PDA

View Full Version : The Crocodile Hunter is DEAD!!

DiedonD
09-04-2006, 02:19 AM
Have you heard the news. Steve Irvin, the crocodile hunter is dead! He got stinged by a stingray, while making a documentary. Oh this is so sad. I've watched most of his docs, and he was such a good person and very good at it.

If there are any australians, in here, please send my condolences to his family. Im just an ordinary fan that has no clue how to do that, continents away!

In the news, they say "He died doing what he loved"....Wish we could go that way, when time comes, too

cresshead
09-04-2006, 03:39 AM
yeah, just read about it on yahoo, he was a good chap anf his tv show always entertaining and informative...we'll miss him.

Panikos
09-04-2006, 03:44 AM
Sooner or later, everybody leaves.

zardoz
09-04-2006, 05:08 AM
It's really sad...
My wife has family in Sydney and two weeks ago we were in Queensland (we were in sydney for a month) and I went snorkling at the Green Island in Cairns...during this month I talked about him with my nephews lots of times and now he is dead.

mav3rick
09-04-2006, 05:29 AM
well every job has riscs... so i think this time he pushed beyond and animal was just protecting itself...

dogbite
09-04-2006, 06:27 AM
poor guy, out of all the dangerous creatures getting killed by a stingray.
they dont even sting unless provoked.

i thought hed die of a killer crok or maybe a runaway dinosaur, but a stingray..

Dodgy
09-04-2006, 06:49 AM
A real shame.

geck
09-04-2006, 06:57 AM
A unique individual who will definately be missed.

oDDity
09-04-2006, 07:29 AM
Everyone's unique. Let's talk about everyone who died yesterday.

SaturnX
09-04-2006, 07:38 AM
Yeah, its shocking.
he's gonna be missed.

tektonik
09-04-2006, 07:52 AM
the crocodudue ... in his line of work there was no undo function :)

now we have some undos in LW

Phewwwww! we are safer now :)

tonybliss
09-04-2006, 08:04 AM
tonto mierda! :thumbsdow

riki
09-04-2006, 08:09 AM
yeah a huge shock, he died well before his time.

Jim_C
09-04-2006, 08:21 AM
It's a shame when anyone dies,The Croc hunter not withstanding, but what confuses me is that people are shocked by this news...

The man made his living taunting and provoking dangerous and deadly creatures into mugging for the camera. Now one finally gets the better of him and it is 'shocking'?

IMO, he should have been stripped of any permission to be around these animals the day he dangled his infant child in front of a huge reptile.

THIS is a SHOCKING and TRAGIC death:
A State Trooper doing his job hunting for an escaped convict is sniped from the bushes by said convict.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/09/03/manhunt.shootings/index.html

Jim

jameswillmott
09-04-2006, 08:27 AM
He did a lot more than just act like a goat on TV. I never liked his antics, but he was hugely passionate about the welfare of animals and was a very active member of Australias wildlife conservation program.

He put together a really great zoo too, well worth the visit.

Ah well, such is life.

T-Light
09-04-2006, 09:11 AM
James Wilmot -

I never liked his antics, but he was hugely passionate about the welfare of animals and was a very active member of Australias wildlife conservation program.
Very true, I hope the consrvation program can keep going at the same level without him.
Found out about this on the 6 O'clock news this morning, rang the girlfriend saying "you'll never believe what's happened" She said "Steve Irwin's dead". This kind of news travels fast.

theo
09-04-2006, 09:22 AM
Any person or beast on my abstract visual and verbal social communication network will be sorely missed upon their death.

This would include Steve Irwin.

Those deads outside of this aforementioned abstract social network will have the appopriate yet sincere disclosure of sympathy leveled on their behalf upon their entrance, in any fashion, into my abstract social network. Though this disclosure of sympathy will be somewhat different based on the reality that this type of dead will have placed only the tiniest of ripple on the surface of my sociometric data pool simply due to how quickly they have passed through the abstract social network. Which in some cases may be the amount of time it takes to read an obituary (seconds) or to listen to a mourning fellow (minutes or hours).

This would include the aforementioned Danish executive (seconds).

In both cases though it is best not to offend either dead with the rather simplistic and pathetic pragmatism of "we all die".

Bog
09-04-2006, 09:31 AM
Yeah, it's a shame - not entirely a surprise, given his constant proximity to various wild beasties, but at least he went out doing something he loved.

Regarding the "People die every day" crowd - if people here want to have a bit of an obituary thread for someone who was a real character, then let 'em.

hrgiger
09-04-2006, 09:34 AM
You can only walk the razors edge for so long...

It's not tragic to die doing what you love. It is a good death. It is sad for his family of course, he had a young one or two from what I remember. I always enjoyed watching him and respected his courage. He seemed like a genuinely warm and decent person.

GandB
09-04-2006, 09:46 AM
I really enjoyed all his shows, but as everyone pointed out, he did live dangerously. Still he'll be missed over in this corner of the world.

-Keith

ShawnStovall
09-04-2006, 10:12 AM
I really enjoyed all his shows, but as everyone pointed out, he did live dangerously. Still he'll be missed over in this corner of the world.

-Keith

:agree:

I just watched a show about him the other day and how he helped open the Australian Zoo back up. It seemed like he really did love working with animals, unlike though's other T.V. animal personalities who seem to just be doing it for the money and not do anything beyond just a stupid T.V. show.

Signal to Noise
09-04-2006, 10:21 AM
I'm surprised he wasn't using one of his kids as bait to lure the stingrays in.

