PDA

View Full Version : Community lost

meatycheesyboy
09-05-2006, 11:36 AM
In the strictest sense of the word we still have a community since we are all Lightwave users but in the sense that we are cordial to one another and help each other, I feel like community has been lost.

Not long ago, LW users were widely seen as one of the most helpful group of software users in the greater 3D community. But now, it seems we've turned into a group that does nothing but bicker due to our insecurities that LW is no longer in the place it used to be compared to the competition.

Add to that the random political and religious arguing that we have to endure and this board has become downright inhospitable.

Yeah, I know the responses, "if you don't like it, don't post" and yadda yadda yadda but I want to be a contributing member of this community and would not have to resort to not posting. And no, I don't think that the absense of my posts would be a great loss but I think that the overall deterioration of the community would be.

Thoughts?

T-Light
09-05-2006, 11:42 AM
Having a bad day there meatycheesyboy :)

Lightwolf
09-05-2006, 11:59 AM
I dunno... I've seen worse rants in the past few years, both concerning the future of LW as well as politics (anybody remember the huge thread when the Iraq war started?). I don't mind those if they stay in the proper section, heck, sometimes I even like to participate heavily (you can't talk CG _all_ the time, even with your CG buddies ;) )

It might be that people are more short fused than they used to be, I could be completely wrong though.

As for the insecurities... those have been there for ages. The only difference nowadays seems to be the stiffer competition (special interest tools, like modelers, painting apps etc.), as well as the dropped pricing on a lot of the higher end packages.

Cheers,
Mike

hrgiger
09-05-2006, 12:09 PM
My thoughts are if someone wants to post an off-topic thread such as the crocodile hunter dying here in the community section, one should expect open dialogue about him and the things that he was about (conservation, the environment, etc...) and as a few world wars have shown, people just don't get along all the time and some conflict is to be expected. I'm guilty of it. You can bet that if I don't agree with someone, I'm probably going to be tempted to say something. I try not to start OT threads and if I do, it goes into the general section where a little more OT talk is tolerated.

This discussion board is supposed to be about discussing things Lightwave and 3D related. If people managed to stick to Lightwave related topics and didn't spur so much OT discussion, not to mention speculative and baited discussion (i.e. Lightwave is falling behind, Lightwave vs. App this and that, wah wah wah) perhaps people would be a little more agreeable.

cresshead
09-05-2006, 12:17 PM
i think it wopuld be a good idea that the forum changed to using the real names of the posters rathe than the syudonms [spell??] we have here and on many forums...for example the 3dsmax weboard [old one not the new area] i found to be quite cordial...we had ''discussions'' for sure but not the level of
abuse some people stoop down to here on a regualr basis...sme people just post weird arguments just to get the posters ''back up'' rather than havingf a civil cnversation..i could name names but we don't use them here...just made up catch phrases than people hide behind.

thant's my thoughs anyhow for what it's worth...feel free to rant at me!

i'd also hazzard a good guess that some of the posters that seem to undermine lightwave position are actually employees of newtek's competitors and are proporgating a undermining or smear tactic...like they say if you throw enough mud...some will stick...

meatycheesyboy
09-05-2006, 12:25 PM
Having a bad day there meatycheesyboy :)

No, not at all but thanks for your concern T-Light.

I, for the most part have never been a fan of OT posting in forums and generally do not visit the areas of forums where those discussions take place. While I don't mind their inclusion, I wish they were more seperated from the LW talk. Right above this forum in the main menu is one called general discussion while this one is called LW - Community, it seems to me that OT posts should go into the general discussion while this forum should be LW related community topics only.

shrox
09-05-2006, 12:46 PM
Lightwave, 3D Max and Maya are much better than Deluxe Paint Animation...be happy about that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deluxe_Paint_Animation

T-Light
09-05-2006, 12:50 PM
Lightwolf -

It might be that people are more short fused than they used to be, I could be completely wrong though.
I think I'm more shortfused than I used to be, don't think I rant too much on the forums though, there's been times I'd of liked too of course, I've just held back. :)

Oh no wait, I had a rant about British TV and HM gov just the other week. :D That could easily have grown into the state of the environment, politics, religion and the erosion of rights and freedom. But it didn't, I caught myself just in time. (sort of)

By the way, did anyone hear the one about the UK's Christian minister who took 50,000 signatures from the same people who brought you 'Ban Jerry Springer the Opera', made it into a bill and in one swift 'forget about the 50 years of research and facts' vote, abolished 100% freedom for SIXTY MILLION UK citizens to view the internet. That happened just last week. That kind of attrocious behaviour goes way beyond making my blood boil.

