PDA

View Full Version : Modeler dont work!

alvin_cgi
09-08-2006, 07:29 PM
It was fine yesterday, but it won't launch Modeler today:thumbsdow
I deleted LW9HUB.CFG files, now it work but slow and keep crach... and often I get message like " ERROR: Object is read-only and can not be modified". What is that means!!! I can not use/rework models I just created! HELP!

Should I reinstall it!!

jamesthiago
09-08-2006, 08:20 PM
yeah i have the same stuff happening. not sure how to resolve it though.
disappointing when it is a new piece of software.

creativecontrol
09-08-2006, 09:00 PM
There are already several very active threads devoted to this topic. It seems to be an issue either with firewalls or dongle drivers (or both). Check out the other threads, there are hundreds of ideas. I have had the same problem off and on. Mine seems to be caused by Zone Alarm.

nomad108
09-08-2006, 09:22 PM
LW9 Modeler and Layout were freezing my comp, too. I found that by disconnecting my wireless, everything works fine. Not sure why it works, but it does. Never had that problem with 8.0 or 8.5.

alvin_cgi
09-08-2006, 10:14 PM
I had it re-installed, so problems seem gone now, but have to go through all plugins again...:grumpy:
well, at least it working now.

jamesthiago
09-09-2006, 09:59 AM
perhaps lightwave should turn into a single program. I think a lot of problems are coming up because of the hub.

frantbk
09-09-2006, 10:37 AM
Wasn't the hub introduced in verison 6.0? What was the original point of it in the first place? Does anyone know?

iainbyoung
09-09-2006, 12:35 PM
I thought it was for transferring objects back and forth between layout and modeler. It's just a guess though :)

Lottmedia
09-09-2006, 12:55 PM
Check the other threads for more info, but for me I just start modeler with "-0" and have no problems anymore (don't have hub connectivity but....) otherwise it freezes everythign up. It's a hub thingie, as far as I know any firewall changes don't help (we've tried everything) And microsoft Automatic Update seems to be part of the problem (for me, at least) too.

Casey :cat:

frantbk
09-09-2006, 01:33 PM
Why would microsoft's update cause a problem? If microsoft's update is causing trouble then would that not mean that the trouble is with the hub working in the background? If that is the case then the hub isn't playing nice with resources. That sounds like it could be a thread issue doesn't it?

stevecullum
09-09-2006, 02:01 PM
Mines been perfect for weeks and then today, Layout is hanging, modeler takes forever to load etc..

Deleted Hub config, restarted PC, ran layout and just waited for a while. Eventually it came back after a few mins. Closed, restarted PC again and now its back and working fine again.

Its a hub problem, but NT are aware of it (or they should be with the number of threads about) and yes some Micorsoft security update can cause issues. I had a scene that wasn't working after an update. After deleting, it worked fine. - wierd!

frantbk
09-09-2006, 05:15 PM
Sounds like lightwave's hub is trying to keep the OS from having overall control of the threads, and that lightwaves hub isn't giving up its slot when the OS is time slicing resources for the other services running in the background.

NewTek won't hurt my feelings if they dumped the Hub and Viper from lightwave. I see that the old development crew made sure that their new product didn't have a hub or viper like system in it.

The NT manual states that "The Hub is essentially a message board that lightwave modules use to sychronize information. It contains entries like synced object, filenames and configuration memory blocks."

It sounds like the whole sycnronization process needs to be scraped and somthing else put in its place.:thumbsup:

dlbird
09-10-2006, 06:05 AM
same problem here, by using -0 switch i can make it modler again.

then i can run layout , close layout but leaving hub open, open modler without -0 and everything goes well.

Tiger
09-10-2006, 08:10 AM
No problems here whatsoev`r

mj418
09-10-2006, 09:57 AM
I had problems with Hub, and I tracked it down to McAfee firewall. I didn't want to just get rid of my firewall, and I discovered that if I open it up, disallow Access to Hub, close it, reopen it, and then re-allow Hub access, it works again. Weird, but that's what I have to do.
It'll keep on working fine until I install a new program which needs internet or access to some other port, and then, again, same problem with Hub and I have to repeat the process.
Also, it will do the same every time I allow Windows Automatic Update to do its thing.
PITA, but at least for me there's a workaround.

DavidLCarson
09-10-2006, 04:28 PM
I just lost two hours' work because Modeler and Layout got out of sync. I was really hoping that version 9 would FINALLY get hub working right, but it seems worse than ever...

stib
09-11-2006, 01:20 AM
lotsa problems here. Hub in LW9 has gone from being a clunky relic to a massive problem.

There seems to be no logical cause to it. I've uninstalled ZoneAlarm (There was a good thread on why you don't want to have a firewall running on your machine if you're getting your internet off the LAN), and disabled both the windows firewall and the windows automatic update service (It broke something else on my machine so I killed it ages ago). Everything worked for a while, but every now and then it All Goes Wrong and modeller just refuses to load past the point where the gui begins to apppear.

