PDA

View Full Version : "Replace With Null" At Object's Location?

Giacomo99
09-09-2006, 03:50 PM
Hello-

I have a number of proxy objects (about 20) which I want to replace with nulls. The problem is that when I use the "Replace With Null" command, the null is created at the origin.

Is there any way in Lightwave to create a null at a desired location?

Please advise.

GM

PS. What is "Replace With Null" useful for anyway if it only creates nulls at 0,0,0?

jeremyhardin
09-09-2006, 04:18 PM
works fine for me in 8.5 and 9. what LW version are you using? Are any modifiers determining the position of the object you're trying to replace?

Giacomo99
09-09-2006, 04:31 PM
Hi-

I'm using LW9 on a Mac. I have no idea what you mean by "modifiers-" if it helps, the objects are simple 3D crosshairs (about 10 polys) created in Modeler. They were sent to Layout as a single object with 20 layers--one crosshair in each layer.

Hm. Having typed that, it occurs to me that maybe I need to create a separate object for each crosshair.

Edit: Yep, that took care of it. The null created is at an odd angle (H -38.60, P 21.20, B 0) though. I guess I can reset them all by hand. Thanks.

Bog
09-09-2006, 06:12 PM
For future reference, you can set a Pivot Point per layer in Modeler - this would have fixed your issue in an easier way.

That's the "Pivot" button in the Utilities tab in 9.0 (Using "Studio Production" menus)

Giacomo99
09-09-2006, 06:58 PM
Bog-

Yeah, thanks---I actually just discovered that independently after noticing that creating a separate object for each layer wasn't really working after all (I was looking at another null that happened to be in the scene.)

For those of you looking at this post in the future: the created null *always* appears at the object's pivot point (which defaults to 0,0,0.) The best way to set it to the layer's centroid is Modeler: View--Layers--Center Pivot. (The "Pivot" button right above the "Center Pivot" command needs to be clicked on so you can see the pivot.)

A brief rant, if I may: as a newbie to LW who has worked with other 3D software, I have to say it is *totally effing bizarre* that the pivot point defaults to *the origin* and not *the object's centroid.* Before I discovered "Center Pivot" a few minutes ago, I spent a rather miserable week trying to work around this oddity.

Bog
09-10-2006, 07:34 AM
Well, now ya know, chap :)

Though as a counter-rant I find it insane that so many other pieces of 3D software still store morph targets as seperate objects that're hidden from the camera. 3DStudio, I'm looking at you, freakboi....