PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Mac

newtekker04
09-03-2006, 11:34 PM
Hey, everyone.

I'll be moving Lightwave [9] to a iMac G5 in a couple weeks and wanted to ask a few questions. First of all, I am well aware of the neglect Mac users are facing in regards to LW's stability, and feel this is a sorry state for the community to be experiencing. What I'd like to know is some work-arounds for some of the prominant glitches in LW Mac.

For instance, I've read disabling the hub helps the stability. Any other tricks I should be aware of to combat problem areas, or is this about the only thing I can do?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Chilton
09-03-2006, 11:47 PM
Hi,

All of the Mac problems will go away very soon. But in the meantime, make sure you're using a second generation red dongle, or any-color-other-than-red dongle. Make sure your RAM is good, and that you have a lot of it. Keep the hub off, for now. Save often.

Send me crash logs ( [email protected] ) if you get them. Recipes for reproducing crashes reliably will earn you instant karma points, redeemable at any NewTek brand bar, grill, or tavern.

-Chilton

newtekker04
09-03-2006, 11:57 PM
Hi,

All of the Mac problems will go away very soon. But in the meantime, make sure you're using a second generation red dongle, or any-color-other-than-red dongle. Make sure your RAM is good, and that you have a lot of it. Keep the hub off, for now. Save often.

Send me crash logs ( [email protected] ) if you get them. Recipes for reproducing crashes reliably will earn you instant karma points, redeemable at any NewTek brand bar, grill, or tavern.

-Chilton

Looking forward to it! I desperately want to leave Windows and switch to a Mac indefinitely. Until then, I will be sharing my brother's iMac and want to run LW as smooth as possible.

I assume I'm using a second-gen dongle; it's purple and says "Rainbow Duo" or something like that.

But if LW is causing me headaches, at least I know I'll be collecting karma points.:D

geck
09-04-2006, 01:17 AM
All of the Mac problems will go away very soon.
Hmmm, how soon is 'soon'?

Just curious about the general timeframe, (days, weeks, months...)

Darth Mole
09-04-2006, 03:31 AM
Welcome to the rebel alliance, geck!

Disabling the hub is a start. Third-party plug-ins and shaders are a sure-fire way of causing a crash - not always, but whenever there's a new iteration of LW and the SDK, some plug-ins will need tweaking, and some use workarounds that can upset LW from time to time.

Images - LW is finnicky about which images it uses (JPEGs used to be a problem I seem to recall), but it does seem much better these days. Someone else might have better information on this; Targas always seem a safe bet.

Oh, and when you can afford it, buy FPrime!

Chilton
09-04-2006, 07:07 AM
Just curious about the general timeframe, (days, weeks, months...)

Hard to say. We showed it off at SIGGRAPH and WWDC, but there is still work to do.

-Chilton

avkills
09-04-2006, 09:30 AM
I am assuming that the *cough* UB version will be a free upgrade to existing v9 users.

As far as stability, I've been rock solid once disabling the Hub. And yes you want plenty of RAM, in fact I am going on a walkabout today in search of more, stretching my limits once again. :D

As far as images, I always use Targa. You can use PNG and JPEG, but LW will de-compress them once loaded, so all you really are doing is saving space on your HD.

-mark

geck
09-04-2006, 09:34 AM
Fair enough.

I guess it's a bit like asking, 'how long is a piece of string?'.

Thanks Chilton. :thumbsup:

toby
09-04-2006, 03:38 PM
Hey, everyone.
I'll be moving Lightwave [9] to a iMac G5 in a couple weeks and wanted to ask a few questions. First of all, I am well aware of the neglect Mac users are facing in regards to LW's stability, and feel this is a sorry state for the community to be experiencing. What I'd like to know is some work-arounds for some of the prominant glitches in LW Mac.

BOY I'm tired of this false rumor. It was true with OS9, but that was 5 years ago!

I've worked on both platforms every day for years now, and I can tell you that the PC version has just as many problems.

LW on the Mac is every bit as stable, overall, as the Windows version, but stability is what Mac users don't like about working on Windows. We compare LW's stability to Photoshop on OSX, and complain. The only disadvantages to the Mac version is plugin availability, and OpenGL is a little slower.

We don't use the hub where I work either (all pc), for the same reasons. And lately, LW[8] has been disappearing for no apparent reason several times a day - but Windows users seem to be incapable of thinking that their OS causes any problems, and more than eager to blame OSX at any opportunity.

Chilton
09-04-2006, 03:40 PM
I am assuming that the *cough* UB version will be a free upgrade to existing v9 users.

Yes, it's free for everyone, unless of course you have not purchased v9.

-Chilton

jat
09-04-2006, 05:17 PM
I bought 8.5 and got the free upgrade to 9 does that mean I'm out of luck?

Chilton
09-04-2006, 06:16 PM
Hi Jat,

I don't know. I'm not the policy guy at NewTek. I'd suggest calling NewTek Support tomorrow and asking.

-Chilton

Zane Condren
09-04-2006, 06:34 PM
As long as you have a legal License of LightWave 9, whether it was a free upgrade or a paid upgrade you receive all the 9.x upgrades for free. To NewTek it doesn't there is no difference between a "free" upgrade or a paid one.

newtekker04
09-04-2006, 06:50 PM
Will the UB version take advantage of all the extra horsepower the Mac Pros offer? I assume the engineers at Newtek are testing on Mac Pros?