Soooo....
I don't know if it's us with a shorter fuse, or the 'powers that be' making more outragious decisions on fewer facts and expecting us all to swallow it and stay quiet.

T-Light
09-05-2006, 12:53 PM
meatycheesyboy -

it seems to me that OT posts should go into the general discussion while this forum should be LW related community topics only.
Your logic's impeccable of course, I suppose this particular forum is busier than the rest and attracts a wider user base, when something kicks off it can get unruly pretty darn quickly. Nature of the beast :)

prospector
09-05-2006, 01:02 PM
In the strictest sense of the word we still have a community since we are all Lightwave users but in the sense that we are cordial to one another and help each other, I feel like community has been lost.

Lost ?
LOST ???
LOST ???

Boy, it's threads like this that just churn my stom.....

Just kidding :D :D :devil:

questions everywhere seem to get answered rather quickly and by multiple working ways and designs if there are any.

even if it is only RTFM :) that one gets me sometimes as the manual isn't always that helpful.

As for OT threads, I like to get in on them and even started one ( Jokes, the lighter side of life), some get rather contensious, and some (like jokes) we keep clean and try to stay as a G rating.
And are not forced on anyone.

But the LW vs threads ( other than LW vs Notepad or LW vs Dodge trucks, which were funny by thier very nature), are inserted in all kinds of threads even when someone is only asking a question about LW, and those bother me to no end.

So we try to help all who come here (as I've done once or twice) like the LW family we are, and we rag on those who hate LW because it doesn't have the latest greatest thing or have buttons like other unmentioned software, like the LW family we are (when talking to the black sheep of the family), but all in all, it's nice here on the boards.

well 'cept that cat pic, who looks like it's always looking for it's next meal.....and seems to be looking rather fondly at me

Wonderpup
09-05-2006, 01:31 PM
To me the community is not so much fragmenting as fading away- a lot of the energy seems to have gone out of it in recent times.

I think the beta program did have an effect here in subtle ways, a lot of the early excitement about 9 was limited to the beta participants, and even for them the long drawn out release meant that by the time it went public the buzz was muted.

I'm not saying the beta was a bad move, but it does have the downside that the novelty factor that communities lke this feed on was diluted. We kind of ran out of things to talk about. At least untill the next beta release:D

Bytehawk
09-05-2006, 01:33 PM
I think we need a new beta to breathe some life in the shop :)

Digital Hermit
09-05-2006, 01:34 PM
There is saying... (and I am really paraphrasing) "You can't have the cow without the arse" or something like that...

To me, this community has become more like a family dynamic... Most of us know, or know of, each other and we are a little less cordial and more to the point... giving our candid opinion, whether some want it or not. :D I mean even in business, long time relationships become less professional and more casual.

(But that is not an excuse for socially unacceptable behavior.)

I mean if family was cordial it probably go like this... "Brother dear would please pass the salt." Biff, reaches for the salt, "Why of course my wonderful sister, it would be a pleasure!" Buffy, about to return the salt, almost forgets! "Oh, Mummy, Daddy, would you care for some salt also?"...

Not in my universe... (heh)

Regards,

Digital Hermit

Speedmonk42
09-06-2006, 02:11 PM
Offtopic posts and a reasonable amount of leeway to worldly things is what makes boards a community.

Overly moderated boards are sterile and dead.

Well moderated boards allow users of a common interest to still connect on other things.

Bog
09-06-2006, 04:04 PM
Heck, even back with the old LWML, there was a fair amount of OT jabber, and of course the unavoidable goofball post because we are, after all, animators - which does tend to have a mind-stressing blend of high-brow intense concentration with perforce maintainance of a childlike nature to keep the fun alive.

What I am seeing more of is rudeness, lack of consideration for others, and Keyboard Cowardice leading to people behaving in ways they'd never dare in person. And nothing will do more damage to a community than such behaviour going unreprimanded.

