PDA

View Full Version : how does one handle burnout

monfoodoo
09-08-2006, 11:57 PM
how does one handle periodic burnout.i'm there right now.scott

geck
09-09-2006, 01:23 AM
Creative brain freeze huh?

Happens to all of us. The best thing I've found to do is, if you can, just walk away from your computer for a while. Hours, days, weeks, however long it takes for the pressure to subside.

If you're dealing with commercial deadlines it may be difficult but having a break of any duration will definitely help. Just a couple of hours can sometimes be enough, so a quick nap on the couch, watching a favourite movie or going for walk around the neighbourhood will sometimes do the trick.

Basically just change your perspective for a while. Works wonders. :thumbsup:

colkai
09-09-2006, 02:41 AM
I also try to step away from the computer and do something non-related. Gives me some time to reflect.
It takes a while (days) as initially you feel you "should" be doing something, once you do get the right mind set, you suddenly find yourself coming up with ideas and looking at things saying "Hmm, that would be fun to do". :)

MooseDog
09-09-2006, 06:38 AM
i've also walked away for a couple of days, weeks sometimes. the exciting part is that you return with renewed creativity and energy and your art is again a ton of fun!

Bog
09-09-2006, 06:45 AM
When you overtake other cars really closely or drive in the wrong lane, that orange bar at the bottom starts to fill up. When it's full, you can boost ("Burnout") with the right shoulder button.

Oh, the other kind of burnout! Right. Get away from the machine, go outside, play :)

iconoclasty
09-09-2006, 07:11 AM
I ussually do some coke.

monfoodoo
09-09-2006, 09:50 AM
All sounds good(except for the coke remark).i think i do need to backoff alittle bit and not feel guilty of somthing. And i got the lw9 right on this down time.bummer. scott

Jim_C
09-09-2006, 10:00 AM
I , as others have said, walk away.

But then when I feel I am at the end of my respid, I go see or search for something inspiring in my field.

I am a shooter, editor, not really 3d so for me it's sometimes a movie, sometimes watch a sporting event, or sometimes I search for demos or samples of like minded professionals on the web.

Gets the creative, hey I can do that, or I 'think' I can do that juices flowing again.

Jim

Plakkie
09-09-2006, 10:17 AM
For me, creative burnout happens when I really have other more pressing things to do than what I'm working on at that moment. Doing the pressing things first and then taking a short brake usually clears the blocking. Looking at other peoples work (art, movie, etc) can help a lot too.

sbrandt
09-09-2006, 06:34 PM
I like to go down to the apple orchard and shoot some magpies then veg for a full day, order something I shouldn't have, like a giant pizza, and watch really, really bad animation on the Dizzy channel with the kids then the next AM drink waaay too much coffee and go back to work.

Don't scoff ...it works for me.

lesterfoster
09-09-2006, 10:59 PM
The last time that I suffered from burnout. I took a one week holiday. It was the first holiday that I took from the time that I have been working at the company that I work for now. And I have been working at this place for over 12 years now.

During that time on my holiday, I spent all of my time in front of my new toaster computer.

But than again. I do not earn my paycheck from my computer skills. I earn a paycheck from my hand skills, and welding skills.

I suggest that you take some time off of what ever it is that you do from earning a paycheck. And spend some time doing what you want to do.

THREEL
09-10-2006, 02:11 AM
how does one handle periodic burnout.i'm there right now.scott

A few matches and some dry firewood should do the trick, and if they don't there's always dynamite. Oh... you want to keep your computer. ;)

But seriously, one thing that might help is to have a paper and pencil handy away from your work space. Sometimes your best ideas come at the strangest times, like in the middle of the night, when you're driving down the road, or when nature calls. If the problem is work related stress, then you must remove yourself from the situation, until the flame comes back, or remove the situation from you, which ever is the less painful option.

Keep the fire burning! :)

THREEL, but you can call me AL.

