PDA

View Full Version : Looking for suggestions to import SolidWorks files into LW...

ssutherland
09-08-2006, 08:05 PM
I want to create some animations of the products we are designing for HazMat teams, and all of the design work is done in SolidWorks. I see that LW supports some object formats, but I do not see SolidWorks. Is there a plug in that will help in this regard, or do I need to purchase a 3rd party program like AccuTrans?

I believe the original files were created in Rhino, and I tried to import one of them into Truespace after the designer converted it to 3d Studio format. It came into TrueSpace as about 1500 separate objects, and, although the color was retained, many of the polygons were not stable. That is, if I rotated my point of view around the object, they blinked on and off rapidly.

If anyone can offer some advice on the best way to get these into LW, it would help out a lot.

Thanks,

Scott
Haverhill, MA

UnCommonGrafx
09-08-2006, 08:21 PM
http://www.chromecow.com/downloads.htm

Scroll down a bit for Sean's stl exporter.

ssutherland
09-08-2006, 08:29 PM
http://www.chromecow.com/downloads.htm

Scroll down a bit for Sean's stl exporter.

Found the file. So this will let me import STL files into LW. Can you enlighten a LW newbie as to how is it used? Looks like a script file, which I haven't gotten to yet in the manuals.

Thanks,

Scott
Haverhill, MA

UnCommonGrafx
09-08-2006, 08:41 PM
It's 'just' a plugin. Install it the same as any plugin, Alt-F11; put it in your shortcuts as normal, Alt-F9; place it on your menus somewhere, Alt-F10.

Scott, Take a moment to go back to his site and have a read of his blurb as to what the tool will do. Check out the faq, too.

I've never used it before as I haven't had a need. But everytime someone asks for such a tool, this is where they are sent. I just sent you there cuz... that's what we do 'round here... ;)

After it's sitting on your menus, I would think pressing the button would be your best bet. ;) Not trying to be an arse, I really don't know. I do know, though, that I have to go back to the site and donate some money: his tools have been uber-useful.

If you have some stl files, you should be good to go. Willing to help; just not sure how.

MicroMouse
09-08-2006, 09:56 PM
SolidWorks will export models to several STL files using world coordinates for the vertices.

If you use the "File->Multi Open" menu command in AccuTrans, you can load the set of STL files all at one time. Each STL file will be placed on its own layer and the model will be reassembled from the individual files.

Wayne

voriax
09-10-2006, 07:40 PM
I work extensively with SolidWorks and bring SW files into LW quite often. The way I do it is to just export from SW as STL files, then convert them to LW format using Accutrans - I find this to be a lot quicker and more reliable than the STL importer/exporter for LW.
(also, for some reason the STL importer/exporter plugin has stopped working and will no longer import the files, so I don't have a choice ;))