PDA

View Full Version : Help with placing many objects on ground

Anti-Distinctly
09-06-2006, 08:48 AM
Hi all.
I have a scene and I wish to place many leaves on a subdivided ground object. The scene also contains kerbs and I want these leaves to collect in appropriate places. I do not want them to intersect heavily with each other, the ground, or the pavement/kerb objects.
I've tried using a particle emitter, ground as a collision object set to sticky, then using FX_Linker to reaplce the points with the leaf object. This is not satisfactory so far due to:

1.The particles are directly on the ground mesh, so the leaves intersect. I could put an offset on the collision, but then the leaves will look like they're hovering.

2. I dont know how to get the objects to gravitate towards the kerbs and other occluded (for lack of a better word) areas. Particularly, long, thin bending ones like the edge of a kerb.

3. FX_Linker does not allow me to replace the points with multiple objects, as I have a variety of leaves.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

stevecullum
09-06-2006, 01:08 PM
Could you use clothFX to drop them?

You could use one subdivided plane, then meta link your leaves object maybe...

Anti-Distinctly
09-06-2006, 02:45 PM
Tried doing that but Lightwave died when I tried to calculate teh clothFX. Furthermore, that will not group them together in places like grooves and the kerb edges. :( I appriciate the suggestion though.

I tried taking the ground object and the kerb & wall objects, froze them, killed polys then deleted many of the points until I had a distribution I liked. I tried to use FX_Linker only to then find out it only works with particle emitters. Grrr.

Dodgy
09-06-2006, 03:13 PM
Couldn't you use point clone (or clonez2, a free plugin, which is what I'd use) to then produce the leaves?

Another suggestion is along the clothFX route. Create a 2x2 quad plane, copy it many times and then apply clothfx to that. That should give a more realistic folding of the leaves and gather up as you want. You could do it in patches of a couple of dozen to keep the calculation times down and then save the motions and use metalink to make the leaves follow the shapes. Finally, select the leaves and Save EndoMorph/transformed to leave you with a shaped leaf group.

Anti-Distinctly
09-06-2006, 03:30 PM
Oh, I should probably mention that the leaves are not in detail here. The shot is not close up to any of them, I just needed several hundred to be in the correct place in the scene as the shot is quite wide and the leave are a touch of detail I wish to add.
Not sure if that was apparant before (I dont think it was hence the post :))

EDIT: Ah, I've just clicked as to what your saying - have all the leaves on a flat plane in modeller, clothFX subd plane-> metalink. I'll give it a whirl.
Thanks guys.

stevecullum
09-06-2006, 04:10 PM
Dodgy's idea sound the best or lots of smalller cloth objects with your leaves cliped mapped to them. Then you can do the dynamics in batches to help calc times. Then use MD plug or MDD node to apply the effect.

EDIT: yeah my original idea should work if its a long shot. But thats exactly what I was thinking

Bog
09-06-2006, 04:43 PM
The brain is a bit tired, but I'm preeety sure you can use weight-maps on your geometry to drive PointClonePlus or similar to drop vertices in a proper scatter in the right locations, then use Powergons to replace said verts with your basic leaf texture.

But like I say, it's been a long day.

Anti-Distinctly
09-06-2006, 06:11 PM
I grabbed a copy of clonez2, which worked very well, thanks for that Dodgy.

I saved out a displaced version of the ground, then got my point layer (where I wanted the leaves to be on the x-z plane), moved them up, extender to make 2 point polys. Then used Solid Drill (I think) to cut to 2 point polys at the point where they intersect the displaced ground. Killed the polys, deleted the points I no longer needed, then used clonez2.

Cool beans, thanks gents. I'll also look into that Bog as it sounds interesting. Need to get up to speed on the plugin front. To quote that guy from Return of the Jedi: 'Theres...too many of them!'.
Must sleep.

Bog
09-07-2006, 11:22 AM
Sleep? sleep... Oh, I remember that. Sorta. ;)