Steve's last word once the stinger entered his chest:

"CRIKEY...!"

R.I.P. Steve. And condolences to his family since I'm sure they frequent these forums. ;)

kennez
09-04-2006, 11:30 AM
He seemed like a genuinely warm and decent person.

I really do think he was a warm and decent guy. He also really cared about what he did. I sent him an email about three years back, and he sent me a HUGE packet of information about his various conservation efforts, and his dedication to the Australia Zoo.

Although I didn't agree with the way he would provoke those wild creatures, he was extremely courageous and brave - I wouldn't get anywhere near some of the things he handled (any type of snake, for instance). He was also so informative. It seemed that every time he encountered a different species, he would tell the viewer everything that he knew. The only other documentary presenter I know of that even comes close to this is Sir David Attenborough.

So long Steve - we'll miss you!

PixelFarmer
09-04-2006, 11:33 AM
He was a major force in trying to preserve our habitat, a great loss.

I do wonder what his last words were...

M

Titus
09-04-2006, 11:44 AM
I do wonder what his last words were...

Crikey!

lilrayray77
09-04-2006, 12:09 PM
Did he die from the puncture or posion? It's to bad, we really need more people fighting for the wildlife, espcially when you have some of the modern politicians running around.

ShawnStovall
09-04-2006, 12:12 PM
I heard it went through his heart. So probably the puncture.

Titus
09-04-2006, 12:13 PM
He died in the boat:

http://animal.discovery.com/fansites/crochunter/steve/statement.html?clik=netmain_feat2

hrgiger
09-04-2006, 01:05 PM
And so the vultures dig in to the gory details...

I wish NewTek paid as much attention to feedback/status on bug fixes as the userbase does to this story of the day thread.

How about we not hijack a thread in which people are paying expressing their respect for someone who just died with one person's perceptions on the activity level of Newtek's developers?

BTW, I would like to find out how to contribute to that crikey fund they're setting up. Perhaps in death he can do yet a lot more good for conservation and the environment.

hrgiger
09-04-2006, 01:13 PM
IMO, he should have been stripped of any permission to be around these animals the day he dangled his infant child in front of a huge reptile.

I remember seeing that on TV and I remember thinking that people weren't going to be real happy about that. But I think that Steve believed that he or his child were in no danger. He had been around crocs enough to know what was safe and not safe and I do believe that he didn't feel like he was placing his child in any danger. It may not have been the wisest thing to do, but to say he "dangled" his infant child in front of a huge reptile is exaggerting what he did. He was holding him while he did his usual business.

Nicolas Jordan
09-04-2006, 01:41 PM
He was very unique in his personality and the way he went about getting people excited about wildlife. He really had a purpose driven life unlike many people. I wish there was more people like him! I have much respect for Steve Irwin and always will. Rest in peace Steve. :(

Titus
09-04-2006, 01:57 PM
I remember seeing that on TV and I remember thinking that people weren't going to be real happy about that. But I think that Steve believed that he or his child were in no danger. He had been around crocs enough to know what was safe and not safe and I do believe that he didn't feel like he was placing his child in any danger. It may not have been the wisest thing to do, but to say he "dangled" his infant child in front of a huge reptile is exaggerting what he did. He was holding him while he did his usual business.

His father was a crocodile hunter also and I'm sure he did the same to Steve.

Nicolas Jordan
09-04-2006, 02:05 PM
I think Steve was wrestling crocs around the age of 12 at his dads prompting. :)

bryphi7
09-04-2006, 03:20 PM
well, if your gonna go, lets just hope its doing something you love... I can envision my last moment... F9, crash, die:D

Intuition
09-04-2006, 04:08 PM
Man, this is sad. I like this guy.

He seemed like he really loved what he was doing. I guess the best you can ask is to die doing what you love.

Still, a big bummer none the less.

Matt
09-04-2006, 04:25 PM
Sad to see him go, I loved his enthusiasm and passion for the protection of animals.

I Googled images of stingrays after reading that he was pierced by the barbs on the tail (near the body) and I had to wonder how on earth it happened.

Can they swim backwards? Because how can you be stabbed by something swimming away from you as I imagine it would have done.

Very unlucky.

jameswillmott
09-04-2006, 04:55 PM
It was very unlucky, there have only ever been two or three recorded deaths from stingray barbs in Australia.

IMPERIAL
09-04-2006, 05:11 PM
its all an marketing trick... he died from something else..

Matt
09-04-2006, 06:43 PM
Hmmmmmm, marketing for what exactly?

RedBull
09-04-2006, 07:38 PM
Yeah Australia has some if not most of the worlds deadliest animals/insects and other nasties.... Brown Snakes, Funnel Web's, Stone Fish, Crocs, Box jelly fish, blue bottles.....

And what bad luck to be taken by a sting ray, they are not vicious,
and would only attack if antagonised and provoked. As it stabbed him in the chest, it would of been very hard to remove without the barb, tearing all the vitals when they are removed.

He will be missed, i must admit that most Australians, Steve was a little embarrassing and because of his celebrity status in the USA, most Aussies felt he gave a somewhat stereotypical view of what we all Americans must think of all Aussies (Russell Crowe and Steve Irwin have a lot to answer for)

But it's no different to us Aussies thinking all you yanks are about as smart as George Bush, Jnr.... :)

In the end, Steve was a passionate conservationist and animal lover.....
What i liked about him apart from just being a passionate and honest person (what you saw, is what you got) is he used is money and fame to put back into what made him rich and famous in the first places... Animals and Natural land... Not only did he build he's Zoo, but he bought huge blocks of land
in America, Australia, Fiji and other places with the only ideal being to conserve and protect it...... (not build a mansion with a tennis court)

It's inspiring to see people make money from what they love,
and to use the money to improve the things that they do.....

