PDA

View Full Version : What laptop do you think I should get?

cobaltman
09-04-2006, 08:10 PM
Hi. I have been checking out laptop computers at the store and on Amazon. I want one for times when I'm on the go and I want it to work with LW9 (or at least LW8). Any suggestions on what will be best?

Also, I don't intend to buy any above $1000. I just want a good, affordable one that could run Lightwave smoothly.

Bytehawk
09-05-2006, 04:20 AM
most laptops run lw
try to avoid ati graphics cards and shared memory type of graphics cards.

I'm doodling with the idea to buy a tablet pc. I like my wacom a lot, the citinq is cool but a bit too steep and I need a mobile solution. My parents 'borowed' the present laptop I own. Those oldies are getting into surfing and mailing. Sheesh, what's the world coming to.

Exception
09-05-2006, 09:22 AM
I love my asus laptop.
Best bang for your buck. They build the apple and IBM laptops, and they sure know how, the ASUS ones even look better, you just pay less.
There's custom build ones too.

savu
09-05-2006, 09:52 AM
nowadays my favourite is HP Pavilion dv6040us....

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/product_detail.do;jsessionid=E64xJWBqRzge3bl8tJGDv 9LXjcGKOQJo4aZdKi2MWE06Qv30BoR7!936445656?product_ code=EZ473UA%23ABA&tab=detailed_specs&storeName=&landing=&category=&subcat1=&catLevel=#defaultAnchor

cobaltman
09-05-2006, 10:03 AM
By the way, the local Wal-Mart store usually has Toshiba and Satellite brand laptops and they have something called Intel Graphics Accelerator.:confused:

Is that the graphics card they use? I'm not sure. If it is, is LW9 able to run off it smoothly?

Bytehawk
09-05-2006, 05:18 PM
don't know about the present batch of intel graphicschips, but when i researched this option about a year ago the intel chips
a) used the main pc memory, and didn't have any dedicated memory
b) were slow to use with lw
c) didn't support opengl 2.0

situation now might have changed since then though