PDA

View Full Version : What's in a name?

THREEL
09-07-2006, 11:44 PM
On to a happier subject, I hope.

I know this isn't exactly :lwicon: 3-D stuff, but I've always wondered where some of the, I'll call them "stage names", if you will, come from. You know, the names of the people we see here every day starting or replying to threads on this forum. Some are straight forward and just use there real names, while others are rather inventive with their "stage names". So, I'll start us off and see where it goes from here.

My "stage name" is THREEL, and it came about this way. A couple buddies and I have started a small, for now, video/3-D animation company and we were brainstorming to come up with a name for said company. Since there are 3 of us that's where the THREE came from. The L came about, because all 3 of us are left-handed. So, we began with 3-L, but that didn't seem quite flashy enough. One day, one of my friends made the comment that it'd be cool if we could form a word out of 3 and L, and that's how THREEL Studios got it's name. It's a lot more flashy than 3-L, don't you think. And that's why I use THREEL as my "stage name".

Anybody else willing to give 'er a go?:thumbsup:

THREEL, but you can call me AL.

Rich
09-08-2006, 12:14 AM
Well my real name is Richard but I prefer to be called Rich because I hope to be some day. :D

3D Kiwi
09-08-2006, 12:15 AM
Im from New Zealand and into 3D.

Took me ages to think of this one :beerchug:

mdoyle
09-08-2006, 02:57 AM
My real name is mark, and well my surname is doyle, not the most exciting name but just came up with it for a quick forum name lol

zardoz
09-08-2006, 03:08 AM
I had a tradition: every monday night I would stay in bed watching the 'monday night movie' eating cookies, popcorn, coke, etc...only good stuff for my health.
One day they showed 'Zardoz' with Sean Connery...and probably because I was around 17 or something I hated the movie...to me its one of the worst movies ever. Some friends gave me the dvd...it's still wrapped in plastic! One of these days I have to watch it again to see if I change my opinion.

By the way my name is Luís (different from Luiz, this is spanish...I am portuguese).

DiedonD
09-08-2006, 03:29 AM
My real name is Diedon, and my last name is Dorambari, for those who might not know. And though in ancient Ilirian sence, Diedon means like the son of the Sun, the god of gods, yadda yadda, in present time in albanian could come up as a Phillosopher actually. It also has this funny meaning in English.
Like my "stage name" here is Diedond, It kinda sounds in english as if - I died on a "D" - Died-On-D, wherever or whatever the "D" may mean.
Its kinda hard for most english speaking people to call me Ive noticed. Once when I called the University of Art in Miami, the rep after hearing my named spelled, he replied with a shaky voice like "So amm.... Died-Ooon, Right?:hey: " , it was quite funny actually.

So mine is a straightforward name that comes up kinda like a staged name.
And my friends call me Donnie for short.

Bog
09-08-2006, 04:52 AM
My real name's Mark, but back when I were a nipper, I needed something that was three characters long to go in a Battlezone arcade machine high-score table. I leant the joysticks over and hit fire three times, and got "Bog" for my random efforts. After using it in highscore tables all over the land, it seemed like less effort to just keep using it on the 'net.

DiedonD
09-08-2006, 05:16 AM
My real name's Mark, but back when I were a nipper, I needed something that was three characters long to go in a Battlezone arcade machine high-score table. I leant the joysticks over and hit fire three times, and got "Bog" for my random efforts. After using it in highscore tables all over the land, it seemed like less effort to just keep using it on the 'net.

How modest :) . Of course Bog also means God in most slavic languages. You know when its something good about your name you shuold mention that too, wont you agree :) ?
It also interesting for me, not believing in coincedence much myself, is that you "accidentally" clicked three letters that mean God in other languages.
So ah....Maybe its your destiny to become a God, Mark? :)

Nemoid
09-08-2006, 05:24 AM
Nemoid comes form a old comic book called Little Nemo in slumberland. :thumbsup:

But , simply, Nemo was just used in the web before as a nick , so i opted for Nemoid as it was kinda interesting - i like the "oid" ending as in paranoid or other words. (LOL) :agree: with myself.

Bog
09-08-2006, 05:25 AM
*laugh, laugh, laugh*

I'd love to say something self-deprecating, but I've got a Ghostbusters quote that I can't get out of my head right now!

Winston: "Ray, next time someone asks if you're a God, you say YES!"

DiedonD
09-08-2006, 05:33 AM
*laugh, laugh, laugh*

I'd love to say something self-deprecating, but I've got a Ghostbusters quote that I can't get out of my head right now!

Winston: "Ray, next time someone asks if you're a God, you say YES!"

That is funny :D

Hmmm.... Which part was that one on I wonder.

colkai
09-08-2006, 05:40 AM
Ahh me,
so boring and unimaginative. :P

My Stage name is really my real name shortened, Colin Kai becomes Colkai
My actual 'Stage' name was just my middle name Kai when in a group, simply because there were two Colins in the group and so Kai it was. :)

Not very exciting, but hey, I just couldn't be bothered coming up with anything else. ;)

The L came about, because all 3 of us are left-handed.

Well ain't that funky, both the wife and I are left-handed, which makes doing the work at the falconry center fun as I have to write the daily weights down wiv me right hand. Can ya say, drunken spider? :p

DogBoy
09-08-2006, 05:40 AM
My surname is Barker, so in school I'd get called Daniel Woof-Woof or similar.
At some point it became "Oi, dogboy?". I actually liked it, so it stuck.

DiedonD
09-08-2006, 06:07 AM
Ahh me,
so boring and unimaginative. :P

My Stage name is really my real name shortened, Colin Kai becomes Colkai
My actual 'Stage' name was just my middle name Kai when in a group, simply because there were two Colins in the group and so Kai it was. :)

Not very exciting, but hey, I just couldn't be bothered coming up with anything else. ;)

I was hoping you would walk in here, cause I ALWAYS thought that Colkai is the name of that falcon on your avatar. Its a pretty name for a falcon, but who knew...

Ztreem
09-08-2006, 06:17 AM
My last name is Strom and in swedish that means stream or current, so I just spelled it a bit different. Strom=Stream=Ztreem

colkai
09-08-2006, 06:42 AM
I was hoping you would walk in here, cause I ALWAYS thought that Colkai is the name of that falcon on your avatar. Its a pretty name for a falcon, but who knew...
Ahh, no, that beauty of a Lady is called Kyla.

Dodgy
09-08-2006, 07:04 AM
I'm Dodgy because one of my friends told me that when she first met me she thought I looked like I was very dodgy bloke, but I turned out not to be at all. I adopted the nickname out of pride ;)

TSpyrison
09-08-2006, 07:23 AM
First initial, last name.

Nothing to see here.. move along folks..

iconoclasty
09-08-2006, 09:16 AM
i-con-o-clast

–noun
1. a breaker or destroyer of images, esp. those set up for religious veneration.
2. a person who attacks cherished beliefs, traditional institutions, etc., as being based on error or superstition.

Wonderpup
09-08-2006, 10:09 AM
I have a Border collie called Maddie- when she was a puppy she chased a cat up a tree so fast she ended up sitting on the branch beside it , about twelve feet of the ground- so her name got changed to 'Maddie the Wonderpup' to reflect her new superhero status.

Happy ending though- Maddie fell out of the tree and landed right way up and the cat lived to tell the tale to other disbeliving cats.

hrgiger
09-08-2006, 10:40 AM
When I was a little kid, I saw the advertisement in the newspaper for the movie Alien which was a drawing of the Alien Egg and facehugger by H.R. Giger. It gave me the creeps and also oddly fascinated me. So, I'm a fan.

