PDA

View Full Version : New to Lightwave and I need a some help

Scott D
09-04-2006, 12:42 PM
I'm new to the 3D modeling world and I am trying to find a good PC to start out with. A friend recomended a...

HP Pavilion Media Center Desktop PC
• AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 3800+
• 250GB SATA hard drive
• 1024MB of DDR SDRAM
• Double-layer DVD±R/RW
• LightScribe-enabled
• nVIDIA® GeForce™ 6150LE Graphics Card

I'll be running Lightwave 9. I do have a PowerMac G4 but it doesn't have a graphics card and I also have a Mac mini Intel 1.5GHz but I read that Lightwave will not run on it. Any help you guys can give would be greatly appreciated.

Paulifra
09-05-2006, 05:25 AM
have a look at this site and make your conclusions.

http://www.blanos.com/Benchmark

BeeVee
09-05-2006, 07:45 AM
Hi Scott D,

For a computer for LightWave, the important considerations are memory and processor power, and graphics card power is also important, but less so (everything else, like drive size or type or DVD burner make is largely irrelevant). LightWave actually has pretty low requirements for a 3D package, but even so, buying a new computer will see you right. For the first computer you list, everything seems fine although the nVidia 6150LE card seems a little underpowered. The IntelMac mini *will* run LightWave, however until the advent of the universal binary version that's coming soon, it will render slowly. Modelling will be okay. The G4 should have a graphics card, assuming you are using it with a monitor and not a teleprinter? and will almost certainly also run LightWave v9 just fine.

B

Scott D
09-05-2006, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the much needed help guys. I Really appreciate it.

liquidpope
09-06-2006, 01:40 PM
I ran LW 5.6 on a 90MHZ pentium with 40MB ram for an incredibly long year and a half. (1995 or so)
Most of that year and a half was waiting for renders.
It ran quite well, no problems, just slow as heck.
Save money = spend time, spend money = save time.

BeeVee
09-07-2006, 01:59 AM
More recently a user I spoke to quite regularly was using a Pentium II machine with Windows 98 and 256MB RAM and an NVidia TNT2 graphics card. He was using LightWave 8 and this was two years ago...

B

kikithuy
09-07-2006, 02:22 AM
I found a great site named www.europc.co.uk they do refurbished machines but very high spec work stations, you can pick up a dual processor Xeon machine with several GB RAM and a NVIDIA Quadro card for just over £1000.

I have a couple of these machines and they are ACE...

BeeVee
09-07-2006, 02:55 AM
They are usually refurbished Dells aren't they? I, too have friends with these machines that are very happy. They are usually machines for extremely large contracts that are not needed and so go to this reseller and they are usually packed to the hilt with goodies...

B

kikithuy
09-07-2006, 04:05 AM
Is that Ben Vost of Amiga Format fame?!?!?!?:)

kikithuy
09-07-2006, 04:16 AM
If it is - just to say you and Amiga Format got me into Amigas, and that got me into 3D animation and thanks to that I now have my own company www.creationstudio.co.uk and I do my hobby for a living (albeit on PCs) - so thanks very much.

If it isn't you - sorry!

Bog
09-07-2006, 04:25 AM
He's been like some kind of tech-pusher to so many of us, kikithuy.

I blame my upgrade addiction on him. Well, it's not an addiction. I could stop upgrading anytime. Any time. I just don't want to. Why would I want to stop upgrading? It doesn't mean I've got a problem!

*twitch*

BeeVee
09-07-2006, 05:01 AM
Yup, to my shame, it's the same me... Synchronistically enough I was looking on wikipedia this morning at their Amiga entry, foolishly thinking that perhaps I could add something to it, and saw that the article talked about AF going on until 2000, me at the helm of a sinking ship.

B
Anyone want cheap electronic products? First one free... /mode=pusher

Bog
09-07-2006, 05:06 AM
He gives the kids free samples
Because he knows full well
That today's young, innocent hopefuls
Will be tomorrow's clientèle....