Steve's passion was to buy as much land as he could afford,
because habitat destruction is the biggest problem facing the animals he was trying to bring attention too.

Some people will kill animals and make money from selling their skins....

Smart people will use the animals to bring attention to the problems and situations being faced, embrace their cause make money and then use the money to improve the habitats and lives of the animals that made him rich in the first place..... Giving back to the things that gave to him.....

Steve simply wasn't interested in money, it's very rare to find people who are passionate about anything without the incentive of money.
I have no doubt that Bindi, Steve's eldest daughter will be the croc hunteress,
in 15 years time.....

Despite what you may think of, passion and raw honesty are two things
that are sadly lacking in every other Australian i know....... (And i know them ALL)

Andyjaggy
09-04-2006, 07:54 PM
well, if your gonna go, lets just hope its doing something you love... I can envision my last moment... F9, crash, die:D
Haha. Anyone who did as much as he did for the preservation of nature has earned my respect. I am sure he wouldn't have wanted to go any other way, although I am sure that he hoped it would be about 20 or 30 years later. I love Lightwave but I'm not sure I would want to die alone working on a 3d scene :)

Stooch
09-04-2006, 08:08 PM
you are more likely to die from LW by comitting suicide due frustrations caused by missing or broken features.

i was a fan and loved his shows, yeah people die every day but this man was much much more then your average person doing something more important the just a job. so he gets my respect. and to all the people who are downplaying his death, well, atleast he was a bigger man then any one of you and you can be rest assured that your death wouldnt even be a blip on the social radar. i think times like these demand that if you dont have anything nice to say, just dont say anything at all.

riki
09-04-2006, 08:45 PM
It's a shame when anyone dies,The Croc hunter not withstanding, but what confuses me is that people are shocked by this news

He was so full of life, and a geniuenly nice person, which is why I was shocked to hear of his death. Not shocked by the way he died. It was a dangerous job.

theo
09-04-2006, 09:16 PM
He will be missed, i must admit that most Australians, Steve was a little embarrassing and because of his celebrity status in the USA, most Aussies felt he gave a somewhat stereotypical view of what we all Americans must think of all Aussies (Russell Crowe and Steve Irwin have a lot to answer for)

But it's no different to us Aussies thinking all you yanks are about as smart as George Bush, Jnr.... :)

Hmmm...much too wry.

I have a very positive view of Australia and much of this IS owed to Irwin and Crowe. Australia comes across to me as a very virile and rugged country with a tremendous sense of vitality, adventurism and independence. These are characteristics many Americans cherish. Not sure if this warants a plucky bash on our IQ's though.

Nicolas Jordan
09-05-2006, 12:06 AM
and to all the people who are downplaying his death, well, atleast he was a bigger man then any one of you and you can be rest assured that your death wouldnt even be a blip on the social radar. i think times like these demand that if you dont have anything nice to say, just dont say anything at all.

:agree: Nicely said Stooch!

hrgiger
09-05-2006, 02:03 AM

Oh Jesus. I hope that's not true.

Because at least half of us are smarter then the average houseplant.

THREEL
09-05-2006, 02:50 AM

I have a friend who died doing what he loved, too. He may not have been a "blip on the social radar" of the world, but he certainly was a "blip" on the social radar of Northwest Ohio. His name is Rob, and he died last week at the young age of 42. I'm not sure of the cause, but I think it had something to do with a bad ticker. His passions were kids and sports, so he put together a newspaper that covered these subjects to great extent. Not just high school, and junior high kids like most newspapers, but elementary kids as well. He will be truly missed. Incidently, his dad died in November 2005 from cancer. Truly tragic, but when it's your time to go, you better be ready. Please, keep his survivors in your thoughts and prayers as his mother seemed very devistated by the lose of her youngest son, so shortly after her husband's death.

I, also, have another friend that died at a young age doing what He loved to do as well, save the world from their sin. His name is Jesus and He died at the tender age of 33. He died from barbs (thorns) on His head, nails driven into His hands and feet, a spear being thrust in His side, and suffication caused by His own body weight from being hung on a cross. Such a grisly and untimely death for someone who did what they loved. The only thing is He came back to life. I'm not preaching, just telling the truth, that's all.

Now, my heart goes out to Steve's wife and children, but when you're doing a job as dangerous as his, there's always that risk factor. The strange thing is, he didn't die from wrestling a viscious crocodile, but rather from an inadvertant stab from a normally passive sting ray, and a direct hit to the heart to boot. What are the chances of that? Astronomical, I'll bet. On any other part of his body, Steve would have most likely been licking his wounds, taking a few stitches, and going home to wrestle crocs another day. But these things happen more than people realize. Back in the 1980's, a world famous stuntman by the name of Dar Robinson, he was big into jumping out of High-rise buildings and out of helicopters into a huge airbag below, died while doing a simple motorcycle stunt for a movie. He hit a small rock and flew off the side of a mountain. Just last week, 50 people sadly died in an airplane crash in Kentucky. The plane didn't crash from a mechanical problem, or a terrorist attack. No, the plane was simply headed down a runway that was too short for take-off.