Heck, we all tear off on one sometimes, but when being down and out nasty is a matter of course, rather than an obvious sign of someone getting strung out and needing a day off, that makes the word "community" a mockery. If we're not actually there for each other, then it's not a community - it's just another Internet messageboard full of line noise.

There's still a lot of very decent folk here, who'll always take the time to answer a question, or try their hand at a problem, or even just to chivvy a new artist along in their explorations. But for this to remain a community, it has to be about people bringing their good to the party, not just their toxic waste and their attitudes. God knows I'm not perfect, and I'm conscious that I might well be speaking out of turn, but that's what it looks like to me.

The community's not lost. We've still got some the smartest, biggest-hearted guys in the industry in this incredible place. I notice that a certain Mr. Baker's already made a clear-throated comment about acceptable standards 'round here this very day - and good on him for doing so. Heck, if I'm out of line I expect a good sharp kick in my parallel port.

Anyway, I think that's my two cents and some change, for that matter.

lede
09-06-2006, 05:10 PM
From the small amount of time I have been with the community it seems everything comes in waves. Just wait for the next one and surf it in to shore :D

The flip side of the coin, LWers have many choice now a days to hang their hat and call home besides here. I can tell ytou though when I hit a brick wall the first place I stop is here and wait for some mind blowing answers that seems so obvoiuse that I walk away feeling dumber.

Some times we just need to do a self moderation to keep our perspective. Jopin threads we are really interested in and skip the rest.

Just a few loose cents of mine rolling around

-Lee

Wickster
09-06-2006, 05:33 PM
Here's my 2cents about it.

I think its that time of the year again when NT is quiet and us users don't have much to talk about between renders. So here we are. :)

Just a thought.

badllarma
09-06-2006, 06:33 PM
I think the Beta killed it a bit for me, I see in this thread some guys who I know there names from many years.

But after all the time on these forums when 9 came out I'd had enough. I've spent time taking my business in other directions over the past few months as well that has taken alot of my time up.

I'm back into the 3D work next week as well as finishing some web jobs off but after several months on the Beta forum I need a good break...... which I've now had. :)

GandB
09-06-2006, 06:49 PM
I'm still relatively new here; however, after frequenting many forums and moderating some, I have to say that this community is what really drew me into LightWave. The sheer determination of many of the members here to make sure someone's problem is fixed, is astounding. I saw a thread awhile back where a member was about ready to give up on Lightwave altogether (due to some technical problems); many many pages later his problem was solved. Most forums I know would have given up on the member a long time ago. That's what I'd call a strong community. I'm glad to be here.

-Keith

UnCommonGrafx
09-06-2006, 07:07 PM
And Keith,
We are glad you are here!

theo
09-06-2006, 08:54 PM
This is just an organic social blob made up of personality particles.

Somedays the dang thing just twitches with repulsion and some days the dang thing is like honey on the rock oozing with attraction.

Just another blob of social matter shape-shifting into who knows what.

Dispositional readings of the blob are discouraged since the blob can and will de-blob bad blobs. Blabbing about the blob is also dissuaded since this may be determined to warrant blobbering the offending blob particle quite viciously about the head and temples causing extreme discomblobulation.

colkai
09-07-2006, 03:56 AM
What I am seeing more of is rudeness, lack of consideration for others, and Keyboard Cowardice leading to people behaving in ways they'd never dare in person. And nothing will do more damage to a community than such behaviour going unreprimanded.

Amen to that.
The level of poor behaviour is the thing that depresses me these days, not just people being inflamatory for the heck of it, but side-swipes etc... I get enough of that in the day job.
Was a time, it was very rare here, alas, no more.

I, like Bog, was brought to carry myself with a certain level of cilvility, now, over the years, yup, I've become a grumpy old feck, but even so, I still use that inner-switch to handle my behaviour.
Seems lately, a lot of folks have stopped using theirs.

That all said, the LW community, by and large, is still a good one, indeed a great one. People still go out of their way to assist if they can and the banter on threads like "the 14th" was, well, probably the most fun that's happened here in a long time.

