PDA

View Full Version : Can't spline patch when modeling cars

pixi14369
06-07-2003, 11:35 AM
I have followed the mustang car modeling tutorial that i am sure many of you are familiar with...but i am doing it on a mclaren, i have the model almost complete, and i wanted to try and patch one of the panels...well...i select 4 point of the bezier that intersect and i go to the patches area, and i can't spline patch them, which thn leaves me unable to poly the car...what am i doing wrong....???? And if you want screenshots of what i am doing you will have to tell me how to take one....

Ok I just tried it with polygons and it let me choose spline patching, but when i choose to patch them it says curves do not cross correctly..WTF does that mean?

Mylenium
06-07-2003, 12:30 PM
The end vertices (end points) of the adjacent splines have to be connected. Use the merge and weld tools to achieve this. Read carefully - I said end points. If your splines are longer than the patch area, split them. On the other hand you could always RTFM.

Mylenium

pixi14369
06-07-2003, 12:58 PM
Yes, I could RTFM, but then what would you be surfing this area for?? Dumb questions like this are what makes this forum what it is...:)

pixi14369
06-07-2003, 01:00 PM
And I have done that over and over againi have even reconected them, but for some reason certain lines just ont patch....i even re-made a whole section of the car just to check that...still no good, i must be doing something wrong..

Lewis
06-07-2003, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by pixi14369
And I have done that over and over againi have even reconected them, but for some reason certain lines just ont patch....i even re-made a whole section of the car just to check that...still no good, i must be doing something wrong..

Hi !

Yeah you must be doing soemthing wrong 'coz only few reasons can be for that "curves don't cros..." error and all of them are human error :).

Few rules must be considered :

1. You can't patch more than 4 splines at once or less than 3 (prefered 4).
2. Selected splines must be connected by welding/merging crossing point between two of them wich are cross each other.

I'am always welding points when i make splines and nto later 'coz you will forgot some of them later.

Show me screengrab of your unsucessful patching with full screen so that i can see all views and how splines are selected.

cheers

SplineGod
06-07-2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Lewis
Hi !

Yeah you must be doing soemthing wrong 'coz only few reasons can be for that "curves don't cros..." error and all of them are human error :).

Few rules must be considered :

1. You can't patch more than 4 splines at once or less than 3 (prefered 4).
2. Selected splines must be connected by welding/merging crossing point between two of them wich are cross each other.

I'am always welding points when i make splines and nto later 'coz you will forgot some of them later.

Show me screengrab of your unsucessful patching with full screen so that i can see all views and how splines are selected.

cheers
Ill also add that make sure that you have the proper splines selected as well. Sometimes you think you have the right ones but you may have one that you cant see selected that isnt part of the current patch. Im lazy and instead of making splines and then welding them I build splines off existing points so theyre automatically welded. I have a very simply spline tutorial on my website that I would take a look at. Its a simple model but shows the basics that may help make some of what youre doing much simpler:
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com
The link is near the bottom.
-Larry

pixi14369
06-08-2003, 09:11 AM
Well, to Lewis, the tutorial is great, and obviously it worked fine for most people, but I am doing eveyhing you have said....I weld as i go, I even started and stopped splines where you guys did, and there are some areas of the car that i can patch, like the fender flare.....I could patch the door, but....I needed to delete anyother line touching the door......Also How do i get screen grabs????

Splinegod: I have clicked o your tutorial but it isnt coming up...Is the link broke???

SplineGod
06-08-2003, 09:32 AM
Well, to Lewis, the tutorial is great, and obviously it worked fine for most people, but I am doing eveyhing you have said....I weld as i go, I even started and stopped splines where you guys did, and there are some areas of the car that i can patch, like the fender flare.....I could patch the door, but....I needed to delete anyother line touching the door......Also How do i get screen grabs????

Splinegod: I have clicked o your tutorial but it isnt coming up...Is the link broke???
The link works fine. Try it again. :)

pixi14369
06-08-2003, 09:50 AM
Yep your right, must have been a server lag or something...I just watched it and listened to it...It is quite informative and taught me enoughto get by, but..Damn it your a fast talker LOL...had to watch it like 3 times just to undersand it..but thanks much and i have your page bookmarked for my future reference needs..thx

marvin
06-08-2003, 12:50 PM
pixi14369,

I am no master at splines (at least no where near SplineGod) but what you should do is start blank in modeler and experiment a little with splines. I remember having that problem a couple of times when I first started using splines. A good thing to keep note of is when you are going to make a spline, if you can, select points from already existing geometry (preferrably perpendicular splines) and hit ctl P. Then under the construct tab, use "add points" to get more points and then use the drag tool to shape the curve. This way you know for sure the new spline is connected to other splines already.

Hope some of this helps.

By the way...to screen grab:

PC -- have exactly what you want to take a picture of showing on your monitor, then hit the key "print screen" on your keyboard. Then open Photoshop, or another paint program, File->new. Don't change anything and hit OK. Then go Edit->paste. Crop if you want or need to. Save it as jpeg or gif, and use that.

Mac -- Again have what you want to take a picture of showing on your monitor and press the keys command, shift, 3 at the same time. (it may be control, shift, 3...it's been a while) and this will create an image file in your hard drive, or desktop, depending on how this is set up. You can open this image in any paint program.

marvin

SplineGod
06-08-2003, 03:58 PM
Yep your right, must have been a server lag or something...I just watched it and listened to it...It is quite informative and taught me enoughto get by, but..Damn it your a fast talker LOL...had to watch it like 3 times just to undersand it..but thanks much and i have your page bookmarked for my future reference needs..thx
LOL, I had to talk fast to keep the filesize to something downloadable. I figured people could watch it more then once. :)