I just hope I get a chance to tell my wife, kids, and everyone else I hold dear that I love them, one last time, before God calls me home. Just remember that before you leave for work, or go to bed, because you might have an "address change" before you get to see them again.

May God bless and keep Steve's wife and kids.

Medi8or
09-05-2006, 04:34 AM
Crikey! Way to derail a thread...

"Crikey" is funnily enough a euphemism for "Christ"... :D

oDDity
09-05-2006, 04:58 AM
you are more likely to die from LW by comitting suicide due frustrations caused by missing or broken features.

i was a fan and loved his shows,
That says a lot about your mentality. His shows were the worst kind of kiddies trash TV. One of the reasons I no longer watch television.

yeah people die every day but this man was much much more then your average person doing something more important the just a job.
Yeah, the average person doesn't like to dangle his children in front of dangerous animals to get attention and publicity for himself.

'Oh, but he only did it once', I hear you cry.

Ok, so if I only rape your mother once, would that be ok?

..and to all the people who are downplaying his death, well, atleast he was a bigger man then any one of you and you can be rest assured that your death wouldnt even be a blip on the social radar.
I see, so fame is all that matters in this world is it?
I'm sure a few dozen doctors died in the world on the same day as him, they spent their lives saving thousands of other lives, yet because they didn't boast about it and weren't famous, their deaths don't matter.
It only matters if you made it onto TV by being a show-off.

DiedonD
09-05-2006, 05:23 AM
He loved what he did. He earned alot from what he loved doing. And he invested his earnings on what he loved to do. What an excellent cycle of life. So narrow in a way, and so rich and selfufilled in another.

As for the risky way of his life that some say... Man thats the life he choose knowing the risks from the beginning. Thats what he was.

I sure would like to go doing my one last final character...Whichever that may be...

So for the majority of us that respect and wish to send condolences to the family, is there anyone who could at least copy paste most of the good replies in this thread, into an e-mail with our names on them, and send it to the family's e-mail address. I sure would love for this to reach continents away in Australia wher it belongs.
And some mentioned sending e-mails to Steve Irvin himself, but maybe, sadly, there might no longer be anyone to open and see us in that address.

I know I would sure go ahead and even print them on paper and send the list to the family by mail if it was about someone respectful and famous in my country.

So anyone up for it? I surely doubt that the family would notice this thread in here.

My whole name is Diedon Dorambari, and am from Prizren, Kosova

paulrus
09-05-2006, 06:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBull
But it's no different to us Aussies thinking all you yanks are about as smart as George Bush, Jnr....

Oh Jesus. I hope that's not true.

Because at least half of us are smarter then the average houseplant.

And again I ask. Why the F--- do we have to bring politics into every friggin discussion on every friggin CG board on the net?

Why take a tragic death and turn it into a political rant? Are your lives so full of hatred for GWB that everything somehow relates to him?

Do you guys spend all your time and effort looking for every chance to find the tiniest reason to somehow tie GWB into the topic at hand? Seriously, go outside, find a girl, get a life.

Steve Irwin made Animal Planet. His death is tragic, but as many said, he died doing what he loved and it's really unfortunate that folks here have so little respect. Outside of his on screen antics, he's really done a lot for conservation efforts and in educating people about the world of nature around us. My prayers go out to his family at the loss of a husband, father and son.

Paul

paulrus
09-05-2006, 06:43 AM
Are you serious? Way to derail a thread with religious rantings, keep your Jesus to yourself and stop preaching your brainwashed religious trite here. Your truth is not my truth. Coming here and putting religious dogma down as absolute truth is going to get you ridiculed to no end by atheists like me. So stop it already, don't start the ball rolling on this one.

Please - I'm begging you. Start a thread in General Topics on this subject so I can take you on. I love Apologetics. Atheists get no respect from me at all. Agnostics I can understand, but atheists don't even understand how illogical they are.

Try to argue relative truth - PLEASE!

Bog
09-05-2006, 06:53 AM
Can I suggest that anyone not wanting a thread to turn into a rant not rise to things? Fires only burn when given fuel and air. So if you think someone's spouting hot air, don't provide the fuel.

pooby
09-05-2006, 06:54 AM
I see, so fame is all that matters in this world is it?
I'm sure a few dozen doctors died in the world on the same day as him, they spent their lives saving thousands of other lives, yet because they didn't boast about it and weren't famous, their deaths don't matter.
It only matters if you made it onto TV by being a show-off.

People react more to the death of people they either know directly, or symathise with personally, even if that be through being in the media.
It doesn't then follow that they think 'others' deaths don't matter, but they won't get the same response emotionally.
If it were so, people would be emotionally disturbed every time they watch the news.
Sadness at anothers death is utterly subjective and based on how you felt about that person. It is totally pointless arguing over the value of anothers reaction to it.

paulrus
09-05-2006, 06:56 AM
So you don't want to discuss it, but you have to rant to tell me that?

Why post more than a simple sentence "I don't want to discuss this"? Why go into a rant at all? Your post seems fairly spineless to me.

If you have the guts to rant, have the guts to take the thread to General just as you said this entire thread should be. Or do the rules not apply to you?

paulrus
09-05-2006, 07:06 AM
My point is, if you don't want to discuss it - don't discuss it! Don't post these rants unless you want to take the time for an actual discussion in General. It's easy to simply say "I do not wish to discuss this". I'm just asking you, since you seem to be incapable of saying that, to move your argument to the forum that YOU yourself said is most appropriate.