The wheel turns, one can but hope that things improve once more.

starbase1
09-07-2006, 05:21 AM
It's been a long while, (pre internet) since I owned and ran an online forum, but it does seem that little has really changed.

Over moderation is definitely bad - in my view the correct way to deal with OT posts is to move them all to a lounge / anything goes area. That way it does not get in the way of the graphics, and everyone can still post if they want. I do think it's a shame that the community chunk (right here) is mutating into a second lounge.

I was very surprised that the mods did not kill off the Israel thread VERY fast, clearly contentious, clearly inappropriate, and started by a one off visitor.

What I am missing more - it does seem that there is less and less following WIPS through on these boards. And very few joint / collaborative explorations. I learnt a LOT from some of these, such as the wonderful 'Lets build a nebula' one.

I am a lot more concerned about the recent tendency for intolerant opinions on graphics threads, in which one particular member always seems to figure.

Nick

starbase1
09-07-2006, 05:22 AM
I also think that the V9 threads should be merged in now it's generally available.

meatycheesyboy
09-07-2006, 09:01 AM
The general concensous seems to be that I was perhaps a little over zealous in my assertation. Fair enough, but I do believe and agree with the following quotes that were given:

Over moderation is definitely bad - in my view the correct way to deal with OT posts is to move them all to a lounge / anything goes area. That way it does not get in the way of the graphics, and everyone can still post if they want. I do think it's a shame that the community chunk (right here) is mutating into a second lounge.

I think adressing and taking action on the two quotes above would go a long way towards alleviating my anxiety.

I also agree that there seems to be very few WIPs (including from me). I think part of my problem is that the zeal for using LW seems to have diminished while the zeal for talking LW politics seems to have increased.

Chuck
09-07-2006, 10:20 AM
I was very surprised that the mods did not kill off the Israel thread VERY fast, clearly contentious, clearly inappropriate, and started by a one off visitor...

...on what was in the US a holiday weekend, when the US-based staff was not checking in as often as they otherwise might on a weekend; otherwise yup, it would have lived a shorter life. Apologies, but that does happen sometimes! :)

colkai
09-07-2006, 11:25 AM
Holiday? HOLIDAY? what's that all about then? ;) :p

T-Light
09-07-2006, 11:47 AM
Colkai -

Holiday? HOLIDAY? what's that all about then?
It's something held sacred by all countries to make merry on multiple days of the year.

That is, all countries but ours :bangwall:

hrgiger
09-07-2006, 11:52 AM
In honor of this thread, I promise to be respectful and helpful (when applicable) to everyone until at least after my 5000th post. Even to oDDity. If someone fires at me, I will not respond.
Who else will promise the same until their 5000th post?:cool:

theo
09-07-2006, 12:04 PM
In honor of this thread, I promise to be respectful and helpful (when applicable) to everyone until at least after my 5000th post. Even to oDDity. If someone fires at me, I will not respond.
Who else will promise the same until their 5000th post?:cool:

I think it is fair to surmise that you, my friend, are a forum geek. :D

starbase1
09-07-2006, 12:17 PM
...on what was in the US a holiday weekend, when the US-based staff was not checking in as often as they otherwise might on a weekend; otherwise yup, it would have lived a shorter life. Apologies, but that does happen sometimes! :)

Fair enough, thanks for explaining Chuck.
Nick

DragonFist
09-07-2006, 05:39 PM
I would like to point out here that I do not believe that the "Community" is lost at all. Yes, there have been a few that have taken to rude and demeaning forms of communications, but I think that if you were to count up all the active users and the number of... er... well... idiots (for lack of a better term at this time) you would find that the ratio of idiots to users is rather small. In terms of percentages, it is likely below 5%.

I have made many posts where I have asked for help and in each case, I have gotten that help. 1 or 2 people posted rude and useless posts. Another 5-10 posted helpful and informative data.

Unfortunately, the rude and useless type poster tends to be more vocal than the polite and helpful poster so we get a false impression of the opinion of the community.

I have found the community as a whole to be very helpful. As of this time, I know of only one member who regularly posts rude and inflamatory posts.

