PDA

View Full Version : SLI will help modeling speed?

Riza
09-07-2006, 07:59 AM
Hi,

I just wondering if SLI or CrossFire setup will help speed the modeling process?
Anyone has experience on this? I want to upgrade my vga card and looking for the best performance and value..
Thanks!

habaņero
09-07-2006, 08:53 AM
SLI almost never is a good value, its more energy- and money-efficient to rather just buy a larger card.

Nvidia tends to work better with LW than Ati, historically.

Currently, modeler speed depends more on processor speed than graphic card although that might change in not too distant a future.

I'd pick a 7600GT myself, one of the silent ones, for LW for a machine below four processor cores although it could make sense to tilt the budget more towards graphic card if you will be doing a lot of large poly scenes. 2 c

iconoclasty
09-07-2006, 08:56 AM
SLI is only a benifit to full screen applications (games). It doesn't help normal applications in the slightest from what I understand.

Riza
09-07-2006, 09:29 PM
Thanks a lot guys...will going to single gpu route then, maybe 7600gs overclocked...:jam:
what about dual core? i believe it's best for rendering since we can multi thread, but what about in modeling and animating process?
which is better for modeling and animating, dual core or single core?

Sensei
09-07-2006, 10:18 PM
Neither modeling nor animating uses of dual-core directly at the moment. But in the future they might, especially after introduction of multi-threading functions in LW9 SDK making multi-tasking and multi-platform tools easier to made for 3rd party developers..

TrueArt will definitely make dual-core enhancement to EasySpline previewer (Modeler plug-in) when LW9 will be more popular in one of future releases. I do have dual-core machines and will use additional double speed up on my own..

Rich
09-08-2006, 12:18 AM
It would be great if somehow calculations for dynamics could be sped up with the use of a dual-core processor.

iainbyoung
09-08-2006, 04:45 AM
I've got a sli setup in my machine, (I've got 2x 512mb nvidia 7800 cards running in there).

It makes a huge difference in games, but to be honest I've not noticed any major difference in lightwave layout or modeler when turning the sli off. Basically the modeler display usually doesn't display enough polygons to tax a single 7800 card, so adding a second into the mix isn't going to have any effect.

Riza
09-08-2006, 08:51 AM
Neither modeling nor animating uses of dual-core directly at the moment. But in the future they might, especially after introduction of multi-threading functions in LW9 SDK making multi-tasking and multi-platform tools easier to made for 3rd party developers..

TrueArt will definitely make dual-core enhancement to EasySpline previewer (Modeler plug-in) when LW9 will be more popular in one of future releases. I do have dual-core machines and will use additional double speed up on my own..

wow cool!
maybe investing in dual core machine will be much better on the long run...
Thanks for sharing!

Riza
09-08-2006, 08:57 AM
thanks for sharing iainbyoung and rich...
yeah, hopefully lightwave will take advantage of dual core soon....
thanks a lot guys!

Sensei
09-08-2006, 08:59 AM
maybe investing in dual core machine will be much better on the long run...

Personally I will never again buy single core, as soon as quad core will be available I will be the first in the shop.. ;) For CPU manufacturers they're much easier to made than adding another GHz to the clock..

ShawnStovall
09-08-2006, 09:50 PM
I don't know about that... I would vouch for a 4 GH chip...

Riza
09-11-2006, 09:11 AM
Personally I will never again buy single core, as soon as quad core will be available I will be the first in the shop.. ;) For CPU manufacturers they're much easier to made than adding another GHz to the clock..

Hey Sensei, I just read at tomshardware that intel will launch its QUADcore cpu on next october...
drooling already? :D
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/09/10/four_cores_on_the_rampage/

tonybliss
09-11-2006, 09:29 AM
I do think SLI may aid in the use of memory efficient multi display situations for video editing and post comp apps.

iainbyoung
09-12-2006, 03:15 AM
Not really. When SLI is enabled, you effectively only have one display, (it turns off the output on the second card).

Basically what it does is one card renders one half of the screen, and the other card renders the other. This means that in theory it can display twice the number of polygons as a single card solution (and although it doesn't quite achieve that, it's close). So basically, SLI is a great solution for gaming purposes, but it's not really designed for pro video editing type stuff...

tonybliss
09-12-2006, 04:34 AM
Oh ... that sets it straight!! thanks!

iainbyoung
09-12-2006, 04:52 AM
No Problem :)