T-Light
09-08-2006, 10:42 AM
T-Light - short for Talking Light, a company I planned on setting up 11 years ago and still haven't gotten round to it.

Real name Brenton Holmes
Brenton as in Brenton Wood the 60's country singer who named himself after an American Indian Wood.
Holmes as in Sherlock.

Parents went through hundreds of names trying to find something that couldn't be taken the mick out of, Richard=Dick, Edward=Teddy, Andy=Andy Pandy etc (don't know sort of a kid they thought they were going to have). So Brenton it was, which was great, got called Brent or Sherlock right up until an advertising company blitzed the nation for a modern homes company. From that day until I left school the new nick was 'Barret Homes' :grumpy: :D

bryphi7
09-08-2006, 10:44 AM
BRYan PHIllips

cagey5
09-08-2006, 10:58 AM
Mine's another plain ol' boring one. Not quite the cagey character my nick would allude to, but simply my initials. K.G.When I first tried using it there was 4 other Cagey's so I ended up Cagey5.

THREEL
09-08-2006, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Colkai:

Well ain't that funky, both the wife and I are left-handed, which makes doing the work at the falconry center fun as I have to write the daily weights down wiv me right hand. Can ya say, drunken spider?

This stuff is cool, and I don't think any of it is boring. Another thing I find fascinating are the avatars under the names.

Colkai: You know what thay say about lefties: "We're the only ones in our right minds." LOL!!! Also, I'm left-handed, but I golf right-handed, makes for some interesting shots. 75 yards straight, and 75 yards right. Ha-Ha. But seriously. I'm into redtail hawks. We have a bunch of them here in Ohio. I don't do anything like falconry, but I'd like to someday. Actually, I came up with and idea for a movie script where the main character is a redtail, but like T-Light was saying about his company, I had to put it on the back burner, and it's been there for years. I even had a professional scriptwriter tell me that the idea alone was worth a lot of money, but I've never been sure who I could trust with it to keep focused on the main message of the film. Maybe once I get THREEL studios rolling well, I'll bring the script out of the moth balls.

Keep replying, it helps to break-up an otherwise busy day.

THREEL (AL)

art
09-08-2006, 11:27 AM
First name: Artur
Most english speaking people call me simply Art. No relation to "art" as in artist.
Last name: Wawrzonkiewicz (I've seen longer ones)

hrgiger
09-08-2006, 11:32 AM
I'm left-handed too. Where do you live at in Ohio THREEL?

gatz
09-08-2006, 12:01 PM
Gatz is an elogation of GTZ which were the initials I used for my high scores in DEFENDER. My last name is Gates. Someone had already taken GTS. Later games allowed 4 characters. By the time the internet appeared I already had a screen name.

At one point I looked into the domain. It's a canoe company. Which is better than my full name "Randy Gates" which, if Goggled, brings up an individual extoling the virtues of Ukranian mail order brides.

I'll stick with gatz.

rg

Rich
09-08-2006, 12:11 PM
Another lefty here :thumbsup:

We should do a poll and find out how many there are here. In real life (as if internet chat is make believe) I don't know many left handed people. Even both my brothers are right handed. I do almost everything left handed except play the guitar. The guy at the guitar shop convinced me that it would be easier to find shops that have right handed guitars and left handed ones would usually have to be special ordered. After finding out that Jimi Hendrix played lefty I wish I hadn't listened to him. Oh well, at least when I visit friends that play guitar they are all rightys, it makes it easier to use theirs if I don't have my guitar with me.

art
09-08-2006, 12:17 PM
Which is better than my full name "Randy Gates" which, if Goggled, brings up an individual extoling the virtues of Ukranian mail order brides.

It not only brings it up, its the first link on the results page (for me at least)

For the record: I'm left handed too, but for some tasks I use right hand (throwing stuff for example). If I played a guitar, i would do it with right hand.

Signal to Noise
09-08-2006, 12:25 PM
Peter Gabriel's song off the UP album "Signal To Noise" was playing when I was deciding what name to use signing up in another forum many, many years ago. The name stuck.

Wickster
09-08-2006, 12:46 PM
I came here to the U.S. many years ago (26years) from the Philippines. So I had a strong accent when speaking English. I tried to be cool in High School though by trying to talk slang so good became bad, great became awesome and well...Wicked became "Wicket".

Me classmates started calling me Wicket then and since the hot thing back then was tagging (vandalizing school desks) with your ball point pen, I was going to use Wicket as my tag name, but the teachers and deans already knew who "Wicket" was, so I changed it to Wickster. The name stuck since.

T-Light
09-08-2006, 12:54 PM
This is great isn't it :D

A few years ago I did a search on my name and it came back with an American homosexual poet. A quick search there came back with someone's profile in Amazon, Someone who was a guest speaker and ...
"Brenton Holmes has spent most of his career in the public and parliamentary. services, He was a former head of the Parliamentary Education Office"

Oh Really? Can't believe I left that off my CV. :foreheads

Kuzey
09-08-2006, 01:25 PM
Nice thread!!

Mine is real...go figure :neener:

It means North in english and together with my surname I'm the North Marksman.

Kuzey

gatz
09-08-2006, 01:27 PM
It not only brings it up, its the first link on the results page (for me at least)

Yea, I'm think about getting into the 3D mail order bride market by combining my modeling skills, prototyping technology, ballistics gel and heating elements.;)

rg

gerry_g
09-08-2006, 02:48 PM
My business card used to read Gerry Humberstone-Garley...........then the internet happened, so I dropped the middle bit but I'm lazy, it was still to much effort to type........... I think you can figure out the rest

lilrayray77
09-08-2006, 04:13 PM
This is a cool thread and a lot of interesting names. Anyway, as for my "name"; my brother at one time or another started calling me LilRayRay. I used it in the first forum I ever joined and it has stuck. If anyone has anyidea what this might mean (lilrayray) I'd like to know!

Exception
09-08-2006, 06:11 PM
Baxk when I was 13 there was something called the BBS network.. you know, you'd take your brand new 9600 baud modem, called to some nutcase who had 3 phone lines, and four people could talk and exchange dubious images and games together. I was a big part of that community but when I first logged on I had to pick a name... it was "Exception #13" then... Because that was one of those horrid fatal DOS errors that meant that your computer's mmemory was corrupt. I thought that was cool then. After many years everyone switched to IRC and that kind of thing, and those were too many chacaters.. so it became "exception". When I started my company 9 years ago, it was called Exception too... later though I thought that was too corny, and changed it to "Except", however by that time I was already "exception" on the Lw newsgroup and all... so it kinda stuck. On all the other forums (kray, maxwell, spinquad) I'm called Except.
Some of my friends call me "except" now too. Which is kinda weird :)

tonybliss
09-08-2006, 06:48 PM
cgswami came about from many things.
I do alot of Computer Graphic work professionally, which I also teach (english for sanksrit word swami) professionally. Here in Trinidad (www.visittnt.com) we tend to be VERY diversified individuals (I chose to master 3d and video with my MANY side trades).
Why swami, well I am heavy into eastern esoterics :). My sometimes online arrogance is only a frontish vehicle for my present existence.

Whatever than means to you of course ...
Cheers!!

ShawnStovall
09-08-2006, 08:20 PM
I put my real name because I figured I couldn't remember any other name but my real name and the beginning of my e-mail address <Zeus9000>. So depending on how my memory is working at the moment I pick my screen name, ShawnStovall if I'm having a bad day and Zeus9000 if I'm having a good day.

