cmnd-option-i gives you a window that updates to each file you choose, or multiple files. You don't need 10 windows to look at 10 files' info!

Hi Toby,

Yeah, that's an Inspector!

Apple is trying like heck to get developers to put Inspectors in everything. XCode uses them by default for some things, which really drives you nuts when you think it's a normal Info window. They've made a point of saying it's more efficient, especially in the iWork suite.

It's hard to say if this is a better object information metaphor or not. I'm not a fan of it, but I've changed my mind on a few things. For example, many people lamented the loss of the spacial window placement in the Finder, once Apple started pushing the Windows File Explorer-esque Finder window. But now, despite that I can turn on spacial window placement (and turn off the metal window), I find that I prefer the single window mode after all.

Who knows.

-Chilton

toby
09-12-2006, 10:24 PM
Hey big C

Interesting, the cmnd-option-i gives you the Info window like OS9 did, right? My memory's failing me as to which OS version, but I remember when you'd always get all your files' info in one window, which I preferred - it's cool to have both options. But I also prefer a-window-per-folder over Explorer style, even though I'm used to it from being on pc at work...

Captain Obvious
09-13-2006, 12:03 AM
I miss the spatial Finder. :(

But on the other hand, column view is awesome.

Weepul
09-13-2006, 12:45 AM
But I also prefer a-window-per-folder over Explorer style, even though I'm used to it from being on pc at work...

I miss the spatial Finder. :(

But on the other hand, column view is [email protected] Obvious: the what?

@Both: Err, ever since I switched to OS X I've used icon view and set it up to open folders in their own windows. Call me old fashioned, I even keep all my windows switched from the brushed metal to Aqua window style in 10.4. :p Sure, it's a pain that the Finder keeps forgetting which window style I've set for whatever folder at random, but I just switch it back. :neener:

So, what're you guys talking about?

toby
09-13-2006, 12:58 AM
@Captain Obvious: the what?

@Both: Err, ever since I switched to OS X I've used icon view and set it up to open folders in their own windows. Call me old fashioned, I even keep all my windows switched from the brushed metal to Aqua window style in 10.4. :p Sure, it's a pain that the Finder keeps forgetting which window style I've set for whatever folder at random, but I just switch it back. :neener:

I don't like the fat metal border either.

The Finder's not forgetting your window setting, it just doesn't save the window setting unless you changed it yourself. It will open new folder windows in the same style as the window that folder resides in, but that setting's not saved. You can make an Automator script that opens your selected folder (and all subfolders) and change them all at once.

I don't know what the spatial Finder is either -

Weepul
09-13-2006, 01:14 AM
The Finder's not forgetting your window setting, it just doesn't save the window setting unless you changed it yourself. It will open new folder windows in the same style as the window that folder resides in, but that setting's not saved.No, I'm pretty sure it has opened folders I've previously set with the wrong style. It's quite likely some of the times have been windows which had simply previously opened in the style I wanted. Still, I am 100% sure there have been times it was a window I'd previously set, both regular folders and other "folders" (such as the [username's] Computer window and the Trash.)

You can make an Automator script that opens your selected folder (and all subfolders) and change them all at once.Ooh...interesting...I ought to look into that, thanks. :)

toby
09-13-2006, 01:22 AM
No, I'm pretty sure it has opened folders I've previously set with the wrong style. It's quite likely some of the times have been windows which had simply previously opened in the style I wanted. Still, I am 100% sure there have been times it was a window I'd previously set, both regular folders and other "folders" (such as the [username's] Computer window and the Trash.)
I think the Trash deletes it's own settings file and reverts to default when you restart :foreheads

BazC
09-13-2006, 02:51 AM
I even keep all my windows switched from the brushed metal to Aqua window style in 10.4. :p

Hmm, was that a new feature in 10.4? I don't like the brushed metal look either, is there any way to change it in 10.3?

Scazzino
09-13-2006, 08:13 AM
Click the little "pill" widget in the upper right of a window for "old-style" windows...

Scazzino
09-13-2006, 08:16 AM
After all these years with Mac OS X, I can't believe the Finder still lacks a print window command like we had back in Mac OS 9...

:foreheads

BazC
09-13-2006, 08:18 AM
Click the little "pill" widget in the upper right of a window for "old-style" windows...

Ah! I see what you mean, I like the new style windows, just don't like the brushed metal :( I'll put up with it though! Thanks for the info!

gatz
09-13-2006, 09:27 AM
After all these years with Mac OS X, I can't believe the Finder still lacks a print window command like we had back in Mac OS 9...

:foreheads

Yea, but at least Print Window is free.

rg

Scazzino
09-13-2006, 10:27 AM
Yea, but at least Print Window is free.

rg

True, and I use it, but it's still not as good as the old Mac OS 9 Finder's print command. Back then I could arrange a file listing any way I wanted, with some folders expanded and others closed and then print the window. I often did this to show the contents of a backup CD-ROM.

I wish I could do that in Mac OS X... it seems like such an oversight in Mac OS X's Finder... ;-)

Chilton
09-13-2006, 10:56 AM
True, and I use it, but it's still not as good as the old Mac OS 9 Finder's print command. Back then I could arrange a file listing any way I wanted, with some folders expanded and others closed and then print the window. I often did this to show the contents of a backup CD-ROM.

I wish I could do that in Mac OS X... it seems like such an oversight in Mac OS X's Finder... ;-)

It's really a bummer when they take away features like that. Which reminds me, you do know that there are no Folders in Leopard, right? You just have one giant pile of files and you use Spotlight to navigate them.

-Chilton

Scazzino
09-13-2006, 10:59 AM
It's really a bummer when they take away features like that. Which reminds me, you do know that there are no Folders in Leopard, right? You just have one giant pile of files and you use Spotlight to navigate them.

-Chilton

Good one! ;)

I wouldn't put it past them! :jester:

gatz
09-13-2006, 03:56 PM

-Chilton

No, I'd use EasyFind. Spotlight and the built in Find generate too many results and just seems like overkill 99% of the time.

rg

geck
09-13-2006, 07:06 PM
No, I'd use EasyFind. Spotlight and the built in Find generate too many results and just seems like overkill 99% of the time.

rg
I've found they also omit system files from their searches. A definate pain when you're trying to tidy things up...