T-Light
09-05-2006, 07:18 AM
Fight...Fight...Fight.
Guys, take it round the back of the bikesheds, aka 'general' or post another thread here, I'll follow it :).

This threads about one of the world's famous conservationists dying. The repercussions of which could be more damaging than a lot of people on our little planet realise. Argument's like this are irelevant until our polital and religious leaders to take more interest in conservation but alas, they're more interested in power and soundbites.

hrgiger
09-05-2006, 10:36 AM
So now it's OK for you to hijack the thread with bashing your own stupid president (re: your earlier reply to me in this very thread). I just wanted to point out your own hypocrisy to you. That'll be all.

Well actually, I was on topic. Redbull inferred that Steve Irwin gave Americans a narrow look at Australians and he said that many Aussies probably see George Bush as a good representation of Americans. I responded directly to his statement by saying that I hoped that was not true since a lot of us are smarter then house plants. I may have exaggerated my point since obviously George Bush is smarter then a house plant (arguably not by much though). You don't have to be a genius to see that George Bush isn't the shiniest marble in the sack. I was merely illustrating a fact. It had nothing to do with politics, you don't have to be a republican or a democrat or a anarchist to know that he won't be a member of Mensa anytime soon.

Are your lives so full of hatred for GWB that everything somehow relates to him?

Yes.

Do you guys spend all your time and effort looking for every chance to find the tiniest reason to somehow tie GWB into the topic at hand?

No. Just most of the time.

Seriously, go outside, find a girl, get a life.

If I went outside, I would never get any work done. Besides, thanks to GWB, what little ozone layer we had left is almost gone so it's not safe. I already have a girl, and she stays inside with me.

Outside of his on screen antics, he's really done a lot for conservation efforts and in educating people about the world of nature around us.

I know. And I had a ton of respect for him. Unfortunately for this reason is the same reason I have to bash old W so much. He is the worst thing for the environment to ever come down the pike.

hrgiger
09-05-2006, 10:38 AM
I guess Steve pulled the barb out of his chest before he died.

http://news.yahoo.com/fc/entertainment/steve_irwin

bryphi7
09-05-2006, 11:58 AM
Yes, I was referring to suicide, and it was a joke...

keep your Jesus to yourself and stop preaching your brainwashed religious trite here.

could not have said it better myself!!!!!

Stooch
09-05-2006, 01:42 PM
oddity... you are a sad man and i hope you get a life.

i dont think anyone would miss you. you are also completely off base and clearly dont know jack **** about steve irwin and you judge his work as kiddie trash tv while ignoring all the good he did behind the scenes. why are you so angry with something you dont understand?

and get over the whole dangling his kid infront of crocs. its nothing like raping your mother and im quite shocked that you even came up with that??? sounds like a deeper problem.

That says a lot about your mentality. His shows were the worst kind of kiddies trash TV. One of the reasons I no longer watch television.

NO! thats the problem with YOU. IT SAYS NOTHING ABOUT MY MENTALITY. there is no way you can judge me or my character based on just that one statement. if anything, it tells everyone here just how shallow and judgemental you are! and your other statements point to your oedipus complex and overall immature state of development.

in general i sense that you are jealous of steve because he is a "show off". while realistically he was doing a very difficult job and using his earnings to support what he loved. yes there are doctors out there who save lives, but who said they are doing it it to save lives and not just to make money? like i said, it was more then just a job for steve and i respect that.

bluerider
09-05-2006, 01:48 PM
That is most correct.

Today the chief executive of the danish railroad administation died, 53 years old, but I don't think it's important enough to post in the LW - Community forum. Maybe in the general discussion...

No, thats pretty important, I'm gutted!

Stooch
09-05-2006, 01:57 PM
I'm here for the LW discussion, but I jump on stuff like this because it doesn't belong here in the LW Community forum. If at all, it should go in the general discussion forum.

who the h3ll are you to decide what does or doesnt belong here? if you have nothing good to say, then say nothing at all... you learn that as you grow up.

hrgiger
09-05-2006, 03:36 PM
It's official, this thread is completely unhinged...and funny.

And for the last time, Steve did not "dangle" his kid in front of a crocodile. This is a gross exaggeration of the truth. He held his child while he was up close with a croc. That's like saying because a mother carried her child across the street, she was dangling her kid in traffic.

DragonFist
09-05-2006, 04:07 PM

Your attitude towards this loss of life is tasteless and disrespectful.

Your other statements in this thread are insultive and demeaning. In addition, they are uncalled for as they are in reaction to people expressing loss over the death of someone they respected. Additionally, they should further disrespect of the recently deceased.

I find this behavior reprehensible.

I was not particularly a fan of the Croc Hunter. Only saw him twice and as entertainment, it was not my cup of tea. But I can respect both the courage it took to do what he did and his efforts at preserving wildlife. He deserves at least a modicum of respect upon his death and certainly doesn't deserve insult on a public forum from the likes of you.

I am not suprized though with your "kick them when they are new, kick them when they are up, kick them when they are down" and now "kick them when they are dead" philosophy on "life".

What is really sad is you seem to see nothing wrong with making this kind of statements and per your own posts, enjoy the reaction you get from others when you do it.

Well, if you have a soul to be able to watch over your own funeral, let's hope you find enjoyment in people laughing at it and complaining how much of an @$$ you were in life.

THREEL
Originally Posted by neverko
keep your Jesus to yourself and stop preaching your brainwashed religious trite here.

