PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about Modeler in the future

wp_capozzi
09-11-2006, 11:34 PM
Hello,

I've been thinking about Modeler, wondering what might be coming down the line for new features. Voicing a couple things I would like to see to enhance workflow, first I think being able to see and manipulate displacements on a subdivision model would be great. Another thing would be to be able to lock a layer so that it can't be edited, and also to be able to see that layer in any of the viewing modes. Both of those would be great additions for doing things like creating clothing, eyeballs, and other details on a model and checking if the items will intersect or break through each other or fit together well, while viewing the model in it's full form.
Other things that would be nice are more snapping tools, or maybe a sort of collision detection between layers for shrink wrapping or sticking one item to another. Maybe something like the sticky surface seen in Layout.
I know there are other ways to do these things, and some plugins. I thought they might be good as built in features in Modeler. Just some thoughts.

Regards,
Bill C.

Werner
09-12-2006, 03:35 AM
Hello,

...Another thing would be to be able to lock a layer so that it can't be edited, and also to be able to see that layer in any of the viewing modes. Both of those would be great additions for doing things like creating clothing, eyeballs, and other details on a model and checking if the items will intersect or break through each other or fit together well, while viewing the model in it's full form...
Regards,
Bill C.

This is already possible, by having one layer active and having a background layer active as well. Maybe I don't understand what you mean, but I use background layers to align stuff all the time. When a background layer is active, you can't edit the object on that layer.
Do you want the backround layer showing up as the same shaded setting as the active foreground layer? If so, that would make sense, and would be helpful.

wp_capozzi
09-12-2006, 05:22 AM
Yeah, that's pretty much what was on my mind, having the background be the same shading as the foreground layer, or switchable to something other than wireframe. I thought too that being able to lock and unlock a layer might be nice, maybe not 100 percent useful, just an extra option to secure a layer for a bit. A solid shading for the background layer would be useful.

Regards,
Bill C.

gerry_g
09-12-2006, 07:35 AM
I noticed yesterday that in Nine, when two objects in two layers have sufficient proximity such that one object is occluded by the other (in 'wire frame mode') the occluded potion of the wire is dimmed, I don't remember this being so in 8.5, then again maybe I never noticed. As to your suggestion, yes currently unless one object is selected in one layer you cannot adjust ore check fit very easily and the brightness of the selected object makes it very hard to read anyway,and regarding snapping, though I've gotten used to it, it's pretty dire compared to the range of options in some packages, I would love to see a centre snap.

wp_capozzi
09-12-2006, 04:32 PM
In the realm of imaginary tools, how about a topology direction brush. Something that would affect the direction edges connect between points, (sort of like spin quads or spin tris) except within a falloff range (like dragnet or weight painting). When you paint or swipe the brush across the geometry, all of the edges under the brush change and spin or reconnect to match the direction you have painted.
Probably shouldn't venture too far into imaginary, but a few years ago some of the tools now were nothing more than someone's thoughts.

Regards,
Bill C.

lardbros
09-14-2006, 04:34 PM
I noticed yesterday that in Nine, when two objects in two layers have sufficient proximity such that one object is occluded by the other (in 'wire frame mode') the occluded potion of the wire is dimmed, I don't remember this being so in 8.5, then again maybe I never noticed.

As far as i remember it has always done this. It kind of helps, but would be nicer if you could set the background layer shading somehow. Could be added to the layers browser or something. A small box that when clicked cycles through, in sequence, each view type. With an icon for each shaded view.

This would work really well i reckon!

stib
09-14-2006, 09:59 PM
I was using illustrator the other day and I got to thinking: in Illustrator the group select tool is a bit like the polygon selection mode in LW, and the direct select tool is kinda like the point selection mode. Now the thing is in Illustrator that you can have whole objects (lines fills etc) selected at the same time as parts of objects - individual points or handles etc.

So why is it that the three selection modes in LW are mutually exclusive? Wouldn't it be good to have a multi-selection mode where points, polys and edges were all selectable at the same time. You could have a modifier key for when you add to / remove from the selection, so you can decide whether to select polys points or edges, but then you can manipulate them all at once.

When you think about it, poly selection is just point selection but all the points on the poly you click on get selected, and ditto for edges, so it's not like it would be really hard to implement.

Andyjaggy
09-15-2006, 07:47 PM
That would be soooooooo useful to be able to change the shading on the background layer. With the system as it is right now it is often really difficult to tell if an object is intersecting another one. Sometimes I will temporarily subdivide the object in the background layer so that is has a complicated enough wireframe to tell if something is interesecting it, then when I have the object placed correctly I copy it, undo the subdeviding and paste the object back in. Oh the workarounds we resort to sometimes.

gareee
09-15-2006, 09:12 PM
I see features in Modo, Hexagon 2, and the new Silo 2 I'd LOVE to see in LW Modeler. The universal manipulation tool replaces a lot of things we have to switch between now, and the new Silo sticky keys modeling where the new polys "stick" to the mesh are REALLY nifty. Try something like that in lightwave, and you have to do a lot of steps to get to the same point.

I'm seeing more modeling tool inovation in th elower end tools now available then in some of the higher end apps like Lightwave, Max and XSI.

The freebie uv mapping plugins we got recently are keeping modeler in the game despite NT dragging it's heels on modeler.

There was a day when Lightwave modeler was the king of modelers, but I fear those days might now be completelyt past us.

I'm sticking with it now mainly because of familiarity.