PDA

View Full Version : Can I make Alpha map based on Weight Map?

pawn707
09-08-2006, 04:26 AM
Title pretty much sums it up.

I have a tiled .PSD texture but I would like to have transparency around the edges of the geometry when I render.

For instance, say my geometry is a flat 2x2 square (ground surface) and I have a .PSD successfully tiling accross it, 1:1 ratio per square. But I want the edges around the entire ground to be transparent (soft edges when rendered).

As far as I know I cant make a 2nd surface for same geometry so that eliminates making an alpha map for the whole geometry.

Anyone got any ideas? THANKS

Sensei
09-08-2006, 04:49 AM
You can make Alpha from Weight Map and much more using VMapManager http://www.trueart.pl/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins/VMapManager

MooseDog
09-08-2006, 06:25 AM
choosing texture from transparency channel, choose gradient, then wieght map from the input parameter dropdown list. add keys as required:thumbsup:

T-Light
09-08-2006, 09:03 AM
pawn707 -

As far as I know I cant make a 2nd surface for same geometry so that eliminates making an alpha map for the whole geometry.
I could be getting the wrong end of the stick here but... There's nothing stopping you creating your alpha map in PS and bringing it straight into your transparency channel, (plane map down the y axis) and size accordingly, no weight map neccessary :) If you didn't want your object to actually dissapear around the edges but instead simply fade out your texture towards the edges then simply bring your alpha into the layers of your colour texture / bump texture and blend accordingly.

[EDIT] Just to clarify, the size of any texture in Lightwave is completely independant of the size or repeat patterns of any other texture, even textures within the same layers are size independant, hope that helps.

pawn707
09-08-2006, 05:56 PM
Thanks everyone. Took me a bit to figure out the relation between the weight map and the gradient but I finally got the result I desired.

Thanks again:)