Originally Posted by Bryphi7
could not have said it better myself!!!!!

Hey guys, if you would have really read my post instead of reading into it, you would have seen that all I was doing was comparing the Croc Hunter, his love of what he did, and his untimely death with others who I consider my friends and who did the exact same thing. I never said anything bad about any of them, or you for that matter.

If you choose to not believe in God, that is your own choice. That's why God, whether you want to believe in him or not, gave us free will. BTW-- neverko, when you so blatantly told me you are an athiest you shared your religous beliefs with me. Does that make you a zealot? Barabas was a zealot becaused he killed for his religion, which he was a Jew, but Jesus came in peace. He, also, was a Jew, but he was hardly a zealot. Also, I'm pretty sure that Steve Irwin believed in God. That's why he had such a heart for all creatures.

Finally, does GWB get the blame for everything bad that happens in the USA and the entire world. The Industrial Revolution has been going strong for over 100 years, so I hardly think that GWB is causing the ozone layer to disappear by himself. Until, supposed conservationists quit driving automobiles and hopping on airplanes they shouldn't be throwing stones from their glass houses.

bryphi7

And for the last time, Steve did not "dangle" his kid in front of a crocodile. This is a gross exaggeration of the truth. He held his child while he was up close with a croc. That's like saying because a mother carried her child across the street, she was dangling her kid in traffic.

did you see the video... He was feeding the croc. Do you think that the crocodile could tell the deference between the food in one hand and the food in the other?

Titus
09-05-2006, 04:17 PM
At that time he apologized for what he did, there's no reason to bring it back again.

Jim_C
09-05-2006, 04:19 PM
And for the last time, Steve did not "dangle" his kid in front of a crocodile.

Yes. Very true.
Please note below the difference between 'Dangling' a child, and 'Holding' one.

;)

...Sorry Felipe

jameswillmott
09-05-2006, 04:20 PM
Given how much he loved his kids (which is obvious from his interviews and seeing him play with them), do you think for one second he believed he was putting his baby in any danger?

I have a feeling this thread is going to self destruct and get closed down soon, so I'm bowing out now... :)

oDDity
09-05-2006, 04:21 PM

Yeah, cars are well known for developing independance and indiscriminately biting the limbs off people.

Your attitude towards this loss of life is tasteless and disrespectful.
Stop whining. Every one of the 7 billion people in the world today will be dead a hundred years from now.
It doesn't matter.

DragonFist
09-05-2006, 04:33 PM
Wow, it must be wonderful to have an Ego so large and blind that you confuse whining with someone pointing out your wrongness.

This post will either be ignored or be replied to with some other "witty" statement that misses the point that you treat others, even at their death, with disrepect and rudeness. One doesn't have to be whining to find it tasteless and amoral.

oDDity
09-05-2006, 04:56 PM
I'm just a realist, that's all.

Pavlov
09-05-2006, 05:32 PM
Stop whining. Every one of the 7 billion people in the world today will be dead a hundred years from now.
It doesn't matter.

So we wont see next LW update, quite a sad thing.

Paolo

DragonFist
09-05-2006, 05:34 PM
If you are going to use "realist" as an excuse for insulting others, please show me a definition of "realist" that contains insult, degradation, demeaning attitude and tactlessness as some intergral part of its definition. Because I highly doubt it is there.

You don't have to be an idealist to treat people well.

But, truthfully, I think you know this. You insult people on purpose and then act like they are reading something into your posts that is not there when you know full well it is there. You've stated as much in the past and admitted to getting enjoyment out of pushing people's buttons.

It is bad enough behavior in general. To do it regarding someone's death is truly without taste and says much about YOUR mentality. I don't think you are really fooling anyone here with that line.

The demeaning of art and life as a means of entertainment that you engage in is, to put it plainly, is sick.

You can justify it all you want and probably will. I have no doubt that you will continue to act the way you do and get your jollies out of even my reaction to it. But in the end you must live with yourself and though you will say otherwise, you life must be pretty miserable if this is the kind of thing you get joy out of. I am also willing to bet that it is pretty ****ed lonely as who would be willing to be close friends with someone who treats others as you do. I can predict that you will deny that as well. Maybe even list out the number of "friends" you have that all enjoy being insulted by you. But again, it your life and you have to live it, not me. However, maybe one day, you'll find that people actually like being treated with respect and sometimes like feeling like their views have importance (which must take a fair amount of self-esteem to pull off being around you for any length of time.)

-------------------------------

As I said before, I didn't find Steve's form of entertainment to be my cup of tea, but it quite sad that he has passed. He was obviously a passionate man and his undeniable actions taken to preserve life of all forms on this planet are quite deserving of respect. He has mine.

oDDity
09-05-2006, 05:43 PM
You make a big assumption that I behave the same in real life as on the intarweb.

Anti-Distinctly
09-05-2006, 05:50 PM
It doesn't matter.

Please exercise some tact.

LightFreeze
09-05-2006, 06:05 PM
It doesn't matter.

Not True

hrgiger
09-05-2006, 06:09 PM
Yeah, cars are well known for developing independance and indiscriminately biting the limbs off people.

Yes, they're called drunk drivers. They're pretty indiscriminate. Plus, cars kill a lot more people then both sting rays and babies held by Australian TV show hosts put together each year. So it is actually more dangerous to walk across the street then it is to feed a croc with a babe in your arms.

It doesn't matter.

