PDA

View Full Version : Layers and subdiv levels

snouty
09-10-2006, 11:47 AM
Hi guys,

I'm sure this is a FAQ, but I'm coming back to Lightwave after a long time and I forgot more than I used to know... :) Plus the version of the progeam I was most comfortable with was 5.6 so working 7.5 is something of a culture shock.

I get that using layers in Modeler is a lot like layers in Photoshop,but I'm having trouble figuring out how I set up a figure using layers. In the olden days you used to make your limbs and body and eyes etc in separate layers and save them separately, then link them all up in Layout, moving the pivot point to the joint in the arm etc.

So how does all this work now?

1. If I make the parts in separate layers, can I still alter the pivot point for each layer?

2. And if I save the object with visible layers do all those layer become visible in the Layout version?

Also I set the subdivision level in modeler and my objects look smooth. But in layout they look really blocky. Am I missing something? :cursin:

Sorry about this, I must be getting old. You know it's like not using your legs for years, they just wither and drop off.

Thanks,

snouty :lwicon:

UnCommonGrafx
09-10-2006, 12:14 PM
1. Sure.
2. Yup.

Change subdivision order to last or something other than first. The subd in modeler doesn't transcribe to layout as such. What you do have is the option to change your layout view and render subd levels separately. Once it's made a subpatch object, these settings are all available to you.

Welcome back.

snouty
09-10-2006, 02:48 PM
1. Sure.
2. Yup.

Change subdivision order to last or something other than first. The subd in modeler doesn't transcribe to layout as such. What you do have is the option to change your layout view and render subd levels separately. Once it's made a subpatch object, these settings are all available to you.

Welcome back.

Thanks dude.

Oh and while I'm on the subject, if I save object all layers, how do I load it back into all the layers it was in? ;D

And hey to save you the trouble of answering every subtle detail of these topics in future, can you nominate a page number of the 7.5 manual I can shoot for to look this crap up?

Thanks again.

snouty
09-10-2006, 02:51 PM
1. Sure.
2. Yup.

Welcome back.

Wait, belay that, I found out how to load the layers.... doofus!

Sorry to bother you guys, I'm going to go sit in my bath chair while my nurse feeds me blended steak through a bendy straw.

Laters

Darth Mole
09-10-2006, 04:36 PM
Hey Phil, how y'doin? Long time no chat.

Darth Mole

aka The man from Future :-)

snouty
09-10-2006, 04:58 PM
Hey Phil, how y'doin? Long time no chat.

Darth Mole

aka The man from Future :-)

Ah, good sir, tis indeed many a long year since we crossed light sabres. How you doing? Still furthering the Empire's world domination plans?

Me I'm trying to get back into the freelance world after long years training young fighters for the Rebel Alliance. Turning out young filmmakers takes a toll on your creative urges, in other words you start wanting to make your own **** movie instead of training young pups to make other peoples...

Plus I really miss being at home all the time. But writing for magazines is a young man's game and frankly I can't even get arrested at the Empire's gate these days. Actually applied for a few jobs there recently but got turned down every time.

We really must meet up some time. But actually do it this time, not like before. :)

Nice hearing from you.

snouty

Darth Mole
09-10-2006, 05:04 PM
Your timing is impeccable. Just had three months off work (unpaid, sadly) and go back tomorrow morning! But yeah, if you can make it into town one lunchtime, I can regale you with tales of layers, pivot points and, er, other stuff.

Cheers,

Steve J