PDA

View Full Version : ParticleFX/Hypervoxels meteor field motion.

ben martin
06-08-2003, 05:57 AM
Hi,

I’m workingmeteor field animation.
I’m using ParticleFX/Hypervoxels systems to achieve a meteors fiel animation.
The result is nice… to a static image.
Now I’m trying to animate those particles… seems easy?!
Ok, but anyone knows how to make the particles spin/rotate around they’re own axis if they have one?
I guess it is not possible!
So how can I simulate the self-rotation of a meteor made with particleFX/Hypervoxels?
Anyone? :confused:

See image to clarify.

Many thanks

Ben Martin

ben martin
06-08-2003, 06:20 AM
Oppsssss... image to clarify is missing!
I dunno why but I can't add that image...
In the attach file I browse the JPG image but i does not upload to this forum... strange! :(

Ben Martin

Mylenium
06-08-2003, 08:06 AM
You cannot make particles rotate. From a strictly mathematical point a particle has no dimension and is only defined by its coordinates in space. You need to convert your particles to Nulls and then use FX Linker to rotate those. This will be a major task since you need to apply HV's to every null in the scene again. Perhaps you could get away with animating texture rotation to fake the effect. Possibly the best solution would be to model some meteors and then use HD_Instance to create your field (if there are really that many meteors [many=50 and more]).

Mylenium

ben martin
06-08-2003, 05:04 PM
Many thanks,

I decided to model the closest ones to achieve a controlled animation and fake the far ones motion (texture animation). It'll do!:cool:

Cheers!

Ben Martin

HowardM
06-09-2003, 12:00 AM
Use FXlinker and Subd Models...that way you can tell them to spin, OR render a few nice hires HV meteors, save as an image to use as a clip, load clip back in as a sprite, and set its rotation!
..the latter will work great for far off meteors that dont need real dimension...

SplineGod
06-09-2003, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by Mylenium
You cannot make particles rotate. From a strictly mathematical point a particle has no dimension and is only defined by its coordinates in space. You need to convert your particles to Nulls and then use FX Linker to rotate those. This will be a major task since you need to apply HV's to every null in the scene again. Perhaps you could get away with animating texture rotation to fake the effect. Possibly the best solution would be to model some meteors and then use HD_Instance to create your field (if there are really that many meteors [many=50 and more]).

Mylenium
Actually if you set up one null with the HV settings that you want
and use FXLink each Null will have the same HV settings.