PDA

View Full Version : Animating a smooth shift

Simon3D
09-12-2006, 05:45 PM
Hi, I'm relatively new to lightwave.. (I am using v. 8.5)

I have created a very simple 3D house object in Modeler. I used the 'smooth shift' function to break the house into the different polygons.. I'm not sure how to explain this - but basically I want to animate the house beings broken apart (like what happens when you use smooth shift). How can I achieve this using Lightwave? Is there a way to use the same functions as modeler in the main Lightwave program?

thanks

Darth Mole
09-13-2006, 01:48 AM
Probably the best way is to model the house, split it into its separate panels (sides, roofs etc) and cut and paste them into different layers. Import the entire model into Layout - which, at this point, looks like a complete house - and then keyframe the panels (individual layers) being moved apart.

I dont quite know what you mean by Smooth Shift, as this extends existing polygons, which would make the house 'bigger'.

meshpig
09-13-2006, 02:42 AM
If you want to explode the house, or simulate the explosion manually as in what appears as "smoorh shift" in modeler? - ( "smooth shift" is really a tool for sensible modification)

This is useful;

- as in envelope the size of the rendered polygons (polygon size) in the exploded object in conjunction with the emitters,morphs and object's coordinates.

-You can get the bits and pieces of the house in the aftermath of the explosion pretty much under control if it's on the one layer by morphing the object... That will give you the full spectrum of modeler tools retrospectively.

:)

M

Darth Mole
09-13-2006, 04:28 AM
I guess you could create a morph between a tiny (near-zero) smooth shift and then a large one - that way you could anmimate the morph map.

You'd need the first small (imperceptible) smooth shift as morphs only work on objects with the same point count.

Alternatively, you could create a morph for each surface (walls, roof, etc) allowing you to animate them all separately.

meshpig
09-13-2006, 06:09 AM
DarthMole

..."smooth shift" only affects polygons in Modeler so morphing the same effect = zero.

What's the big deal though? Just morph the same verts as in a smooth shift.
Otherwise use HardFX!

:) M

Darth Mole
09-13-2006, 08:46 AM
Yeah: make object, smooth shift polys. Create morph target. Smooth shift polys some more. Make another morph target. Animate morph targets in Layout.

uh?

pixelinfected
09-13-2006, 10:02 AM
to animate extruded obj search on flay.com a plugin free called sgfertilizer
it0s amazing tool and it's free

meshpig
09-14-2006, 12:58 AM
Pixelinfected - "Sgfertilizer" unfortunately isn't available for us in macworld...

:cursin:
M

pixelinfected
09-14-2006, 04:15 AM
search a script called shifter in denis potonnier, here :
http://perso.orange.fr/dpont/plugins/Shifter_Plugin.htm
is for win and mac.

meshpig
09-14-2006, 05:53 AM
Good going... Doctor!

:thumbsup:

M