Bog
09-07-2006, 05:55 PM
Absolutely, Shawn. There are, as far as I can tell, currently two really disruptive forum users right now. Sadly, as you say, they seem to find their way into every particularly pertinant thread. It's sad, and frustrating - but we'll survive. Somehow. Oooh, man. Two trolls, though... how will we cope? Terrifying ;)

T-Light
09-07-2006, 06:13 PM
DragonFist -

I know of only one member who regularly posts rude and inflamatory posts.
Now then, is that Giger??? Because honestly, what a nasty peice of work, he does nothing but moan, all gothic this and gothic that, honestly, he SAYS he'll only do 'NICE' stuff untill his 5000th post but what he says and what he means are two entirely different things, as He's on post 4997 it hardly makes any difference, He'll probably post 'dark poo poo' for the next three, then He's home free :D :D :D

(this is a windup for any one who thinks otherwise :) )

ps DragonFist - Mr O aint all bad, that whole 'cat' thread I think was a massive missunderstanding on all parts, your cat was a work of technical achievement, problem is everyone seeing the thread would have to know 9's displacements to know that, O didn't, got distracted and went off on a tangent.

Forgive and forget :)

T-Light
09-07-2006, 06:41 PM
Nother note to Dragon Fist -

The original argument sparked after oddity said the animation needed curves, (good comment) He was right, then Cresshead made a comment on the fur, (good comment), He was also right, then the argument broke out about what was good, who could understand etc, it was all Bull of course, the only things of interest where 'O's animation tips and Cress's fur talk, everything else was nonesence.

Wouldn't have wanted to be in your shoes there old chap, but take no notice, Cress was right, your fur was incredible, A few months ago I was watching your work and seeing where you went. I still want to know where you're going to go with this.

Don't be distracted, just 'GO FOR IT' old man :) :) :) the decent ones amongst us will allways be there and back you all the way :)

Bog
09-07-2006, 06:43 PM
Let the artist speak with his art. Enough said.

DF, don't let any [email protected] sway you from your road. Even if it's a supremely qualified artist, like the one mentioned in my .sig....

T-Light
09-07-2006, 06:46 PM
me -

everything else was nonesence.
That is, everything that didn't provide constructive input, sorry everyone, was a bit off base there :)

T-Light
09-07-2006, 06:53 PM
There's something wrong with these forums. I can write, post be happy,write again, post be happy, then there's post's by Mr Bog inbetween everything I write, how can this be????

I shall write to the God of Forums, I shall lay my complaint before the arms of the beholders, then, maybe, MAYBEE, perhaps, we shall see jusice.

Ha Ha HA AH haaaaa
Mwahaaa MWAHHHHH
Or they'll put question time back on Beeb One and I'll have something else to shout at on a Thursday evening :D

Give Love and be Merry :)

T-Light
09-07-2006, 07:10 PM
Oops ! Bout to say something I shouldn't.

I really fancy an edit free zone here but don't know where it would take us :)

T-Light
09-07-2006, 07:16 PM
Bog -

DF, don't let any [email protected] sway you from your road. Even if it's a supremely qualified artist, like the one mentioned in my .sig....
Eeeeee, what are you like?

bryphi7
09-07-2006, 07:44 PM
Bog you are a jerk off with no life... I am sure of that!!!
when did you become king of NT forum?
Thats right everyone... nobody can have an opinion but Bog, and he is always right. So we might as well all stop posting!!!
Bog can you point me to some posts were you took time to help someone? The way it looks to me is... you are one of those people that you speak about!:beerchug:

T-Light
09-07-2006, 07:57 PM
Bog's there when he can be..., He's allways there when He can be...

What the h*ll happened to make you two unfriendly???

bryphi7
09-07-2006, 08:08 PM
It has been an on going thing for a while now, it fades away until I say something else that he doesn't approve of... This time it started over this comment...

When I hear you guys say stuff like that... It makes me real happy that I started learning other software.
It is a shame, lets hope that NT can turn it around for us...
On another note... I have never mentioned Bog in any of my posts until I have been attacked by him first, so... he is the troll that he speaks of

DragonFist
09-07-2006, 08:15 PM
Nother note to Dragon Fist -

The original argument sparked after oddity said the animation needed curves, (good comment) He was right, then Cresshead made a comment on the fur, (good comment), He was also right, then the argument broke out about what was good, who could understand etc, it was all Bull of course, the only things of interest where 'O's animation tips and Cress's fur talk, everything else was nonesence.