THREEL
09-08-2006, 08:59 PM
Quoted by hrgiger:

I'm left-handed too. Where do you live at in Ohio THREEL?

They say there are loads of lefties who are very artistic as well. It's a left-handed, right brain thing. I write left-handed, and play guitar southpaw, but I bat and golf right-handed. Oh, and use a computer mouse right-handed.

I live in an official Small Town U.S.A. called Bryan. It's in the Northwest corner of Ohio. We are centrally located between Detroit, Cincinnati, Cleveland, and Chicago. No more than 3 to 4 hours to these places, depending on traffic, and which direction the wind is blowing.

BTW--I was, also, wondering where and why people use the avatars that they do, and what's real and what's 3-D, and if they were self-created, or not.

Thanks for all these great responses. Keep it up!

THREEL (AL)

lightfoot97
09-09-2006, 12:59 AM
well ... lightfoot97

years ago I have seen lightwave3d (version 5 I think) at friend of mine, I really liked the looks and the name was (is still!) cool. - Therefore the "light"

But when registering to various forums It was simply too blunt, so I choose something a little bit different ... somehow "bigfoot" jumped to my mind, so "lightfoot" was born :D

And the 97? I am just used to add numbers to the ID, and for a long time now I have been stuck with 97. (Every time I think about it, I am trying to convince me, that it has nothing to do with ms word97).

btw: one of my hardsics is called "hyperwave" - also in reminiscence of lightwave

silverlw
09-09-2006, 01:49 AM
My real name is Johan Silversjö = swedish for Silver lake.
Ive been called Silver by my friends all my life and ive always used it as a handle on bbs'es and chatrooms. Ive been using Lw since 3.5 Hence my handle Silver + Lw

colkai
09-09-2006, 02:30 AM
They say there are loads of lefties who are very artistic as well. It's a left-handed, right brain thing. I write left-handed, and play guitar southpaw
Likewise, funny thing is, everyone expects me to hold my knife and fork the 'other way around'. I used to as a very young child, but mum forced me to learn the "right" way. (pun intended). :)

tonybliss
09-09-2006, 03:42 AM
Oh I am anidextrous, but I mostly used my right hand (i blame school). My avatar is a composite picture of me with a globe that was done in 3ds max 5 years ago for a clients interactive cd intro. I used to use the image as a watermark on my resume/cv pages.

DiedonD
09-09-2006, 05:10 AM
This is a cool thread and a lot of interesting names. Anyway, as for my "name"; my brother at one time or another started calling me LilRayRay. I used it in the first forum I ever joined and it has stuck. If anyone has anyidea what this might mean (lilrayray) I'd like to know!

Well if your name is Ray, then what it means is Little Ray (of light) of a (you) Ray to me. In a cute brotherly sence.
I used to call my uncles daughter a "Little Smelly Gizmo" cause she always stinked and looked like Gizmo in those green creatures "horror" movies.

T-Light
09-09-2006, 06:03 AM
diedond -

I used to call my uncles daughter a "Little Smelly Gizmo" cause she always stinked and looked like Gizmo in those green creatures "horror" movies.
Hang on, let's get this straight, your uncle has a small hairy daughter with a serious body odour problem and to add insult to injury you called her 'Little Smelly Gizmo'?

Do the terms morality and ethics mean anything to you ? :D

tonybliss
09-09-2006, 06:12 AM
Rotfl
Lol!!

DiedonD
09-09-2006, 07:29 AM
diedond -

Hang on, let's get this straight, your uncle has a small hairy daughter with a serious body odour problem and to add insult to injury you called her 'Little Smelly Gizmo'?

Do the terms morality and ethics mean anything to you ? :D

Now, now... Talk Light, T-Light!

Also, I think your comment there might change this good, free and open to everybody, thread to a more closed and carefully planned comments. Since, noone would share things if the kinds like you would moralize you know.

Besides, your in no position to judge me cause you dont know me, and you dont know those circumstances. Here I am telling everyone things I wouldnt normally, cause that was the atmosphere like, and you had to spoil it with your cornered moral blow. Thats not nice, wouldnt you agree Brent?!

T-Light
09-09-2006, 07:46 AM
Sorry diedond, it wasn't a knock, I wasn't really bringing your morals into this :)
It was meant humourously, that's why the big grin's at the end of the post. :)

DiedonD
09-09-2006, 07:49 AM
Sorry diedond, it wasn't a knock, I wasn't really bringing your morals into this :)
It was meant humourously, that's why the big grin's at the end of the post. :)

Thats what I wanted to hear from you Brent :) . Cause I know you for a good guy. Apology accepted, no harm done now, lets move on shall we...

Exception
09-09-2006, 08:48 AM
Can I still laugh about the little smelly hairy gizmo?

HAHA!

tonybliss
09-09-2006, 09:01 AM
I took it as a joke, nothing else, 'twas funny though.
Diedond thanks for sharing, we appreciate the stories behind names, real fun.

Intuition
09-09-2006, 12:52 PM
My name is Casey Christopher Benn.

Most people, including myself, just type KC in emails or posts.

Feel free to call me by name, just don't use my full name unless you are a female and there is water dripping off of your butt because I left the toilet seat up again and knew you wouldn't check. :D

tribbles
09-09-2006, 02:03 PM
My surname is "Tribbeck", which lends itself to "tribbles".

Skinner3D
09-09-2006, 02:23 PM
:D No surprises from me. Last name and the types of applications I use.

I created my avatar myself, it was the first image that I was ever really happy with.:)

Exception
09-09-2006, 03:32 PM
My surname is "Tribbeck",

That's the guy from Celebrity Jeopardy on Sat. Night Live...
Heeheee!

tribbles
09-09-2006, 03:38 PM
Heeheee!
I think it's spelt differently - there are some variations: Tribeck, Trebeck and Trebek being the most common ones. (Living in the UK, I don't get to watch much Saturday Night Live, so I wouldn't know :) ).

THREEL
09-09-2006, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Exception:

Heeheee!

Actually, Alex Trebeck is the host of the real Jeopardy. SNLs version is just a parady of Jeopardy. Usually, they have a very funny parady of Sean Connery as one of the contestants.

BTW--Gizmo was the really cute Gremlin that never mutated on the movie THE GREMLINS. I'm not sure that he smelled bad, though. :lol: It was all those other Gremlins who got wet and ate after midnight that got all NASTY. HaHa!!!

Originally posted by Intuition:

Feel free to call me by name, just don't use my full name unless you are a female and there is water dripping off of your butt because I left the toilet seat up again and knew you wouldn't check.

Hey KC! Women will do a heck-of-a-lot more to you than call you by your full name, if you leave the seat up. Know what I mean?!:eek:

Keep the posts coming. :thumbsup: I think it's a cool way to help us grow closer as a community.

THREEL (AL)

DiedonD
09-10-2006, 02:44 AM
Anyone seen Pooby around? Wonder how that one cameabout?
Also BeeVee, the triger happy Chuck, or even Proton.
Oh and my "Ally" :) in times of trouble DragonFist, that just must have a good story behind it

colkai
09-10-2006, 03:02 AM
Also BeeVee, the triger happy Chuck
Those two I can answer, B.V. are BeeVee's inititals and of course Chuck is Chuck Baker. :)

IMPERIAL
09-10-2006, 09:02 AM
My name is Antonijo Rop
Imperial came from....imperial forces...it was long time ago..at the time sounded good for a company name.