Not starting Modeller before Layout seems to keep the demons at bay a bit. If you only want to run Modeller you have to start Layout, make sure the hub is running, then switch to modeller. Once Modeller is up and running, you switch back to layout and quit.

PS deleting Windows automatic corruptdate involves turning off the service completely using the services control panel (control panel>administrative tools>services>). You can then use windiz update (http://windowsupdate.62nds.com/) and firefox instead of internet explorer to update your machine. Much better, and you can get rid of IE.

Lottmedia
09-11-2006, 08:14 AM
Why would microsoft's update cause a problem? If microsoft's update is causing trouble then would that not mean that the trouble is with the hub working in the background? If that is the case then the hub isn't playing nice with resources. That sounds like it could be a thread issue doesn't it?

Because Microsoft Updates adjusts security settings (it tries to be "helpful"), Usually reinstalling the sentinel drivers after an update helps (didnt once, but did all other times)

frantbk
09-11-2006, 01:06 PM
Because Microsoft Updates adjusts security settings (it tries to be "helpful"), Usually reinstalling the sentinel drivers after an update helps (didnt once, but did all other times)

NewTek claims in its manual the hub is like a message board. If you read on about the hubs ability to make calls to modeler and layout to sync files then it isn't a message board. Somebody built this as a data manager, and that is where most of the problems are coming from imo. If it was just a message board then you would have to click a button to run a do something script to hand a message off between the two programs and then take the reply from the requested program and return the answer to requester program. I said it once I'll say it again the hub is an over-engineered piece of junk and needs to be scrapped from lightwave.

alvin_cgi
09-20-2006, 06:22 PM
Ok, the modeler wont work again today:bangwall: , this is NOT RIGHT!!:thumbsdow I am sick of this stupid modeler!! I don't recall such happening on 8.5, 9 suppose to be better, but give me more problems...:cursin: Do I need to reinstall or what, once every two weeks!:thumbsdow

How does -0 work? Can someone show me step by step, I can't remember how I did it last time, only remember gave me some other problems after -0, but I might give it another go...:(

Newtek FIX this!! NOW!

alvin_cgi
09-20-2006, 06:28 PM
just found this:
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55329

-0 seem working now, but still this need to be FIX by Newtek ASAP!:devil:

stevecullum
09-21-2006, 03:33 AM
Are you using Norton Anti-virus BTW?

Lat time I had issues, I disabled it and then everything was working again. Once it was fixed, I turned it back on. Works fine for now...

Lottmedia
09-21-2006, 09:27 AM
Check those other threads, most of this ground has been covered over and over (i.e. Norton and firewalls etc.) For me I know it's the dongle and hub because I can remove the dongle and it starts in Discovery immediately. Again, we've covered all this in the other threads so read those instead of hearing me regurgitate

KScott
09-21-2006, 03:59 PM
If you remove the hub config file the problem will be solved. Yet this will not fix the hubs comunication prob. you will have to do this on every new start up.

Try this and see if you can at least work.

Kevin

Greenlaw
09-30-2006, 01:35 PM
Hi,

I ran into this problem today and managed to fix my machine quickly and easily. Perhaps other users will find the following information helpful.

Normally, the hub works fine and I've been using it ever since Version 7.0. For those who don't understand what it's for, the Hub sort of makes Layout and Modeler behave like a single program, allowing each program to upate the other whenever you make geometry and surface changes. This can really speed up your workflow.

In our department at R&H, using the Hub is a matter of preference. I'd say about half our crew use it religiously and the other half stay away from it like a curse. Personally, I don't have the patience not to use the Hub, but then again I rarely have problems with it either. (I hope I didn't just jinx myself.) :)

Anyway, the artist who sits next to me is also a Hub user, and he recently started having problems launching Modeler when the Hub was active. We tried deleting the Hub configs and this appeared to fix things at first. A few days later however, the problem came back and deleting the configs did not solve it.

Then just this morning, Modeler refused to launch on my desktop at home. Deleting the configs didn't help, and I wondered if the problem wasn't dongle related. What worked for me was downloading and installing the latest Sentinal driver, available from this link:

http://www.safenet-inc.com/support/tech/sentinel.asp)

That seems to have done the trick; now Hub and Modeler are running just fine on my system. I'm going to suggest doing the same for my friend's machine at work, and I will post the results here.

Hope this helps.

DRG

stib
09-30-2006, 01:48 PM
Yeah I think it's the dongle. I reinstall the driver every time modeller starts acting up. Even writing the same version of the driver software over the old seems to help. Something may be corrupting the driver..(?)

spec24
11-22-2006, 07:48 PM
Check those other threads, most of this ground has been covered over and over (i.e. Norton and firewalls etc.) For me I know it's the dongle and hub because I can remove the dongle and it starts in Discovery immediately. Again, we've covered all this in the other threads so read those instead of hearing me regurgitate

There can't be too many threads about this problem, or too many complaints. This is a serious issue becasue there is no fix. Like was said before there seems to be no rhyme or reason why it happens. I use LW less and less each new release because of nightmares like this. I see no mention of it in the 9.2 beta release fixes. It's happening to me again today after a few days of bug free working. Guess I'll just have to wait 'til Modeler feels like working again.