Bog
09-10-2006, 07:32 AM
A few matches and some dry firewood should do the trick, and if they don't there's always dynamite. Oh... you want to keep your computer.

Actually, I did used to keep an old Elonex 486 in the back yard, so when I was at the hair-ripping-out stage, I could put on some construction-crew boots and kick the bloody thing around the yard. After one particularly rough gig (I'd taken over from two seperate groups of guys who'd Not Met Expectations, so there was no time, no usable assets, and a broadcast date rolling down like a freight express), I put a couple of dodgy Chinese airbombs into the case, twisted the fuses together and blew the bugger to flinders.

Felt goood. Really need to go to the scrapheap soon and get a new whipping boy. ;)

kmaas
09-10-2006, 08:17 AM
Actually, I did used to keep an old Elonex 486 in the back yard, so when I was at the hair-ripping-out stage, I could put on some construction-crew boots and kick the bloody thing around the yard. After one particularly rough gig (I'd taken over from two seperate groups of guys who'd Not Met Expectations, so there was no time, no usable assets, and a broadcast date rolling down like a freight express), I put a couple of dodgy Chinese airbombs into the case, twisted the fuses together and blew the bugger to flinders.

Felt goood. Really need to go to the scrapheap soon and get a new whipping boy. ;)

What? You wouldn't use something like that for rendering? :D

Bog
09-10-2006, 09:10 AM
Not after the airbombs, no.... ;)

tonybliss
09-10-2006, 10:06 AM
Sex works for me!!!

colkai
09-10-2006, 11:29 AM
Actually, I did used to keep an old Elonex 486
By the Gods, there's a name I've not heard in a while :)

Darttman
09-11-2006, 09:19 AM
Well here is where fishing is really good.
Ya see most people think fishing is boring, well the whole act of fishing is a kind of ritual that keeps you focused. Fishing is my therapy in life and I think most others too even if they do not realize it. If I do not catch any fish at all no big deal. I got outside and commune with nature which is one of the most calming things.

ted
09-11-2006, 03:27 PM
Well, sex of course. Right after that though, as Darttmoth said, head outdoors. Fishing, hunting, hiking and camping. Head to the hills for at least 72 hours and you'll be recharged and ready for more [email protected] from your clients. :D
In fact, that's why through the end of October you won't see me around much because I'm in the hills getting re-charged.

Chris S. (Fez)
09-11-2006, 04:31 PM
If going for a run and getting a good night's sleep does not revive me ,then I take a couple "mental days" and travel somewhere fun.

Fortunately for me, Monday Night Football is like a mini-vacation.

newsvixen8
09-11-2006, 06:55 PM
Martial arts as a lifestyle. A steady stream of punching and kicking can keep mental burnout in the next time zone.

lesterfoster
09-11-2006, 07:47 PM
Martial arts as a lifestyle. A steady stream of punching and kicking can keep mental burnout in the next time zone.

Hay.. I agree with that comment.. Maby you should get a sludge hammer and destroy something.

It has worked for me in the past. Just make sure that what ever it is that you smash. You have no value for.

faulknermano
09-11-2006, 09:51 PM
or you could head down over to a firing range and shoot off some rounds. i do that sometimes, though i prefer to "jump around" a bit - meaning "freerun" in a nearby park. i'm burned out myself, actually, and these things just keeps the inevitable at bay. but the time will come..... POW!

Bog
09-12-2006, 06:37 AM
or you could head down over to a firing range and shoot off some rounds.

Ohhh, I wish :( There hasn't been a public firing range in the Uck for... urgh.. no idea how long.

I think the worst one is when you *know* the job you're on is burning you out. Your client's being a nonce (he says, not looking at the CMYK imagery they just sent for use in this DVD project), the brief's slacker than hessian Y-fronts with the elastic gone, "communication" is one vague email a week followed by ringing silence and you find yourself gnawing the edge of the keyboard and even the cats have stopped speaking to you, let alone the spouse.

Not that such a terrible thing happens in this industry, eh chaps? Haha!