Avatar is Logo of the company made in LW.

Do you know any antonijo..with J? Well..the person who put me in the (birth paper)..made mestake..but thanks to him i was able to get email address with only my name in 1997... when almost all names were taken.

THREEL
09-10-2006, 11:00 AM
My name is Antonijo Rop
Imperial came from....imperial forces...it was long time ago..at the time sounded good for a company name.

Avatar is Logo of the company made in LW.

Do you know any antonijo..with J? Well..the person who put me in the (birth paper)..made mestake..but thanks to him i was able to get email address with only my name in 1997... when almost all names were taken.

Is that Imperial Forces as in Star Wars, because that first thing that ran through my mind when I saw the name Imperial was Darth Vader's theme song.

My Avatar's my company Logo, too, but it'll probably change a little before I'm through.

I mispelled my eldest daughter's name, too, when she was born. I put two b's in it, instead of just one. Funny thing is, the nickname for her full name does have two b's in it. Go figure!

THREEL (AL)

Hipcheck
09-10-2006, 11:47 AM
I've always thought my forum name was fairly obvious to understand. Over the years tho, I've come across many people that don't get it. In any case... I am a big ice hockey fan and the hip check is probably one of the most effective means of disabling an opponent when done correctly. It can be quite devestating as well. Unfortunately, it is a dieing artform in the NHL... I use this ID on all the other forums i visit. Real name is John Butler... nice to meet ya!

Bog
09-10-2006, 12:15 PM
Actually, to answer the bigger question of "What's in a name?"

Onomatopaea.

;)

IMPERIAL
09-10-2006, 07:10 PM
Is that Imperial Forces as in Star Wars, because that first thing that ran through my mind when I saw the name Imperial was Darth Vader's theme song.

Yes..always liked the way Darth Vader looked... and sounded :)

Now days every third company is imperial in my country..and most of them sell wood or something like that.

THREEL
09-10-2006, 09:16 PM
Actually, to answer the bigger question of "What's in a name?"

Onomatopaea.

;)

Hey there Bog. I honestly had to Google that word to figure it out.

Zip, Clang, Click. Are those Onomatopaea type words? That's what I found when I did my search.:D

THREEL (AL)

Tiger
09-11-2006, 12:33 AM
I call myself Tiger because my real name is Thomas Thiger and my ancestors comes from Belgium.

lardbros
09-11-2006, 02:45 AM
What a cool thread!! Good idea ThreeL!

My forum name is nothing to do with weight issues or because i eat unhealthily. My surname is Laird, which despite being easy to say and quite short, got shortened to Lard, Lardy or lengthened to Lairdy at school. Trust me, i wasn't a bloater, and only good friends called me it at school, so it wasn't bullying either! :D (Off topic slightly, my uncle is ginger and while at school his nickname was "MarmaLaird". Very clever play on words from Marmalade which is an Orange preserve type jam/jelly here in UK. Kids can be really clever with their nicknames!)

Anyway, me and my identical twin brother set up a hotmail account, when we first got the internet years ago, and thought we wouldn't use it much so created it as a joint one. As we were brothers and both called Lard at school, we chose Lardbros, and now i use it as my forum names and stuff.

Also, about the left-handed thing. My brother is Left-handed (we're mirror twins) and he plays golf right handed, but most other things lefty.

My avatar is a small part of a self-portrait i did of myself, while i taught myself how to model a human face.

NEXT.....

THREEL
09-11-2006, 03:13 AM
What a cool thread!! Good idea ThreeL!

Thanks lardbros!:) Maybe you guys could give this thread a real nice rating and even more people would join in.

Also, I don't think we've heard from any of the lady :lwicon:vers out there, and I know there are some. One I know for sure is CelShader. I'm pretty sure I know where her "stage name" and Avatar came from, but I'd like to see her here, too. She has really given much good advice on this forum.:thumbsup:

'Til next time. THREEL, but you can call me AL.

DragonFist
09-11-2006, 04:02 AM
I like this thread!

And yes, Deidond, there is a story behind DragonFist.

The short version is that I played a lot of Dungeons and Dragons as a kid and love dragons in general. When DnD came out with Oriental Adventures, I created a character for it called DragonFist who was a ninja/monk type character and it has stuck. When I play RPG games and such, I almost always use this name and try to create a monk/ninja character if the game has such classes. I like the name and it is better than the nickname that I had as a teenager (Whitebread, as I was the only white guy in a group of friend that I had.)

The slightly longer version involves the fact that when I was creating the character it was after school and on the way to the game I came upon some bullies beating up a grammar school kid. I helped the kid out and messed up my fist pretty bad (the faces of bullies have a lot of bone). Anyhow, when I got to the game and was trying to come up with the name, I wanted something with Dragon in it cause I like them and my fist really hurt.

The Character's full name is DragonFist WyrmFriend and has a whole back story that involves the character's ancestor having saved a dragon's babies from dragonslayers. The character's right hand (I am not lefty) is scaled as that of a dragon, the reasons for this have become his quest to discover.

My real name is Shawn M. Smith. I grew up in New Jersey and was the shortest kid in my class in grammar school and got beaten up daily. At age 13, I grew from 4'11" to 6'2" (inside one year, let me tell you, my joints hurt often) and the tables turned on those fights and I became the guy others could walk home safely with. To this day, I still wear that hat to some degree, though I no longer need to use my fists. At least I haven't had to in quite some time.

Best,

Shawn "DragonFist" Smith

Edited for clarification of some points.

Kuzey
09-11-2006, 07:11 AM

I can come close :thumbsup:

On my birth certificate they put down the day my mum was discharged as my birth date. So I have two birthdays, one week apart but I could never get people to go along with it :gotpics:

Kuzey

starbase1
09-11-2006, 08:08 AM
OK, this is a long one! Many years ago in the days before the internet, when the world was young, I started to use bulletin boards, (with a 300 baud accoustic coupler as it happens). Before long I wanted to start my own.

I wanted to do an Astronomy themed one, but I was not sure if the demand was there, so I wanted a blurry name that could be taken as SF or science. The idea of stars / database combined with the more SF style Starbase seemed a good one. The one came because even in the earliest days I had the idea of getting others networked around the world using good old Fidonet, a node to node dial up mail network.

Eventually SB2, 3, 4 and I think briefly 5 appeared. By a stroke of luck SB3 was completely indendent astronomy BBS, that started counting at three. There was also a Starbase 470 something, but I never found out why...

I shut the BBS down as the internet grew, after fighting some seriously rubbish early conferencing type software.

As a side note, back in the days of Asteroids, I generally used BNO. This because there were 3 Nicks in the office at the time - they were trying to decide what to call me, someone noticed I was reading the Beano, said 'Beano!' and I looked up.

Nick

WhiteBoy
09-12-2006, 04:22 AM
My name in real life is Adam Banks. Yes, just like the kid in The Mighty Ducks. (I get that a lot.) Yet, oddly enough, I've never even seen the movie.

I think my screen name is pretty self-explanatory. Although the accurate full name would be White Boy with Sideburns. My old email account had suddenly been overcome by spam, so I decided to kill the old email address and start a new e-life. I wanted something descriptive and unique, so after a bit of deep pondering, I officially became whiteboywithsideburns. But since that's too long for most bulletin boards, WhiteBoy fits nicely most of the time.

The end.

THREEL
09-12-2006, 07:20 AM
My name in real life is Adam Banks. Yes, just like the kid in The Mighty Ducks. (I get that a lot.) Yet, oddly enough, I've never even seen the movie.

