PDA

View Full Version : Filling the gap

R Haseltine
09-11-2006, 02:23 PM
I'm making a belt, and I want to carve out the slot of the buckle pin from the strap. I've cut the slot by removing polygons, now I want to close the gap between front and back surfaces (first image shows where I'm starting, second shows what I want to achieve - done by selecting groups of points and hitting p). I'd have thought the Bridge command was the thing to use - select the two rows and hit it, but the results are not helpful (see third pic). I've merged duplicate points (I'd split some for mapping), selecting just one front and one back polygon partially works in that it creates the desired polygon (facing the wrong way) but zaps the face polygons.

So, is the right technique blocked by user error or bad mesh, or should I be doing something else instead? (This is Lightwave 9.)

Sekhar
09-11-2006, 03:38 PM
Instead of removing the polys, create a block in a background layer covering the volume you want to remove and do a boolean subtract.

R Haseltine
09-12-2006, 09:00 AM
I dismissed booleans as I've seen many other people have issues (not necessarily in LW) when using them to punch out sections. I'll try that next time (on this occasion, assuming I don't have to go back to square one for some other reason, it will take less time to select points and make polys as I did on the lower half than it would to redo the extrude and boolean out the slice).

For future reference, does that mean LW doesn't have a way of stitching together this kind of hole?

R Haseltine
09-12-2006, 01:33 PM
To answer my own question, at least to an extent, it looks as if I could have selected most of the polygons I wanted to rempve to make the slot and used the Bridge command to punch through and fill in in a single step. I'd just have to be careful that the two selections (front and back) were disconnected, by the look of it.

I do think being able to select two lines of polygons, of equal numbers, and create a row of quads connecting them would be a useful tool to have however.

BazC
09-12-2006, 03:38 PM
For the record I've just tried a simplified version of what you're trying to do using Bridge and it worked perfectly. I have experienced similar problems in the past though, I suspect there is some bug with Bridge or possibly it's particularly picky about the geometry it works on

R Haseltine
09-13-2006, 01:23 PM
Oh, well that's sort of encouraging - thanks. I made a couple of flat rectangles (boxes with no third dimension, with half a dozen divisions) before my last post and had some very strange effects when trying to use Bridge to link them.

gerry_g
09-13-2006, 05:26 PM
I did several straps and buckles recentlyand I found it easier to work backwards by using smooth shift to grow the strap out of the buckle shaft, the holes in the strap where done with the bridge tool and gave me no problems whatsoever, this was all in LW9 in CC mode.

R Haseltine
09-14-2006, 05:57 AM
Well, that puts me nicely in the shade :) .

I think my Bridge problems awere the way I was using it - did you get it to do what I was originally trying (close off the sides of the hole after deleting the surface above and below) or did you do it in the apparently correct way (select polys in the belt front and back and Bridge to replace them with a closed tunnel)?

gerry_g
09-15-2006, 04:46 PM
Sorry I should have been more helpful, so I tried bridging something similar to the sort of thing you were doing and seemed to work ok, I did it in edge mode selecting the inner and outer edges and bridging them separately (See image one)
Maybe you had some bad geometry, check for un welded points two point poly chains by using the numeric panel to hunt them down, things like this often upset tools, as to what the bridge tool aught to be able to do image two offers a rough guide

R Haseltine
09-16-2006, 08:26 AM
Yes, that works with a clean starting point. There must be something odd in my mesh, though I can't see what (there don't seem to be any stray points or edges - however I do notice a couple of polygons where the normal marker is on the edge, rather than at the centre - I made the loop by rail extruding the end polys of the straight section and there were some kinks that needed putting right, so I may have done something odd/dumb there).

Anyway, I now know it should work with clean mesh which is reassuring, I can work that way if it's convenient and a problem should be fixable by hunting down mesh glitches. Thanks for the examples.