PDA

View Full Version : "Pool of water" seen by Fprime, but not in LW render

Bill K
09-06-2006, 08:39 AM
Can anyone please tell me how this was done? - In LW 8's classic content there is a scene in the "vehicles" folder named "car crash.lws" Looking at just the street intersection only using Fprime, it looks like there is a "black shadow" area. This same area appears to reflect the "blue gradient" environment applied to the finished scene, and appears like a pool of water using Fprime. When I preview the same frame using image viewer/F9, I do not see the pool of "water". I can not find any "surface" area in the intersection to figure out how this was done.

I would really appreciate anyone sharing how this scene was put together and why the "water" appears only with Fprime. This happens using LW 8 & LW 9; I trashed my configs (PC) and rescanned plugins because this seemed so odd - only to get the same result: seeing the "water" with Fprime but not with LW's image viewer.

I noted other posts about "skid marks" and "water"; seems like the "simple" things wind up being the ones that get you.

Thanks for any thoughts/input.

Bill K

colkai
09-06-2006, 09:19 AM
FPrime does not like N-Gons or non-planars it can't "interpret".
I've had a couple of renders where I've had to slice an N-gon so FPrime can handle it properly.
It could also be if two polys are almost on top of each other, it may have trouble figuring out which is really the "top" one.
If I get chance tonight, I'll have a quick look at the scene in question for ya. :)

colkai
09-06-2006, 01:34 PM
Ahh yes, as I suspected.
It's all down to the geometry, it isn't very 'friendly' as it is large N-Gons and the objects are not very clean as I noticed the road markings don't seem to be part and parcel of the underlying road surface. Tripling the intersection got rid of the "pool" there but it then just showed up elsewhere as FPrime tried to make sense of it all.
For this to come out cleanly in FPrime, I think some 'correcting' of the sections would need to be done.

Copy the Objects/Urban/City objects someplace (or zip up the originals). Pull each part into modeller and triple them, save the objects, then reload the scene and you'll find it all looks ok. Like I say though, to do it "properly", i'd be more inclined to do some judicious re-building of polys.

Bill K
09-06-2006, 02:08 PM
Thanks Colkai. I will try your suggestions. I did examine the scene's individual objects in Modeler, and could not figure out what was going on - especially with the intersection. After looking through some posts about how to create skid marks & water, I thought this was a unique way to reflect the "sky" onto the road surface to resemble water. Up close, the "puddles" are pretty much staight edged; from a distance (and camera view) they look like "puddles".

Bill K

Bill K
09-06-2006, 03:21 PM
Colkai - I used the Triple command in LW9 Modeler on the intersection polys & the "water" was gone in the scene's Fprime render - thanks!

Bill K

colkai
09-07-2006, 03:42 AM
No probs, it isn't an ideal solution as I say, if it were my own gemeotry, I'd just take more care creating it. But as it is content, you don't normally want to spend the time, so triple is a fast way to correct these abberastions. :)