Well actually not. Quite a few people live to be well over a hundred years old today, and in the future with the advancement in medical technology, people will live (unfortunately) even longer.

DragonFist
09-05-2006, 06:50 PM
You make a big assumption that I behave the same in real life as on the intarweb.
So you are only a troll on the web, not at home. But I believe there is some truth to it. It takes even less courage to do so via a computer than face to face. In real life, there might be harsher consequences than a short ban.

However, I take note that you did not deny the nature of your behavior on the intarweb (sic). Even if you had, you have already admitted to it earlier. It is simply a new low that you do it at the expense of the dead.

Signal to Noise
09-05-2006, 09:04 PM
Yes. Very true.
Please note below the difference between 'Dangling' a child, and 'Holding' one.

;)

...Sorry Felipe

What we don't see in Michael's photo is Steve with a hungry crocodile standing below the balcony.

riki
09-05-2006, 09:50 PM
I had to laugh when I read the comment his father made

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/irwins-distraught-widows-message/2006/09/06/1157222172164.html

Asked wehn he heard of his 44-year-old son's death on the Great Barrier Reef, he said: "This may sound really really weird but at the moment I heard the news I was about to bury a cow that died calving."

DiedonD
09-06-2006, 01:32 AM
Where did the Australian LW users went? Im still holding on the idea for someone who knows The Irvins address should send good replies from this thread to its proper destination. I believe it would mean alot to them, while other fans send flowers an all. And before some hijack this thread to obliteration.

We are running out of time. I can imagine Chuck having a close eye on this one, and with single bad word from us, that some are beging for, he would be more then willing to shut this thread off, too.

Any Ausies out there for a simple meaningful job like this? Its one of your own you know?

riki
09-06-2006, 01:34 AM
I'm from Cairns, North Queensland, but living in Japan now.

oDDity
09-06-2006, 02:51 AM
So you are only a troll on the web, not at home. But I believe there is some truth to it. It takes even less courage to do so via a computer than face to face. In real life, there might be harsher consequences than a short ban.
No, not trolling at all. I see this as my therapy. In real life I have to behave with certain social conventions, I can't really say what I want to people. Obviosuly I don't want to be ostracised and live as a hermit on a hill.
This all leaves me very frustrated, so on the internet I can take the gloves off and say exactly what I think. It's great.

Yes, they're called drunk drivers. They're pretty indiscriminate. Plus, cars kill a lot more people then both sting rays and babies held by Australian TV show hosts put together each year. So it is actually more dangerous to walk across the street then it is to feed a croc with a babe in your arms.
Ok, so you're going to persist with this pathetic anaolgy.
1. People have to cross roads to get from A to B, they've have no chocie, at no point does anyone ever have to enter an enclosure with dangerous animals while carrying their small children. He chose to do it. Wreckless.
2. Of course more cars kill people every year, because there are milliions more cars and almost all of them are around people every day.
If there were as many crocs as cars, and they lived openly in society, I think youi'll find the crocodile mauling statistics would far outweigh car accidents.

Well actually not. Quite a few people live to be well over a hundred years old today, and in the future with the advancement in medical technology, people will live (unfortunately) even longer.
Make it 150 years then, the point remains the same.

Anti-Distinctly
09-06-2006, 03:04 AM
No, not trolling at all. I see this as my therapy. In real life I have to behave with certain social conventions, I can't really say what I want to people. Obviosuly I don't want to be ostracised and live as a hermit on a hill.
This all leaves me very frustrated, so on the internet I can take the gloves off and say exactly what I think. It's great.

No you cannot.

The NewTek Forums are not a free speech zone...
(http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17153)

colkai
09-06-2006, 03:48 AM
Guys, really, calm down.
I've avoided saying anything so far, but given how things are blowing up here and in reality, only serving to force bad feeling, bear in mind oDDity has made it plain in other threads that his goal in life is to annoy folks, he stated quite clearly that he loves winding people up. Now, if that's what floats his boat, fine, me I don't get it. Then I don't get the need to cut people up so you can arrive at work 10 or 20 seconds quicker than you normally would, but some people live for that.

Coming across here as an arrogant, self-absorbed and cynical person who enjoys demeaning others and acting the great "I am" is, as he has said elsewhere, his "fun".

Whether anyone else sees it that way is immaterial and truth is, he's correct in at least one thing, his behaviour here has no reflection on who he is in "real life", or at least, others cannot know that to be the case.

So if he winds you up, ignore the wind up post, as indeed I will do to any replies aimed at me here by him. It's too easy these days to get caught up because you're stressed out and it's the proverbial straw that snaps.

If nothing else, what anyone should take from the news of this guys death is, life is fleeting, take out of it what you may. Yes, what anyone does here may not amount to a hill of beans in 500 years time, but I'll tell you this, life can be shorter than you think. I've lost good friends long before their time, it's been something of a wake up call I can tell you.

So what's say, reduce your stress, let any posts that tee you off just pass you by because the time you spend stressing over them is time you ain't ever gonna reclaim.

Me? I'm gonna make me a coffee and have some biccies, good times.

oDDity
09-06-2006, 04:19 AM
You're right. The bottom line here is that this is a guy who spent his life caring more about animals than us, and now that's he's dead we're supposed to care about him, and now I'm being attacked for not caring about my fellow man.
Let all the animals he befriended sign his book of condolence.

toonafish
09-06-2006, 04:39 AM
and now for something completely different:

http://throwawayyourtv.com/2006/07/ricky-gervais-reads-bible.html

sit back and have a laugh :D

DragonFist
09-06-2006, 04:40 AM
You are being "attacked" because you have made it your hat to attack others. There is a reason society has mores. Because the group has found such actions as are limited by such mores or morals to be non-survival to the group and somehow, some individuals haven't figured it out.