Hey there Adam,

You haven't seen Mighty Ducks, but do you play ice hockey? Or... How 'bout this one. Do you play That Funky Music? :D

Keep the posts coming and tell your friends to join in. I know there's a bunch more out there.

THREEL (AL)

Aegis
09-12-2006, 06:37 PM
Aegis = 'the shield of the Gods'
The shield given to Perseus to protect him from the gaze of the gorgon Medusa :)

BlackOpsBen
09-12-2006, 08:17 PM
"BlackOpsBen" started as my Halo character name. My name is Ben, and since halo is about a special forces operative, and I like covert missions, I dubbed myself BlackOpsBen

THREEL
09-12-2006, 09:17 PM
Aegis = 'the shield of the Gods'
The shield given to Perseus to protect him from the gaze of the gorgon Medusa :)

Wasn't there software, or a software company called Aegis that ran on the old Amiga computers? I still have my old Amiga 500 sitting in moth balls in the garage. It was amazing what that computer could do, considering it only had 1 meg of RAM and no hard-drive. A lot of disk swapping went on when it came time to render. This was the platform I started 3-D on. It's hard to get rid of an old friend.:)

THREEL (AL)

art
09-13-2006, 06:53 AM
I think that one of the games they (aegis) released on amiga was "Ports of call". I might be wrong though.

THREEL
09-13-2006, 08:02 AM
I think that one of the games they (aegis) released on amiga was "Ports of call". I might be wrong though.

Yep, Art. I think your right. In fact, I think I had that game. I remember wanting it, because of my love to travel. Although, I've been overseas only once.

Keep the responses coming everyone.

THREEL (AL)

starbase1
09-13-2006, 10:04 AM
...because of my love to travel. Although, I've been overseas only once.

THREEL (AL)

Just a guess, but are you american?
:confused:

Nick

Lightwolf
09-13-2006, 11:41 AM
Hah, might as well post too...

I guess that explains the handle on the forum too.

Cheers,
Mike
P.S. Yet another lefty here!
P.P.S. And have any of the other lefties ever noticed that the righties actual hold their cutlery the wrong way? Must be because knives were historically used with the right hand, but as soon as the knife is gone ... the fork moves over to the right. Strange they are indeed ;)

THREEL
09-13-2006, 12:05 PM
Just a guess, but are you american?

How'd you guess? Do my passport lines show? :D Actually, I used to have a pen-pal who lived in Oakwood, Derbyshire. Her name is Jennifer. I went to England to visit her way back in 1988. Since, I was already across "The Pond" , I purchased a Eur-Rail pass and traveled throughout Europe, Israel, and Egypt, too. Egypt was only a pit-stop though. However, I did get to see the great pyramids, from afar. Then, back to Europe. I lost track of her after I got married.

P.S. Yet another lefty here!

Maybe that's our next assignment, Mike. Conduct a poll to compare the amount of lefties to righties who use :lwicon:. So far, I've heard from a lot of lefties on this thread.

BTW--I think your "stage name" is cool. Lightwolf sounds like the title to an exciting action/adventure television show. Oh... That was Airwolf. LOL!!! Maybe, Lightwolf can be the sequel to Airwolf.

Looking forward to more.

Lightwolf
09-13-2006, 12:11 PM
Maybe, Lightwolf can be the sequel to Airwolf.

Hehe, maybe HeliumWolf - lighter than air... 8/

Cheers,
Mike - king of bad puns ;)

Lew
09-13-2006, 12:28 PM
Hehe, maybe HeliumWolf - lighter than air... 8/

Cheers,
Mike - king of bad puns ;)
So maybe AudioWolf - since you already have the mike.

If you're the king, I may be a prince.
Lew

Lew
09-13-2006, 12:29 PM
P.S.
I can't do any of this stuff since I am so dull I just use my name.
Can't say who.

starbase1
09-13-2006, 12:33 PM
How'd you guess? Do my passport lines show? :D Actually, I used to have a pen-pal who lived in Oakwood, Derbyshire. Her name is Jennifer. I went to England to visit her way back in 1988. Since, I was already across "The Pond" , I purchased a Eur-Rail pass and traveled throughout Europe, Israel, and Egypt, too. Egypt was only a pit-stop though. However, I did get to see the great pyramids, from afar. Then, back to Europe. I lost track of her after I got married.

Sounds like you managed to pack a lot into your trip then! Sorry - I met a few americans who viewed the next state as 'travel' :D :D :D

My own list, in no particular order, Singapore, Malaysia, France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Greece, Turkey, Austria, Hungary, Moldova, Romania, Belgium, Italy, Cyprus, Saudi Arabia, Russia, USA, Venezuela, Tahiti, Fiji, Cook Islands, New Zealand, Australia, Portugal... probably missed a few...

Top of the places I still want to visit, Canada, Malta, Iceland, low Earth orbit.

Friendliest place on the planet: Cook Islands.
Best food on the planet: Malaysia

Nick

Lightwolf
09-13-2006, 12:38 PM
So maybe AudioWolf - since you already have the mike.

If you're the king, I may be a prince.

Lol... after this I just resigned... you may have my crown :jester:

Cheers,
Mike

Cougar12dk
09-13-2006, 02:05 PM
Cougar is from TopGun. The 12dk part is a generic thing made up by a clanforum, when I was playing Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear with the SMAK-clan back in '96 through to '98. After a couple of years of playing with SMAK the name just stuck.

THREEL
09-13-2006, 02:59 PM
Hehe, maybe HeliumWolf - lighter than air...

You know, I just got this mental picture of a wolf (the 4-legged variety), tethered to a child's wrist, floating a few feet above the child's head.

FREAKY!!! :p LOL!!!

Sounds like you managed to pack a lot into your trip then! Sorry - I met a few americans who viewed the next state as 'travel'

World travel is great, and I'm all for it:thumbsup:, but sometimes the richest treasures are buried right in your own backyard. Especially, with the price of gas these days. Are you single? Since my little jaunt across Europe and parts of the Middle East, I've gotten married, and have four children. The food bill alone for four growing kids on a family vacation will break the bank. HaHa!!! It makes it a little harder to globe trot. For me, "travel" is any location outside my house these days.:D :D :D What did you think of Australia, and New Zeland? Those are 2 dream vacation destinations of mine. Ah well... maybe someday.

Looking forward to more posts.

THREEL (AL)

T-Light
09-13-2006, 03:00 PM
Lightwolf -

P.P.S. And have any of the other lefties ever noticed that the righties actual hold their cutlery the wrong way? Must be because knives were historically used with the right hand, but as soon as the knife is gone ... the fork moves over to the right. Strange they are indeed

It's technical. We use our right hands to cut food when using a knife and fork, the right hand/arm is more powerfull - Soooo, when you take away the knife it leaves the cutting of food to the fork - (which is rubbish) power of the right arm comes into play again and we switch hands.

If you're in a restaurant and you're viciously assaulted by a sprout hitting you between the eyes, it'll be one of us trying to cut with a fork using our left hand only, that and the fact we openly target 'lefties' in restaurants :D

lwaddict
09-13-2006, 03:03 PM
My real name is Richard...
I started working with Lightwave around version 5.
I was instantly hooked.
My wife missed me, my family missed me, my pets just forgot what I looked like altogether.
I was absorbed in books, videos, anything I could get my hands on to get me more comfortable with the product so I could get into the fx world even faster. Yeah right huh? LOL.

Anyways...
a friend dubbed me the LW Addict.
Some still call me LW for short.