Lottmedia
11-23-2006, 09:44 AM
There can't be too many threads about this problem, or too many complaints.

Obviously you haven't looked, then. There have been several threads and a multitude of posts on the subject. You seem to underesetmate NewTek's ability to be myopic on the subject.

Here's just the ones I couls find on short notice (not including this one) :

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56928

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58422

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54112

(look before you leap...)

Wonderpup
11-23-2006, 10:49 AM
I think spec24 meant that the more threads there are the better- the sooner things will get fixed. :D

Lottmedia
11-23-2006, 11:21 PM
I think it's obvious that's not going to help. There are plenty of posts about it, spamming the threads isn't going to help. It seems NewTek isn't going to acknowledge(sp?) the problem until they have a solution. It's pretty crappy but there it is....

Dexter2999
11-26-2006, 08:42 AM
I havent had any serious problems with LW9, of course I run a system that is dedicated to LW and isn't on the internet so I don't run a firewall or antivirus.

I'm not exactly a guru when it comes to computers but if the dongle drivers and config files are constantly needing attention, would it make sense to add a START UP file that copied fresh on boot?

Just a thought.

DaveG
11-28-2006, 08:27 AM
I have a machine with the old fashioned dongle and that fires up no problem- I believe it is an issue with the USB dongles / drivers and the network ?

Its driving me crazy- with the USB dongle driver machines !!!

SaT
11-30-2006, 04:34 AM
I am using an old fashioned dongle, too and never had any problems since I started the computer today. Modeler just does not start and hangs. I have tried to reinstall the software and deleted the cfg-files, but nothing helped. I did not make any windows updates and even the firewall is deactivated.
I am using LightWave for about 10 years now but to me LW 3D 9 is the worst release ever and I really think about switching to another software package.:thumbsdow

spec24
11-30-2006, 06:31 AM
I think spec24 meant that the more threads there are the better- the sooner things will get fixed. :D

Thanks Wonderpup, that's right. I don't think I was "spamming" the thread, Lottmedia, since what I said was on topic. I'd rather have a working piece of software than a 2% increase in rendering speed so right now it seems NT's priorities are a bit outta wack. I could be wrong, they could be working furiously on this particular problem but this type of issue should've gotten top billing and a patch released asap.

Lottmedia
11-30-2006, 08:47 AM
Thanks Wonderpup, that's right. I don't think I was "spamming" the thread, Lottmedia, since what I said was on topic. I'd rather have a working piece of software than a 2% increase in rendering speed so right now it seems NT's priorities are a bit outta wack. I could be wrong, they could be working furiously on this particular problem but this type of issue should've gotten top billing and a patch released asap.

I was not chastising you, really. And don't take my post as any type of defence of NT's actions. I think it's unconsciousable to just ignore such a problem for so long. But as someone who's been kneedeep in this for months now, I simply have no hope left NT will do the right thing. Even just writing this post is frustrating me to no end.

(I give up...)

spec24
11-30-2006, 09:14 AM
I was not chastising you, really. And don't take my post as any type of defence of NT's actions. I think it's unconsciousable to just ignore such a problem for so long. But as someone who's been kneedeep in this for months now, I simply have no hope left NT will do the right thing. Even just writing this post is frustrating me to no end.

(I give up...)

I hear ya brother

BigHache
12-24-2006, 07:33 PM
Has anyone been able to definitively define the parameter(s) of what specifically happens/corrupts when Modeler returns the "Object is read-only" error?

I ask because I ran a fresh install of v9 for nearly three months before this became an issue. I did the -0 modifier and that bypassed the problem immediately, but that doesn't identify the actual issue.

Going through the threads here relating to this issue, I've found some common elements that others list as problem candidates. For example someone mentioned having an ATI video card will cause this, I do have an ATI card but I ran Modeler for some time without running into this. Is this an issue where video card drivers corrupt an need to be reinstalled? Or does something else corrupt and just need to be installed as needed?

I'm not concerned so much with NT fixing the problem as I am with just knowing what I need to do to keep working.

jaketapia
12-26-2006, 02:19 PM
I discovered that after closing Messenger 7.5, modeler would run just fine. So on the rare occations I experience this, I just kill Messenger and everything is dandy. I can then relaunch Messenger and life goes on.

:thumbsup: Thanks neverko - that worked for me too. Wonder why messenger would interfere with Modeler...must be a hub/network issue?

spec24
12-29-2006, 07:57 PM
Don't quote me on this one but after rebooting my computer 6 times in hopes that I could actually work with LW (modeler and LW freezing) I tried just unpluggin my dongle and plugging it back in. That worked. At least it worked for now. If any one else is experiencing this you might give it a try. Shutting down windows messenger never worked for me.