PDA

View Full Version : What is SSS?

BlackOpsBen
09-12-2006, 12:03 PM
I still have a lot to learn about lightwave. I've been seeing things about, "SSS" all over. What is it?

MiniFireDragon
09-12-2006, 12:20 PM
in short, sub surface scattering. To see a RL example, put flash light under your hand and look at it. U can see the light (how ever barely) through your hand, that is SSS. Lightwave now implements that in rendering.

Wickster
09-12-2006, 12:30 PM
I hear on the radio, for women it's "secret strip song." when they hear that certain song, which "EVERY" woman has, they'd imagine themselves dancing and well... wait? am i on the right forum? ...heheh sorry ignore this post. :o :D

but yeah, what minifiredragon said. it basically used for correctly rendering light penetrating through the skin bouncing inside it before reflecting out.

Warwind
09-12-2006, 01:36 PM
And does turning it on merely amount to enabling Radiosity, or is there more to it than that?

Warwind
09-12-2006, 03:30 PM
Thanks, but this is way over my head (no pun intended) at this point...

Seems like if one person gets a skin texture to the point where what they've cooked up looks exactly like real skin, can't other people just plug in the same settings and get the same result? Or are people reluctant to share their recipes? Unless I missed it, nobody's posting objects, just pictures...

I'm going to go look for tutorials on skin texturing now! :lwicon:

CMT
09-12-2006, 03:39 PM
Thanks, but this is way over my head (no pun intended) at this point...

Seems like if one person gets a skin texture to the point where what they've cooked up looks exactly like real skin, can't other people just plug in the same settings and get the same result? Or are people reluctant to share their recipes? Unless I missed it, nobody's posting objects, just pictures...

I'm going to go look for tutorials on skin texturing now! :lwicon:

Theoretically yes. But you are bound to have to adjust the settings for model size and varying thicknesses, different color textures, etc.... You will still need to know what you are doing to get the optimal settings for your particular model.

There have been pics posted of basic node setups. And most are pretty decent.

loki74
09-12-2006, 04:31 PM
SSS is subsurface scattering, the effect seen when light enters an object, bounces around, and exits again. This behavior is frequently seen in day to day life, not just in skin, but in wax, marble, milk, and a myriad of other things as well.

It really doesnt have much to do with Radiosity, which is a form of Global Illumination (that is, accounting for all sources of emitted and reflected light) which accounts for light that is reflected off surfaces onto other surfaces. Note that this is also different from Caustics, which account for light being re-focused by refractive objects, thus hitting another surface in an interesting pattern.

SSS is implemented into LW as a shader node--not unlike the standard Lambert (evenly diffusive) model which is also a node, as well as (as far as I know) the standard shading model used by LW before nodes came along. Before LW9, there were a number of plugins that allowed for SSS shading.

BlackOpsBen
09-12-2006, 08:10 PM
Thank you all for the answers! I think I still have a lot to learn about lighting. Using Lightwave has given me an interest in physics! I loved the section on light cause It was like, dude I learned the same concept in a 3D world!!!