Hang in there,

LWAddict

Lightwolf
09-13-2006, 03:15 PM
If you're in a restaurant and you're viciously assaulted by a sprout hitting you between the eyes, it'll be one of us trying to cut with a fork using our left hand only, that and the fact we openly target 'lefties' in restaurants :D
Lol... well, I hope it was an english cook then, it will be so mushy it won't hurt ;)
I've actually yet to see a lefty who switches the hand used for the fork this way, and the first time I really noticed it (which isn't that long ago) it struck me as extremely odd. Especially since I think either way, you need more skill for the fork.

Cheers,
Mike - way off topic now...

kopperdrake
09-13-2006, 03:20 PM
There are some weird reasons!

I needed an alt name for my portfolio. Real christian name's Duncan, and coincidentally also the name of a dragon on telly when I was a kid - Duncan the Dragon. Favourite colour is orange, or copper, so i had copperdragon, but I was born in Germany so it turned into kopperdrake.

As to Bog's name - nice one :D My more normal nickname is biskit - Dunk...biscuit...no prizes there ;) For the arcades it got shortened to 'bik'. Now I'm older I'm just Dunk...

THREEL
09-13-2006, 09:46 PM
I've actually yet to see a lefty who switches the hand used for the fork this way, and the first time I really noticed it (which isn't that long ago) it struck me as extremely odd. Especially since I think either way, you need more skill for the fork.

Hey there Mike,

I'm, actually, a leftie who uses my left hand to both cut and stab (with a fork that is) my food. Which is strange, because I'm a right-handed mouse user. You would think I could use both hands for something like that.:stumped:

BTW--Are you in the service? If you are, God Bless You for serving our country. If not, God Bless You, anyway.

If you're in a restaurant and you're viciously assaulted by a sprout hitting you between the eyes, it'll be one of us trying to cut with a fork using our left hand only, that and the fact we openly target 'lefties' in restaurants

I'll make sure I wear my safety glasses, and you make sure you yell FORE!!! the next time we're in the same restaurant, hey T-Light.:D :D :D

I needed an alt name for my portfolio. Real christian name's Duncan, and coincidentally also the name of a dragon on telly when I was a kid - Duncan the Dragon. Favourite colour is orange, or copper, so i had copperdragon, but I was born in Germany so it turned into kopperdrake.

Have you ever seen a movie called DRAGONHEART? I think that was the title, anyway. Sean Connery provided the voice of the dragon. I thought it was a really good film. Also, kopperdrake sounds like it could be the name used for a rusty duck.:rolleyes:

Keep 'em coming :lwicon:vers!

THREEL (AL)

Lightwolf
09-14-2006, 02:01 AM
BTW--Are you in the service? If you are, God Bless You for serving our country. If not, God Bless You, anyway.
Nope sorry, I'm both and avid pacifist as well as an avid atheist (I also did community service instead of military service here). I believe neither in violence nor in god.... ;)

Cheers,
Mike

DiedonD
09-14-2006, 02:02 AM
Alright.... Looks like Pooby and Proton remain unanswered, otherwise everyone else I know is here.
You know Im always aware how rarely they appear in these forums. They are that bussy. Its almost as if coming to this comunity is like a measuring tool. The more you come here the more you dont have work, which is kinda bad. Look at the two I mentioned for instance. They almost never show up.

This comunity meter makes appearing here more conflictive, dont you think. Its like, yes its good to come here chat with coleagues, learn things, etc, but then that shows that just how much of a free time you have spending, instead of doing what you should. :hey:

starbase1
09-14-2006, 03:00 AM
Yep, I'm married. But living in London, Paris is a short train ride away through the tunnel, and there must be a dozen countries less that 2 hours flight away. Eastern Europe is very cheap when you get there.

kopperdrake
09-14-2006, 03:11 AM
Lol... well, I hope it was an english cook then, it will be so mushy it won't hurt ;)

A hard sprout is not a sprout, it's a small toy that can choke small kids. Don't think of it as overcooking but rather as saving lives.

Long live the mushy sprout :thumbsup:

THREEL
09-14-2006, 05:57 AM
Hi kopperdrake,

I just noticed you live in Derby. Is that in Derbyshire? I used to have a pen-pal that lived in Oakwood, Derbyshire. Her name is Jennifer (Blake) Hale. I lost track of her after I got married 15 years ago. It would be cool if I could find her again and catch up on what's been going on in each other's lives.

Thanks!

THREEL (AL)

Maxx
09-14-2006, 07:07 AM
All right - throwing this one into the ring. You remember how, when you were a kid, if you got in trouble with the parents, Mom would call you by your full name? Well, my full name is Michael Alexander, and I was on a roll on day... So, by about the fifth time she had to call me ("Michael Alexander, get your butt out here!"), she accidentally shortened it to Max. She liked it so much she forgot what I had done wrong. And the nickname kinda stuck throughout all of high school and college, and my wife and close friends call me Max today. The extra "x" just makes it that eensy bit cooler, don't you think?

Also, the avatar is Satan, the first character I modeled in LW and star of a short film I never finished, "Satan Gets a Beer". Let's just say there's karoake, Satan, and Joan Osborne involved. Hoping to get back to it someday...

ravantra
09-14-2006, 02:43 PM
My stage name is ravantra which is simply my name Art Navar spelled backwards. The idea came out of erehwon (nowhere) the mountain outfit company.

THREEL
09-14-2006, 09:50 PM
My stage name is ravantra which is simply my name Art Navar spelled backwards. The idea came out of erehwon (nowhere) the mountain outfit company.

Hi Art,

I have a friend that posts on this forum, and he did the same thing for his stage name. I won't give away his name thou. He'll have to do that himself, if he wants to.

BTW--I always had this feeling that someone was breathing down the back of my neck when I'm on the computer. Now, I know it's you.:eek: :D

THREEL (AL)

DiedonD
09-15-2006, 01:18 AM
Also, the avatar is Satan, the first character I modeled in LW and star of a short film I never finished, "Satan Gets a Beer". Let's just say there's karoake, Satan, and Joan Osborne involved. Hoping to get back to it someday...

Nice choice for a very first character :D My first character was an old wizard.
Maybe we could fight them off someday :D

ravantra
09-15-2006, 08:04 AM
BTW--I always had this feeling that someone was breathing down the back of my neck when I'm on the computer. Now, I know it's you.:eek: :D
THREEL (AL)

I always feel like I am looking over all you LW users shoulders. I can't express how grateful I am to all who have taught me so much!

wellsichris
09-15-2006, 09:05 AM
my name is Chris Wells, awhile back I spent 2 years in peru, and friends called me wellsy. but the in spanish the i sounds like when you say the letter e. So I did wellsichris. not to original but nice and confusing.

also if you read my posts and it looks like i'm a non-native english speaker, just know I speak 2 languages equally bad. :)

no pablo, no pablo muy bueno

Yamba
09-15-2006, 06:41 PM
Hi, my name is Shane Mulcahy.

My Avatar is a Honey Ant and my alias is Yamba (explained later)

I live in the dead centre of Australia in Alice Springs (Pop: 25,000) about 1600 Klms from the nearest city both North and South. Temperatures range between -7c in Winter to 45c+ in summer.

Honey ants are ants which are gorged with food by workers, to the point that their abdomens swell enormously. Other ants then extract nourishment from them. They function essentially as living larders.

Sometimes raiders from other colonies will attempt to kidnap the resident honeypot ants because of their relatively high nutritional value.

The insects are edible and form an occasional part of the diet of various Australian Aboriginal peoples.

