PDA

View Full Version : LW Material Exchange - Maxwell Style

Matt
09-10-2006, 09:02 PM
I was browsing the Maxwell website looking at the renders, when I noticed their material exchange.

Have to say, I love the way they've gone about it. We should set something like this up for LightWave.

A library of physically accurate (or as near as possible within LW) materials, all rendered out using the same scene setup for a really cool looking material library that is easily compared.

There's a PDF explaining the 'material presentation' scene and test object, might have to create one for LightWave.

'Material Presentation' PDF:

http://mxmgallery.maxwellrender.com/Instructions-StndMatScene.pdf (Instructions-Standard Material Scene.pdf)

Example materials:

BazC
09-11-2006, 01:13 AM
I agree! Great mats too, I love the wood material!

Red_Oddity
09-11-2006, 02:29 AM
Didn't we have something like this in the past?...Can't remeber the name (was something obvious), I believe it went down because it was shared wth a server account that got hacked, but it did went up again a month or so ago...

*edit* Doh, i remeber...Preset Central...let's see if i can find it again...still would be nice if it were some database on the Newtek site (a bit like Autodesks 'Area' (http://area.autodesk.com/))

dballesg
09-11-2006, 02:58 AM
Didn't we have something like this in the past?...Can't remeber the name (was something obvious), I believe it went down because it was shared wth a server account that got hacked, but it did went up again a month or so ago...

*edit* Doh, i remeber...Preset Central...let's see if i can find it again...still would be nice if it were some database on the Newtek site (a bit like Autodesks 'Area' (http://area.autodesk.com/))

Hi,

This is the address for Preset Central! :)

http://www.presetcentral.com/

Best regards,
David

oDDity
09-11-2006, 03:07 AM
These generic surfaces are useless, even worse than generic models, since at least you can make a generic model unique with decent texturing.
Does anyone actually open the surface preset window?
Jesus, some people are donwloading a generic model from turbosquid, and then applying a generic surface from a library.
Wouldn't you be better off in management or something- having people working for you who do all that tedious art stuff, while you push paper around and count the money?

habaņero
09-11-2006, 03:59 AM
I vote aye for Matt.

What though would make sense is if Newtek would host it, both for stability and principle.

It would also be sweet if it was supported from inside LW or at least made simple to use. I think at least for PC, it'd be fairly simple to whip up an updater in Lscript.

It aint immoral to use previous designs. As an example, If I want something perfect for breakfast I can either utilize the existing design for "egg", it doesn't mean I am lazy if I don't invent something white and yellow that is packaged in a thin calcium container for my hangover ...

What new users of LW will want is to have work or "work" to show of to their friends, fast. They will use the included LW presets or other presets they find on the net in about all normal cases rather than first read up on the scientific difference between unpolarized and polarized light as it pertains to the fresnel of an sss material. It'd be ideal if they would, but so would money treees and warm honey milk from the tap.

On the other hand, If they feel successful, they will gain motivation and the correct learning processes faster and more efficiently. This isn't a loose opinion, this is hard scientific fact that'll schtick in any good focus test. Just to clarify, I hold the opinion that the included presets could and should be a lot improved, and that what should be there is stuff like in the OPs post, not tree surfaces that lack even a fresnel. This wouldn't put the texturists of the world out of work, since making King Kong is slightly more involved than using even really good surface presets ...

It ain't either likely LW will compete well with Poser for the lazy person market. I wouldn't bet that an LW preset center wouldn't be rather convoluted compared to alternatives like the Vue or Poser ones. What would be great though would be if it could be made fast to use ...

dballesg
09-11-2006, 04:03 AM
These generic surfaces are useless, even worse than generic models, since at least you can make a generic model unique with decent texturing.
Does anyone actually open the surface preset window?
Jesus, some people are donwloading a generic model from turbosquid, and then applying a generic surface from a library.
Wouldn't you be better off in management or something- having people working for you who do all that tedious art stuff, while you push paper around and count the money?

I bet you have never been on really adjusted projects with really short or non existing time to deliver them.

Or others where the client doesn't care quality and only wants a fast and cheap product.

Best regards,
David

Matt
09-11-2006, 01:24 PM
I use presets all the time to kick off the texturing side of things, then tweak depending on eah project! BIG time savers!

What I like about what Maxwell have done is the use of a standard scene that has a model for exploring all the effects, fresnal, SSS etc.

And that they are physically accurate.

oDDity
09-11-2006, 01:35 PM
I bet you have never been on really adjusted projects with really short or non existing time to deliver them.

Or others where the client doesn't care quality and only wants a fast and cheap product.

No I haven't, and I never intend to be either. You may as well get a job sweeping the streets.

BazC
09-11-2006, 01:42 PM
No I haven't, and I never intend to be either. You may as well get a job sweeping the streets.

LOL! Ah Oddity, you're like a little ray of sunshine! :D

Red_Oddity
09-11-2006, 01:44 PM

My my, you're cheerfull today...

I don't often use presets myself, but for, say, the node editor, it could be a handy way for new folks to learn how some more advanced shaders/materials are build by disecting them, n'es pas?