Chilton
09-04-2006, 07:09 PM
Hi,

Will the UB version take advantage of all the extra horsepower the Mac Pros offer? I assume the engineers at Newtek are testing on Mac Pros?

The first time LightWave UB was run on a Mac Pro was at WWDC, a few hours after the Mac Pro was announced ;-)

But to answer your question, the first release of the Universal Binary version of LightWave will not be a 64-bit app. How to handle the 64-bit version is the next decision we'll be making after the move to UB.

-Chilton

mike_stening
09-05-2006, 03:04 AM
hmmmmm decisions decisions.8/ :lightwave

newtekker04
09-05-2006, 12:10 PM
Hi,

The first time LightWave UB was run on a Mac Pro was at WWDC, a few hours after the Mac Pro was announced ;-)

But to answer your question, the first release of the Universal Binary version of LightWave will not be a 64-bit app. How to handle the 64-bit version is the next decision we'll be making after the move to UB.

-Chilton

Oh well - I'll just be pleased to be able to use LW natively on the new intel systems. BTW, how well does LW work on Rosetta?

I did read somewhere online that the UB was schduled for a year-end release. Can you confirm this?:question:

Chilton
09-05-2006, 12:20 PM
Oh well - I'll just be pleased to be able to use LW natively on the new intel systems. BTW, how well does LW work on Rosetta?

I did read somewhere online that the UB was schduled for a year-end release. Can you confirm this?:question:

Sure, I can confirm that. Again, we could have already shipped, IMO, but it's not something I would have been proud of ;-)

-Chilton

nemac4
09-05-2006, 01:20 PM
I may soon find myself in a postion of having to choose between a new PC or new Mac.
What I wan't to know is will the UB allow me to use PC plugs as is?
Or do coders have to update the plugs for UB? Can I use plugs like Fprime without updates?

Chilton
09-05-2006, 01:25 PM
Hi,

All plug-ins will need to be rebuilt for the Universal Binary version of LightWave. We will be providing extensive help to any and all plug-in developers at that time, to make sure the transition happens quickly.

-Chilton

byte_fx
09-05-2006, 01:53 PM
Chilton -

Thanks again for keeping us up to date.

byte_fx

Darth Mole
09-05-2006, 03:15 PM
Hey Chilton - any news on the sorts of speed increases us PPC users will get by switching to the UB version of LW? And are there any other advantages?

Thanks!

Chilton
09-05-2006, 03:27 PM
Hi Darth.

No advantages for PPC users.

Unless you consider better stability, lots of Mac specific features, real menus, and some degree of speed boost (not sure on the numbers here yet) to be advantageous.

-Chilton

Darth Mole
09-05-2006, 04:10 PM
Darn - and I was hoping for great things. Oh well... may as well download it anyway I suppose. When it's ready, of course :)

But seriously - why is that? 'More modern codebase' or something?

Captain Obvious
09-05-2006, 04:24 PM
Great work, Chilton! I really appreciate NewTek's new found outspokenness.

nemac4
09-06-2006, 02:20 AM
:agree:

Thanks Chilton

Nicolas Jordan
09-06-2006, 08:22 PM
Just wondering, when you guys say Macs need lots of RAM for Lightwave, how much is sufficient for system RAM? I am guessing 2GB will be plenty right? I currently have 1.5 GB on my PC and 256 MEG Card and Lightwave runs pretty smoothly when working on most projects.

I am definetly considering moving over to Mac soon too! :)

BazC
09-07-2006, 12:22 AM
Just wondering, when you guys say Macs need lots of RAM for Lightwave, how much is sufficient for system RAM? I am guessing 2GB will be plenty right? I currently have 1.5 GB on my PC and 256 MEG Card and Lightwave runs pretty smoothly when working on most projects.

I am definetly considering moving over to Mac soon too! :)

It's not so much that Macs need loads of RAM for Lightwave, any computer needs loads of RAM for any high end 3d app. I think 1gig is generally thought to be the minimum requirement (though I'm running with less) and I suppose 2 gigs is probably average. Plenty of people are using 4 or more these days though. I'd probably start with 1 or 2 gigs and add more if you need it.

Meshbuilder
09-10-2006, 11:28 AM
Any other tricks I should be aware of to combat problem areas, or is this about the only thing I can do?

Don't listen to iTunes when working in LightWave. I don't know why but LightWave crash alot more for me when I have iTunes open?

I hope all this will change when Newtek releases the UB version of LightWave.

toby
09-10-2006, 01:53 PM
Don't listen to iTunes when working in LightWave. I don't know why but LightWave crash alot more for me when I have iTunes open?

I hope all this will change when Newtek releases the UB version of LightWave.
8~ oooohh, no iTunes while Lightwaving?? I feel for ya brother. No problems here however.

Meshbuilder
09-11-2006, 04:44 AM
8~ oooohh, no iTunes while Lightwaving?? I feel for ya brother. No problems here however.

I have an extra G5 just for playing iTunes :D

TomT
09-11-2006, 10:06 PM
Unless you consider better stability, lots of Mac specific features, real menus, and some degree of speed boost (not sure on the numbers here yet) to be advantageous.

Stability and Speed would be good. ;)
-T