PDA

View Full Version : Where is the "old" (LW 7.5) surface selection method in Layout?

laci
09-07-2006, 03:57 AM
Hello Wavers!

Now in LW 9 or LW 8.
When you are select surface options for the selected objects, you will see, you are in the surface properties of the first object, not the surface of the selected object !!!

A few years ago there was a smart function in LW 7.5 or 7.0. I don't rember which one.
Layout: an object selected, go to surface editor, you see that you are in the surface properties of the selected object !!! - not the first objects !!!

Laci

KillMe
09-07-2006, 04:09 AM
yeah dont know why they messed this up as something if i have more than one version of the same mesh open as i occasioanlly do or two meshes with the same surface names and i find myself having edited the wrong one because of this - annoying and stupid - newtek hopefully will fix soon

lede
09-07-2006, 08:55 AM
And I thought it was just me doing something wrong in LW :D

Yeah it would be nice when you have an object selected that the surface editor opens with that object expanded. I wonder if this should be posted in the bugs section or the feature section.

-Lee

Scazzino
09-07-2006, 09:13 AM
Hello Wavers!

Now in LW 9 or LW 8.
When you are select surface options for the selected objects, you will see, you are in the surface properties of the first object, not the surface of the selected object !!!

It's even worse than that actually... open the surface you want to work on in the surface editor, edit it and then save the object... bam, now the surface you were working on closes and the first object's surface opens again... be careful about this, since you can easily bash the first object's surface if you don't notice the change...

:(

Hopefully this can be fixed during the 9x cycle! :goodluck:

goakes
09-07-2006, 08:46 PM
Hello All.

I find this to be a big problem for me as well. The
first thing I did when I got LW was load up the
Sponza object. I thought this would be a nice
obj to learn the render system with. To my surprise I found that all of the surface names
were in a language other than mine. I spent a
great deal of time pushing the luminus bar up
and down and watching the mesh just to get an
idea what name went with which polys! I moved from an app that allowed you to select any poly
in a scene, and as Scazzino said "bam" the
surface editor jumped to that suface ready to edit.
I must say I was in shock to find out that my new LW not only could not perform this trick, but that
I could find no easy way to ID which surface
belonged to which mesh. I try to name parts
in detail, as this helps, but if I am working with
somthing that I modeled some time in the past
I still have trouble..(can't remember my own surface names) sooooo up and down I go with
the LUM value.

mdoyle
09-08-2006, 02:58 AM
YEah I found this annoying as well, but maybe there is a reason for it, who knows. More than likely I will get used to it being that way then it will get changed back! :D

lede
09-08-2006, 08:36 AM
Hello All.

I find this to be a big problem for me as well. The
first thing I did when I got LW was load up the
Sponza object. I thought this would be a nice
obj to learn the render system with. To my surprise I found that all of the surface names

Sounds like your having a different problem here that has a solution for you already :D Turn on viper and then render your scene. Once you have rendered the scene viper will be able to render out your object and then you can select surface by clicking on them in the viper window.

Another trick that I have found to be very useful is to change the color of the object to a bright red or if your using red to another contrasting color. But what you are doing is still effective just a different technique.

Anyways hope this helps you with your problem.

-Lee