Wouldn't have wanted to be in your shoes there old chap, but take no notice, Cress was right, your fur was incredible, A few months ago I was watching your work and seeing where you went. I still want to know where you're going to go with this.

Don't be distracted, just 'GO FOR IT' old man :) :) :) the decent ones amongst us will allways be there and back you all the way :)

Aye, I agree. I had no problems with actual crits that were helpful towards my improvement. I did have a big problem with comments like being the lowest sort of artist and analogies to being a fool, etc. Not even because of the personal insult, but because I dislike people who treat others as dirt in general. My being the target wasn't a big deal to me, but I had previously observed him treat 3 others with the same attitude and didn't feel like keeping my trap shut about it.

As for moving forward, I have been. Mostly testing various different methods to rigging and animation. So far, my favorite being the Maestro. Both Messiah and Motion Builder have issues with getting the animation back to lightwave. Especially, with MB I found fixing up the rotated bones that FBX does was more work than was saved using it. Meastro has some issues too but it is within Lightwave and once I have animated, I am done. Controls are nice, etc. Anyhow, I don't let others stop me. Really, they have no power to. I just won't stand by and let someone treat my fellows like lower class beings and say nothing about it.

T-Light
09-07-2006, 08:37 PM
Understood.

But more Moggy anims please :), the cat's in this houseold are waitin for a final :)

T-Light
09-07-2006, 08:54 PM
bryphi7 -

On another note... I have never mentioned Bog in any of my posts until I have been attacked by him first, so... he is the troll that he speaks of
Bog -

WARNING! bryphi7 is not impressed by any of my work. Please bear this in mind when reading my posts.

I'd hazard a guess there's a whole world of missundersdanding going on here :)

Guys, you're the best of the best, shake hands or we're all f*c*ed.

UnCommonGrafx
09-07-2006, 09:03 PM
Bog,
Going to buy some Sambuca tomorrow. Don't bother commenting, please. We can come here and do an international timed cheers.
The rest of you can join us with your own libations and we can drink to the end of mis-understandings and the obsessions to keep them going.

T-Light
09-07-2006, 09:19 PM
Sorry mate, if this is turning into an anti 'Bog' thing then I'm not part of it.

EDIT -[What on Earth's going on here?]

UnCommonGrafx
09-07-2006, 09:38 PM
Not for you, Brent; no ad hominems in your posts that I see. You've even managed an explanation. Kudos.

Regardless, join us for a toast on Friday.

Bog
09-08-2006, 05:03 AM
Without wishing to continue to fuel an utterly pointless fire, it was this comment , in response to me saying that I and many others were making a comfortable living with LW, which spurred me to append that line to my sig:

Like I said before... That is great that you make a living using LW, whipty doo!!! I am not impressed with any of your work!!!!!!!!!!!! So if someone wants to pay you for second rate work... that is their problem, but don't think that you have some extraordinary talent! I do flash for a living, not 3D, but I am working on my reel as much as possible, and when it is done I will gladly put it up against yours!

So I got the hump with someone being downright rude. Apologies for detracting from the ambient good of the place, but that was a very unnecessary comment, I believe.

Anyway. I shall be in the Shakespear's Head from about 1800GMT, so I shall be sure to toast you lot then, and knuckle down to yet another solid weekend's work while the other half makes Pointed Comments about never seeing me... ;)

colkai
09-08-2006, 05:34 AM
The missus has decided we will partake of the local Toby Carvery tonight after enjoying one with our friends down in Cannock last weekend.
So I shall raise a silent toast to my good friends whilst there.

and knuckle down to yet another solid weekend's work while the other half makes Pointed Comments about never seeing me...
You and me both old bean, you and me both. :p
Mind you, that said, SWMBO is doing a craft fair at Southport Floral Hall on sunday so I shall have some respite. That said, with MotoGP AND World Superbikes on that day, chances of me doing anything with the old PC are pretty remote. ;)

DogBoy
09-08-2006, 05:45 AM
That makes 3 of us. I've got a **** of a lot of catching up to to do on my projects. I'll make up for it by being in the Shakespeares around 5:30