Several different groups of ants have independently evolved a honeypot lifestyle. The best known are the Myrmecocystus honeypots of western North America and Camponotus inflatus of Australia.

http://www.sasionline.org/antsfiles/pages/honeyants/honey.html

Having eaten honey ants many many times I must admit they taste fantastic.

My alias (which is no longer an alias) Yamba is the name of a local children's television character, I directed 1752 1/2 hour episodes over the years.

http://www.yambasplaytime.com.au/

I'm a local freelancer, camera, editor, writer, director and producer with thirty years broadcast production experience and have been using LW since Ver 6.

Yamba is a derivation of the word "yerrampe" an Arrernte, the local aboriginal language group, word for Honey Ant.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/photography/galleries/deserts_tundra/popup2.html

THREEL
09-15-2006, 08:19 PM
Pardon the pun, but wasn't Yamba's story sweet. For those of you that don't get all of the American slang words we use, to be truthful, I don't get all of our slang, and I've lived here all my life, sweet is American slang for cool, great, fantastic, etc...

Keep 'em coming!!!

THREEL

art
09-18-2006, 08:10 AM
I live in the dead centre of Australia in Alice Springs (Pop: 25,000) about 1600 Klms from the nearest city both North and South. Temperatures range between -7c in Winter to 45c+ in summer.

What a coincidence, I was looking at your town via google satellite images just a week or so ago and wondered why/how people live so far away from everywhere. It must be quite unique (as in good) experience.

CG Addict
09-18-2006, 10:08 AM
Well …*no explainging to do here.

csoars
09-20-2006, 05:21 AM
I just used my first initial and last name - I once joined a forum and used a clever tag and promplty forgot it so I got boring. I sometimes use my kids log on "Blade5" which means nothing but apparently sounds cool.

Colin Soars [csoars]

trentonia
09-20-2006, 09:20 AM
My last name is Trent. I live on 8 acres of land that I dubbed Trentonia. I can do that because I am the King of Trentonia. My avatar is a picture of my house which is a geodesic dome, or a tesselated sphere, if you like. I need to change my avatar to a more recent photo. You can see hundreds of photos of the building process at my website.

lazerbase
09-20-2006, 09:47 AM
Whilst messing about with my midi equipment a few years ago I made a really bad disco hosue track with a bassline that was made from a laser noise from star wars!

I decided to call the tune Lazerbase!

Boring eh? :D

trentonia
09-20-2006, 09:14 PM
I want to know whatever happened to abysmalgail and is she OK?
Where did ACLOBO come from?
Ade...is he here to help us or is he just a pexel realestate agent?
adhesiveX...experimental glue is my guess.
akota...I'm not surprised we haven't heard from him, he was a slacker extraordinaire.
allaboutkeys...what the heck does that mean? Is that a drug reference or is he a janitor?
Alliante...he's a wino...Re-Member?
amiga2091...I had a 2000 and a buddy had a 2500, but I don't remember the 2091?
andromeda_girl...haven't heard from her in a while...I guess she went back home.
Antimatter...he didn't matter that much.
Aquaman...I heard he drowned off the coast of the Sahara.
art...what do you call a quadraplegic hanging on the wall?
astro-sanchez...remember him, the medicated drama queen? Hundreds of posts and we haven't heard a word. Do you think he abandoned LW for a lesser 3D package like Max or Maya or Notepad?
That's all of the Aaaaaays. 3711 of them. I vote that anyone who has never posted be removed from the list.

art
09-21-2006, 07:19 AM
astro-sanchez...remember him, the medicated drama queen? Hundreds of posts and we haven't heard a word. Do you think he abandoned LW for a lesser 3D package like Max or Maya or Notepad?

I do not know what happened, but I miss his renders.

Nice, unique house by the way. I wish to own a house one day, 0.3 acres will do it.

trentonia
09-21-2006, 07:54 AM
Thanks Art! I wanted to build a dome since 1978.

art
09-21-2006, 08:21 AM
And as I said to some of my friends, no matter if your home in U.S. is worth $10,000 or $50 million, most likely all the power outlets and light switches are the same. When I was redoing my condo I tried to find something more unique, modern, particularly for the light switches but the selection was quite limited, even on the internet. Just a minor complaint :)

I want to hear from proton regarding his nickname

BeeVee
09-21-2006, 09:04 AM
A2091 was the SCSI hard drive controller card for the A2000. If your friend had an A2500 then he probably had one.

B

THREEL
10-15-2006, 09:18 PM
I want to know whatever happened to abysmalgail and is she OK?
Where did ACLOBO come from?
Ade...is he here to help us or is he just a pexel realestate agent?
adhesiveX...experimental glue is my guess.
akota...I'm not surprised we haven't heard from him, he was a slacker extraordinaire.
allaboutkeys...what the heck does that mean? Is that a drug reference or is he a janitor?
Alliante...he's a wino...Re-Member?
amiga2091...I had a 2000 and a buddy had a 2500, but I don't remember the 2091?
andromeda_girl...haven't heard from her in a while...I guess she went back home.
Antimatter...he didn't matter that much.
Aquaman...I heard he drowned off the coast of the Sahara.
art...what do you call a quadraplegic hanging on the wall?
That's all of the Aaaaaays. 3711 of them. I vote that anyone who has never posted be removed from the list.

I'm hoping to get this thread going again with more great responses. I think it helps us all to get to know the :lwicon: community better. Remember, what we're looking to see: How you came up with your handle, call sign, stage name, etc. and what inspired your avatar.

Happy :lwicon:ing!

THREEL (AL)

GandB
10-15-2006, 09:28 PM
My avatar is the Logo I designed for our little Indy Company, Ozark Games. GandB stands for George and Bob; they were the names of my late Ryukin Fantail Goldfish (they were about the size of grapefruits before they died).

-Keith

THREEL
10-15-2006, 10:03 PM
Hey there Keith,

What part of Michigan are you from? I'm from Bryan, Ohio. Just a stone's throw away from MI. Ever here of it? Bryan's famous for Spanlger's Dum-Dum lollipops and the Etch-A-Sketch. Do Ryukin Fantail Goldfish normally get that big, or were they SUPER Goldfish?

Thanks for your response!

tHREEL, but you can call me AL.:D

ScottSullivan
10-15-2006, 10:10 PM
Threel, this has been a GREAT idea for a thread. We all have discussions and give tips and help each other out so much here, yet don't really know some basic things. At least that's how I feel. I don't want to put words in other peoples' mouths.

Obviously, my stage name is my given name, Scott Sullivan.

In my life before being a 'Waver, I was a full time magician, performing at company coctail hours and the sort. Very fun job. I met my wife (a full time caricature artist) at a job. She drew a great caricature of me and I modeled it in LW. Now I'm making that character a 'mascot' for my website.

Yes, I know it's a very crude picture, but, hey, I can laugh at myself! In fact, I often do!!!

It's an honor to meet everyone here!

Scott

GandB
10-15-2006, 10:21 PM
I'm in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan (with the bears and such :D). I didn't know that Dum-Dums and Etch-A-Sketch came from there; nice little tidbit of info. Actually there was a farm-raised Fantail Goldfish that was so big, the breeder held it in two hands! I believe the oldest Goldfish on record was over 40 years old. I got those 2 Goldies at Wal-Mart; everybody was surprised they lasted as long as they did (you just have to maintain good water quality). I began keeping Freshwater Aquariums as a hobby in the summer of 2003 (after I got back from the Middle East), I still have 2 tanks running right now. I used to raise Corydoras catfish (Peppered), from eggs; they only grow to about 1.5 inches.