Some people have, in the past, not been able to work out for themselves that something about killing his fellow man is not survival. So the group as a whole has to say, "Okay, so killing people is called murder and it is illegal". Then, when said individuals still refuse to stop murdering, they came up with a mean to prevent them from doing it. Jails, banishment, death penalty, whatever, so long as it prevented this individual from harming the group.

Most societies have found the harassment of ones fellows to be nonsurvival to the group as a whole and have come up with mores, morals and laws against it.

Unfortunately, some individuals don't get it and don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to harass their fellows....

Seems today, they think they have found a means to do it behind a thin veil of animosity called the internet. However, even here, the group will find ways to deal with individuals who can't understand the concepts of group survival and will eventually set up ways to prevent their actions.

Unfortunately, morals are poor replacement for ethics (one's own personal choices with regard for the group and its survival) as they put limitations not only on those that can't thinks with any kind of higher level ethics, but also those who can and wouldn't take actions harmful to the group out of reason and not due to punishment or social consequence. And so the rights of the many get lessened by the acts of the few who neither deserve them nor care that they have lessened the rights of others. But they will be the first ones to attempt to hid behind the rights intended for those that deserve rights.

----------------------------------

Sorry, for the surmon. Those who didn't need it had their time wasted and, unfortunately, those who did are not likely get it or follow it. Which is ironic, given past quotes.

bluerider
09-06-2006, 04:58 AM
You're right. The bottom line here is that this is a guy who spent his life caring more about animals than us, and now that's he's dead we're supposed to care about him, and now I'm being attacked for not caring about my fellow man.
Let all the animals he befriended sign his book of condolence.

I noticed a lot of livestock in the fields this morning, they looked pretty sad Like they were mourning. I know deep deep down that they send their condolences, I'm touched by their empathy.

However, what I enjoy most about animals is when mister Mo Mo and Larry the lamb are complimenting "comber" potatoes.

Bog
09-06-2006, 05:03 AM
Whether anyone else sees it that way is immaterial and truth is, he's correct in at least one thing, his behaviour here has no reflection on who he is in "real life", or at least, others cannot know that to be the case.

That's amazingly true. Whenever I come across someone who's posted inflamatory material on the interweb at whatever kind of meeting, they have a tendency to look me straight in the chest, look up 'til they're looking me in the eye, clear their throat once or twice and be very polite. It's astonishing!

So if he winds you up, ignore the wind up post, as indeed I will do to any replies aimed at me here by him. It's too easy these days to get caught up because you're stressed out and it's the proverbial straw that snaps.

Yup. Best advice. Please Ignore the Troll. To be honest, I do not see that one should comport oneself any differently on the 'net as they do in real life, but then I've always been a believer in polite behavior, common courtesy and not taking a big crap over people "just because I can". I find it distasteful. However, the best way to emasculate someone who's trying to get a rise out of you is to blithely ignore them. Always has been, always will be. There's even an "Ignore User" function on this very board.

jameswillmott
09-06-2006, 05:21 AM
Where did the Australian LW users went? Im still holding on the idea for someone who knows The Irvins address should send good replies from this thread to its proper destination. I believe it would mean alot to them, while other fans send flowers an all. And before some hijack this thread to obliteration.

We are running out of time. I can imagine Chuck having a close eye on this one, and with single bad word from us, that some are beging for, he would be more then willing to shut this thread off, too.

Any Ausies out there for a simple meaningful job like this? Its one of your own you know?

Actually, emails, letters flowers and whatever are very thoughtless gestures.

If you want to do something, what would be really meaningful, is to make a donation to Steve's conservation foundation.

http://www.wildlifewarriors.org.au/

Outside Australia Zoo are thousands of dollars worth of flowers that are going to be dead and dumped within a week, the money spent on them would have been more appreciated going to the foundation too...

colkai
09-06-2006, 05:51 AM
Outside Australia Zoo are thousands of dollars worth of flowers that are going to be dead and dumped within a week, the money spent on them would have been more appreciated going to the foundation too...
Tough call that, people like to have a 'visible' show of condolence, but yeah, the money would be better given to the charity. Of course, doesn't make for as good news as swathes of flowers are almost expected these days.

When the founder of the wildlife centre died, everyone gave donations rather than flowers. Whilst the funeral was not be-decked with blossom, the money helped ease the centre through a really bad time.

A lot of the time though, people don't realise how close to the wire some charities run and think "it's ony a $10 bunch of flowers", not realising several hundered folks are thkning the same thing.

mrunion
09-06-2006, 06:29 AM
(Removed.)

riki
09-06-2006, 07:00 AM
You can send donotions here if your intersted http://www.wildlifewarriors.org.au/make_a_donation/

Chuck
09-06-2006, 09:12 AM
This all leaves me very frustrated, so on the internet I can take the gloves off and say exactly what I think.

No, you can't. When you signed onto this board you agreed to abide by the rules and those rules include courteous behavior, precisely the same courtesy expected in "real life." This forum has a lot of purposes, but none of them include your therapy. You want a venue for that, pay for the servers, software and bandwidth and set up your own forum, but such behavior is out of place here on this forum. From now on, communicate with respect for others opinions and feelings, as you gave your word to do when signing on.