StereoMike
09-08-2006, 06:27 AM
Can't understand why people post things like "So if someone wants to pay you for second rate work... that is their problem, but don't think that you have some extraordinary talent!"
It's on par with Mr O's statement he's just making fun of us, cause we're so easy to upset.
I found Mr O since then more calm (what I've seen), maybe someone talked to him.
In general this forum is still a warm and cozy place, we're just very dumb sheep with thin skins, that get weared donw very fast by some few guys. I think we had something like paradise here, without predators and dangers. Now facing new threats, we don't have very good ways to solve it nicely, in the end a thread flames up and all are on fire.
I would hate this place if it went into a second cgtalk. It's soo hostile there.
The OT stuff doesn't bother me if it's not too much. But OT gives much chances for misunderstanding, stupid opinions and arguments, so having to much of it, will disturb the otherwise calm CG topics that are free of political and personal opinions.
I think everyone has at least some opinion that's difficult to accept for all the other ppl. Maybe politics, religion, being or not being gay, being brown, yellow or white.
If we talk about LW and related thing, that all doesn't matter (it shouldn't matter anyway tho), but with an extensive OT forum, you'd sooner or later know much of the things you have problems to cope with. Which will make the social interaction more difficult.
Sure everyone has a different amount of tolerance, but in the end we're just human and not capable of objective point of views.

Mike

T-Light
09-08-2006, 07:11 AM
Just checked the fridge, there's a wee dram of single malt left.

I'll toast everyone and everyody at six :thumbsup:

UnCommonGrafx
09-08-2006, 05:11 PM
Cheers, All!!

(Sorrry, started without you. And, switched beverages: licorice just didn't appeal. :tongue: )

starbase1
09-09-2006, 03:33 AM
Well, the lightwave community in London is positively thriving judging by yesterday evening!

I think there were about a dozen of us there, and many new faces too.

Particularly nice to meet Bog, who brought his laptop along so we could see stuff while drinking! I've never seen a laptop equiped with an Imax screen before...

Best bit of the evening though, was Ben Haines with the new Preset Central system. This really looks to be something rather special. Most of you probably remember the old one, which was pretty conventional - you downloaded a surface file as a preset, and dumped it in the appropriate direcory.

The new one is a combination of web site and lightwave tool, and establishes a link from inside Lightwave to the PresetCentral website, so you can browse the available presets from your preset shelf and transfer them either way. It also knows about things like additional shaders, so that (for example) IFW2 shader dependant surfaces are identified and handled correctly.

A brilliant evening!
Nick

T-Light
09-09-2006, 04:31 AM
There was a time I seemed to be in London every other week, just counted back there and I don't think I've sat in a London Pub in over three years, OMG!

Lord Snarebotto
09-09-2006, 10:40 AM
Of course people's fuses are shorter. The more intelligent you are, the more likely your fuse is to be short. The rapid proliferation of idiots and their rise to power has made this inevitable.

User-friendly OS' are partly to blame.

Cheers :)

hrgiger
09-09-2006, 11:05 AM
The more intelligent you are, the more likely your fuse is to be short.

I think you've got that backwards.

Bog
09-09-2006, 12:04 PM
There was a time I seemed to be in London every other week, just counted back there and I don't think I've sat in a London Pub in over three years, OMG!

Get thyself to the hostelry then, lad! :D

Intuition
09-09-2006, 01:00 PM
Man, I've been answering posts here as much as I can.

Also, I get answers to questions usually within a few hours of posting.

.......I love you all.... :bowdown:

I think I have checked this board almost daily, but never less then weekly, since even when it was the classic tree style message board.

It is always the most welcoming board and no one is afraid to share what other packages consider "trade secrets". We want great images from Lightwave and its add of software/plug ins and are willing to help anyone to achieve them.

I remember many of these guys here from the tree style message board even back in the beginning and everyone was willing to help out then as well.

You guys remember who did the UFO orange? It was an orange that opened up and flew around. It was really nice quality.

:lwicon:

Bog
09-09-2006, 06:10 PM
God, I remember that! It had that cool circle-holed chrome extension mechanism thing inside that reminded me of the last Pink Floyd concert. That was, indeed, cool.