PDA

View Full Version : splinecontrol how to rig it

t4d
06-08-2003, 07:09 PM
ok the new LW 7.5 b spline control worked well for a job did a while ago where i just needed a flowing underwater weed that wrapped around a leg

but now i need each end of the spline attached to different objects

i want to animate both the objects and have the spline work between them i don't mind animating the spline points inbetween ( well there really no other way =)
but how to i parent the start & end to objects or nulls ??

this plug in thing seems alittle half baked for a Newtek plugin ??
why aren't the control points nulls ?
why don't there keys show up on the timeline ??

t4d
06-09-2003, 09:13 PM
well since found out by wasting afair bit of time :mad:
that the splinecontrol is a useless plugin
that really can only be uses for only the most simplest scenes

you can only get to the node channels in the graph editor !

you can't parent the nodes to anything you can only parent things to the nodes !!!! even if you uses expressions!
again why arn't they nulls ????????????????????????

both of these make it pretty useless :confused:
hope we get more then this fixed in LW8 :rolleyes:

what was the point of adding this plug in to the lw7.5b release another then wasting users time when they think it's a proper plugin

best uses FI_bezierbend instead it was written outside the Newtek office and it works ALOT better :confused:

and FI_bezierbend was released before 7.5b again why release it at all when there something better for users already :confused:

Bog
03-01-2004, 09:51 AM
Heya t4d,

Take a breath and chill. Whilst it's not really expounded on well enough in the docs, the spline nodes are acessable interactively in Layout. You need to add a button to your Layout interface - I've tucked my SplineControl button in the Items menu. Once this button's pressed, your nodes will appear in the OpenGL view and you can drag 'em around.

This is a bit Kludgey, and I really hope that it's addressed, or at least documented better, in future.

*Edit* Oh, darn.... that's a teeny bit out of date isn't it...

:blush:

JulianW
03-01-2004, 09:59 AM
Not to want to reanimate a long dead thread for any longer than possible..

I've been experimenting with the plug in a little recently, and whilst it's not ideal you can fake up parenting by using simple expressions in the graph editor.

JW.

Dodgy
03-01-2004, 10:33 AM
You don't wanna do that! Use this instead:

http://www.shift.gr.jp/html/staff/sp/sp000003.html

A little bit tricky to get the hang of, but much more powerful than LW's current tool...

Bog
03-01-2004, 12:36 PM
A little bit tricky to get the hang of,

Oh, only for people who don't speak Japanese. Er... bugger.