PDA

View Full Version : DigitalDoman and Saab Transformer advert...

SaturnX
09-12-2006, 05:27 PM
The Ad...
http://www.digitaldomain.com/links/comm/recentwork/RW10/RW10.htm

the making of...
http://www.digitaldomain.com/links/comm/behindscenes/BHS2/bhs2.htm

The preview with the title overlay looks similar to lw.
I wonder if any of that was lightwave.

;)

Anyway, its pretty cool.

toby
09-12-2006, 05:59 PM
You're right, that's all LW.:beerchug:

faulknermano
09-12-2006, 10:01 PM
REALLY???? you're not kidding right? i thought the "previz" was in LW, but i had an impression (probably from the other shots) that the "final" output was something else totally? are you SURE that was all LW?

toby
09-12-2006, 10:20 PM
I'm 99% sure. I worked on the following commercial, the head-to-head race between the jet and the car. I had to convert the model from LW to Max because my shots were being done in VRay.

It's here on YouTube :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrU-3MNgLSw
All the Jet shots up to the takeoff are VRay, everything after is LW

faulknermano
09-12-2006, 11:38 PM
awesome! meaning both the the takeoff commercial and the fact that LW was used for the transformer one. going to plug this piece of info around here. :D

toby
09-13-2006, 12:36 AM
Transformer was the coolest one. :grumpy:

Weepul
09-13-2006, 01:09 AM
Cool! (Is it wrong that I loved the environment more than the rendering of the model? :D)

Those "transformer"-style animations always boggle my mind...how do people think of all the bits and pieces to include and animate, even if they're physically impossible. ;)

toby
09-13-2006, 01:18 AM
Cool! (Is it wrong that I loved the environment more than the rendering of the model? :D)

Yes it is wrong! That was all filmed, it's real! :tsktsk:

Weepul
09-13-2006, 01:47 AM
Yes it is wrong! That was all filmed, it's real! :tsktsk:
Aww. It's always such a letdown to find some awesome-looking environment wasn't actually a product of CG - though from the breakdown, it looks like it was manipulated a good bit.

Don't get me wrong, I really liked the model and animation! It's just that the lighting and reflections on it weren't totally convincing to my eyes. It had that "linear, non-gamma-adjusted" look that straight LW renders of glassy materials have. Whether or not they actually did anything to compensate for it, it looked that way to me. 8/

DiscoBurgess
09-13-2006, 02:07 AM
There's some really good stuff on DD's site, it's worth having a poke around.

Bog
09-13-2006, 03:14 AM
That's really nice. It's the little touches - bits of wiring loom being exposed by sliding plates, the exhaust tabs irising around a puff of flame, the SUV engine block rolling into position. Veh nice indeed.

Then again, I've come to expect Very Good Things from DD, both in their motion picture work and in their commercials department.

toby
09-13-2006, 03:52 AM
Aww. It's always such a letdown to find some awesome-looking environment wasn't actually a product of CG - though from the breakdown, it looks like it was manipulated a good bit.

Don't get me wrong, I really liked the model and animation! It's just that the lighting and reflections on it weren't totally convincing to my eyes. It had that "linear, non-gamma-adjusted" look that straight LW renders of glassy materials have. Whether or not they actually did anything to compensate for it, it looked that way to me. 8/
Everything gets heavily massaged after it comes out of a real camera or Lightwave, whether it needs it or not, it seems to me. You can bet it's the way they want it to look. I have handed off good looking renders only to have them sabotaged by a compositor, vfx or client -