I've actually thought about modeling and animating some fish one of these days.

-Keith

THREEL
10-15-2006, 10:40 PM
In my life before being a 'Waver, I was a full time magician, performing at company coctail hours and the sort. Very fun job. I met my wife (a full time caricature artist) at a job. She drew a great caricature of me and I modeled it in LW. Now I'm making that character a 'mascot' for my website.

Ahhhh, true love!!! Romance knows no boundaries. :heart:

Will your mascot have a new name, or will he be Scott 2?

ScottSullivan
10-15-2006, 10:45 PM
Well, I've named the file Dorkboy. So maybe that will be the name just out of stupidity. Who knows!

THREEL
10-15-2006, 10:51 PM
Well, I've named the file Dorkboy. So maybe that will be the name just out of stupidity. Who knows!

Sounds like the name of a funky superhero. Maybe, you can dress him, so he has a Big "D" on his chest. LOL!!! You'll need to come up with a take-off slogan like Superman's thou.

tHREEL (AL)

Puguglybonehead
10-16-2006, 12:38 AM
Well, my handle came from an episode of Rocket Robin Hood (http://www.kevinmccorrytv.com/rrobin.html), a really bad 1960s animated TV series. The character of Little John, who is drawn as a muscle-bound oaf, finds himself on an asteroid, face to face with a leprechaun. He stares stupidly at the leprechaun, having never seen one before. The leprechaun then says to him, "What're ya starin' at, ya pug-ugly bonehead?! Have ya never seen a leprechaun before?!?!
I just thought the expression was so hilarious, I never forgot it.

One day, about 7 years ago, a friend of mine was visiting, we were on my computer and was showing me how he met his fiancé on YahooChat and convinced me to sign up. I've used Puguglybonehead as my handle ever since for most things internet.

The avatar came from a C4D tutorial on how to model a Hot Dog Man (hey, I don't write these tutorials). One day I was posting a render on a forum, of what was supposed to be the surface of Triton (large moon of Neptune). The surface was a many-layered procedural that actually didn't look too believable, but somebody requested that I post the shader because they thought it looked like Sulley (from Monsters Inc.). I decided to test just how Sulley-like it could really be, so I added polygonal fur to the Hot Dog Man and then used the shader on the fur. But, I somehow inadvertantly subD'd all of the fur in the process (hence the nice fluffy look) and sat through a tedious 3 day render. Hmmm...maybe there is something to that handle of mine... :D

Stooch
10-16-2006, 02:51 PM
Stooch has no meaning. I dont even remember where i got the idea. Maybe it has to do with another word: toot. But the origin of that is even more mysterious.

I am left handed, my avatar is a carnivorous squirrel. It is an actual photo of it in its habitat, it preys on swallows.

Bog
10-16-2006, 03:22 PM
The avatar came from a C4D tutorial on how to model a Hot Dog Man

I know exactly what I'm gonna say next time someone recommends Cinema 4D to me now... ;)

kmaas
10-16-2006, 04:23 PM
K = first initial
Maas = my very, very often misspelled last name

Not very creative, but neither is my IRC nick (asdfghjkl). But, they're certainly easy to remember!

It's amazing how often Maas gets misspelled. Mass, Moss, Mars (the a's are pronounced like the a in blah). Sometimes you can spell it to people over the phone and they'll still repeat it back to you wrong.

On the handed-ness subject, I'm right-handed. My main job (and training) is in computer programming, although I also do animation projects for my job. My main hobby is programming too, so I'm on the computer all the time. Because of all that, I end up mousing left-handed sometimes because my right arm gets so sore. It's got to be nice to be ambidextrous, for those of you who are!

Colkai: I figured your name was from your avatar too! It just seemed to fit so well... :)

Bog: I always wondered how you got yours.

Threel: Great idea for a topic!

THREEL
10-16-2006, 08:44 PM
I am left handed, my avatar is a carnivorous squirrel. It is an actual photo of it in its habitat, it preys on swallows.

Here you cute little, furry little, rabid little rodent. ;D Here's a nice, tasty walnut for you. "CHOMP!!!" :eek: As you pull a bloody stump back from where your severed hand once was attached to your now stubby apendage.
:cry: :cry: :cry: Make sure you use your non-dominant hand, though, when attempting to feed a carnivorous squirrel. :D

K = first initial
Maas = my very, very often misspelled last name

Reminds me of Star Trek: The Movie. Remember, the crew of that famous vessel, wessel (a la Chekov) the Starship Enterprise was in search of V-Ger 1, I believe. It really ended up being Voyager 1. Sometimes I think people will mis-spell the word "a" if you give them half a chance. LOL!!!

Keep 'em coming fellow :lwicon:vers. This is fun!

THREEL (AL)

DiedonD
10-17-2006, 04:38 AM
Here you cute little, furry little, rabid little rodent. ;D Here's a nice, tasty walnut for you. "CHOMP!!!" :eek: As you pull a bloody stump back from where your severed hand once was attached to your now stubby apendage.
:cry: :cry: :cry: Make sure you use your non-dominant hand, though, when attempting to feed a carnivorous squirrel. :D

Reminds me of Star Trek: The Movie. Remember, the crew of that famous vessel, wessel (a la Chekov) the Starship Enterprise was in search of V-Ger 1, I believe. It really ended up being Voyager 1. Sometimes I think people will mis-spell the word "a" if you give them half a chance. LOL!!!

Keep 'em coming fellow :lwicon:vers. This is fun!

THREEL (AL)

If you really want to keep em coming Threel dont say that all that often. It kills spontainety in my opinion. I think that was one reason this thread almost fell deep in the abyss of threads, and got almost forgotten altogether.

Bog
10-17-2006, 04:42 AM
Bog: I always wondered how you got yours.

Page 1 of the thread, mate :)

THREEL
10-17-2006, 12:40 PM
If you really want to keep em coming Threel dont say that all that often. It kills spontainety in my opinion. I think that was one reason this thread almost fell deep in the abyss of threads, and got almost forgotten altogether.

Sorry, diedond. Just trying to be cheerful. :) It's been a long time since I've posted anything at all on this forum. It's just that I know there are a lot of people here that we have yet to hear from. I guess I believe everyone has an interesting story to tell. I'll do my best to keep your advice in mind.

Thanks!!!

kmaas
10-17-2006, 02:00 PM
Page 1 of the thread, mate :)

Yeah, I just thought that was a very interesting way to do it. :D

Aegis
10-17-2006, 06:08 PM
I explained my username but not my avatar (which was the 'Spectrum' logo from Captain Scarlet 'cause I worked on the show) - just switched back to my favourite avatar which is the 'Gentleman' from the Bitmap Brothers classic Amiga 'Gauntlet' knock-off The Chaos Engine :D

The artwork for The Chaos Engine (including the chap on the left lighting his pipe) was done by the shockingly talented Dan Malone who also worked on several other of the Bitmaps games including 'Speedball 2'.

Those of you who used to use a Commodore 64 may remember a game called 'The Sacred Armour of Antiriad' - Dan did the amazing visuals for that too in addition to illustrating the packaging and a comic book that came with it. Along with Jim 'Defender of the Crown' Sachs, Dan Malone was one of my biggest artistic inspirations back in the Amiga days :)

Dan Malone (http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,137537/)

Jim Sachs (http://www.fish-byte.com/AboutAuth.htm)

The Chaos Engine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chaos_Engine)