PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to render only between two distances from camera?

wp_capozzi
09-11-2006, 10:55 PM
Hello,

I've searched a bit and haven't located an answer. I was wondering if it is possible, or if there is a plugin to render only what is visible between two distances from the camera. For instance, I want to render only what is seen between 0m and 10m from the camera on the first pass, then render as a separate sequence what is seen between 10m and 20m, etc.
I would like to use the result of that for multiplane compositing and DOF effects. I can sort of do it by chopping my models and scenes into the distances and render them that way, but it seems like it would be a great things if I could just tell the camera to render certain distances. Maybe like the fog distance setting. I wasn't sure if there is something in the new cameras that could to that kind of thing. I will keep looking. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Bill C.

Sensei
09-12-2006, 12:15 AM
I don't think so remembering such functionality built-in LightWave natively. But it's possible for 3rd party developer to make such plug-in, as long as this doesn't concern reflected or refracted rays.. I mean- only surfaces directly visible from camera can be checked whether they're in right distance, but if surface is f.e. mirror, it'll have anything in the scene including objects that are far away specified range.

zardoz
09-12-2006, 05:44 AM
Maybe this tutorial can help you:
http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/animation/clip-map/index.html

You can add the clip plane to all the objects...and render several planes.

kmaas
09-12-2006, 08:11 AM
Cool! I didn't know you could do clipping planes in LW without writing a plugin!

wp_capozzi
09-12-2006, 05:02 PM
Very nice! Thanks for passing that technique along. I like that.

Regards,
Bill C.

Exception
09-12-2006, 05:07 PM
You can use a Z-depth map, no?
Then just composite everything out after a certain grey-value is reached...
fully automatic and re-doable, in post that is...

wp_capozzi
09-12-2006, 05:15 PM
Yes, another excellent idea, thanks! I'm just getting used to using RLA/RPF files in AE. That might be my best option.

Thanks,
Bill C.

Tiger
09-13-2006, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the link :thumbsup: