PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a cool interface?

Exception
09-04-2006, 01:01 PM
There seem to be some people poking around with the interface customisations lately... I know its a bit of a half baked thing, but I'm sure there's people out there that managed to make a cool new one using the limitations that are in place...

Can you perhaps post some screenshots of nice interfaces?
Perhaps config files or something?

:)

habaņero
09-04-2006, 01:19 PM
My experience was that pretty much anything but a long gradient would break horribly since the textures are assigned to both horizontal and vertical elements.

I use this:

http://iihhrrr.web.surftown.nu/LW9/LW/test2.png

for background and this:

for http://iihhrrr.web.surftown.nu/LW9/LW/test2.png

for buttons, you get the idea.

I don't really blame Newtek too much for not putting this at a a top priority and I aint sure that they didn't do pretty good based on what they have to work with. The engine stuff is more important than the decals ...

toby
09-04-2006, 02:04 PM
I was hoping someone would ask!!

A-la LW [7.5] : gradient buttons and brushed metal background

Unfortunately any image you use will make highlighted buttons very hard to see, and the scrollbars do tile pretty badly

Matt
09-04-2006, 04:33 PM
I was planning on doing some, but when I saw what the button background actually looked like, I gave up bothering!

prospector
09-04-2006, 05:13 PM
So when is your vX coming out ?? I like that one

Intuition
09-04-2006, 06:04 PM
Yeh, does vX have a release date?

Matt
09-04-2006, 06:42 PM
'fraid not! It was just a concept, and even if I could program, the LW SDK doesn't allow that much customisation within the interface.

kmaas
09-04-2006, 07:55 PM
'fraid not! It was just a concept, and even if I could program, the LW SDK doesn't allow that much customisation within the interface.

That really is a shame. It looked so nice too.

Andyjaggy
09-04-2006, 08:03 PM
One of the selling points for me when I first got Lightwave was the interface, I know some people hate it but I really like the clean and simple look with text on the buttons instead of mystery meat button with little icons that you never know what they do. Although in past years the interface has started to get cluttered and unusuable, it was nice to see some consolidation of panels in LW9.

prospector
09-05-2006, 08:52 AM

Dang !!

Alright Newtek.....You know me....I want nothing changed in LW,no integration, no icony thingys, was upset at the interface change between Amiga and PC (got over that), always behind whatever Newtek does 100% (even at the peril of my sanity)......
But Matts interface is clean, pretty much Newteky Lightwavie, but 21st centuryish.

Can we please get it or at least make it possable for him to make an interface plug-in????????

krimpr
09-05-2006, 10:21 AM
Dang !!

Alright Newtek.....You know me....I want nothing changed in LW,no integration, no icony thingys, was upset at the interface change between Amiga and PC (got over that), always behind whatever Newtek does 100% (even at the peril of my sanity)......
But Matts interface is clean, pretty much Newteky Lightwavie, but 21st centuryish.

Can we please get it or at least make it possable for him to make an interface plug-in????????

:agree:

Can you imagine a 9.X update with the revised CA toolset all wrapped up in this spanky interface? Yumm! Sure would look good under the tree a few months from now... :D

Lottmedia
09-05-2006, 11:39 AM
My experience was that pretty much anything but a long gradient would break horribly since the textures are assigned to both horizontal and vertical elements.

I use this:

http://iihhrrr.web.surftown.nu/LW9/LW/test2.png

for background and this:

for http://iihhrrr.web.surftown.nu/LW9/LW/test2.png

for buttons, you get the idea.

I don't really blame Newtek too much for not putting this at a a top priority and I aint sure that they didn't do pretty good based on what they have to work with. The engine stuff is more important than the decals ...

habaņero, I decided to put your gradent in just to see what it looked like and it slowed Layout down to unusable status. 2-4 sec delay is pressing any button to result. Removed it and back to fine again. Is that the exact size image you use? Anyone else have preblems like that?

PS LW is way beyond need of an interface update. I thought I liked the adobe interface untill AE 7 came out.

Casey :cat:

toby
09-05-2006, 07:16 PM
habaņero, I decided to put your gradent in just to see what it looked like and it slowed Layout down to unusable status. 2-4 sec delay is pressing any button to result. Removed it and back to fine again. Is that the exact size image you use? Anyone else have preblems like that?

PS LW is way beyond need of an interface update. I thought I liked the adobe interface untill AE 7 came out.

Those two url's lead to the same image - maybe there was supposed to be a smaller one for the buttons?

Lottmedia
09-05-2006, 08:34 PM
Found that it only slows down if I use the image for the buttons, not the splash (gives really wierd and unplesent feel to the buttons anyway...) But in playing with it I found that no matter what I do with the button colors I get the default ones, is that a bug or something?

toby
09-05-2006, 08:38 PM
I haven't had that problem, are you quitting and restarting layout?

bryphi7
09-05-2006, 09:00 PM
I thought I liked the adobe interface untill AE 7 came out.
How could you not like the AE 7 interface? I thought it was such an improvement...

Lottmedia
09-06-2006, 12:10 PM
How could you not like the AE 7 interface? I thought it was such an improvement...

What I meant was that I thought it was the best untill 7 came out and I realized what could be done. I'm waiting to upgrade though because it's not much of a boost feature-wise (for me, anyway)

bryphi7
09-06-2006, 12:25 PM
I thought thats what you might have meant after I reread your post.:)