PDA

View Full Version : Object modification!

Bladewing51
09-02-2006, 08:40 PM
Hey ya'll I'm back again with more questions this one I hope is a simple one, I would like to know whats the best way to create a hole in a couple of rectangular holes in a polygon. I've been playing around with the subdivision tool alittle I just wondered if there is a better techique of doing this.

I'm looking for something to make the cuts that are in red, sorry for the crudness but I'm very tired.

Warwind
09-02-2006, 09:20 PM
Wouldn't that be a boolean operation?

The Boolean Command

The Boolean command (Construct > Combine : Boolean) is similar in some respects to the Solid Drill command, discussed later. However, Boolean operations treat objects as solids with volume, instead of hollow 3D objects. They will merge, split, carve, and join objects in a variety of ways. Like the drilling tools, you must have an object in the background layer. The major distinction of Boolean is that it treats the foreground object as a solid mass and thus creates inside surfaces along cut edges.

Look up "boolean" in the web-based help; maybe that will do what you want. Hope this helps! :)

Bladewing51
09-03-2006, 10:02 AM
Cool that was perfect, this changes everything....I need to find a manual for this program :foreheads

UnCommonGrafx
09-03-2006, 10:13 AM
IF you have lwcad2.0, it'll not only be easier but cleaner.
Normal booleans generally leave 'ugly' geometry. It's worse if you are working with subds.

Bladewing51
09-03-2006, 10:18 AM
Is LWcad2.0 a plugin or a seperate piece of software?

UnCommonGrafx
09-03-2006, 10:37 AM
Sorry.

It is a plugin. 1.5 was given away with pre-release [9] purchases; 2.0 was a paid upgrade.

Bladewing51
09-03-2006, 10:47 AM
Ok thanks

Sekhar
09-03-2006, 11:31 AM
IF you have lwcad2.0, it'll not only be easier but cleaner.
Normal booleans generally leave 'ugly' geometry. It's worse if you are working with subds.
Wow, didn't know LWC2 has this - could you post an example LWO please? I'm trying to decide if I should upgrade and this would be a good reason (I have a lot of trouble with regular boolean and CC, like you pointed out).

Bladewing51, for making holes, check out template drill (shortcut "Shift+R") - you'll need to put the box in foreground and the cutting shapes in the background. Use the tunnel mode and be sure you select the right axis direction. If you want to restrict to one surface (like say just one side of a box), select that surface before drilling.

Another way is solid drill (shortcut "Shift+C"). The difference is that the cutting object is 3D.

UnCommonGrafx
09-03-2006, 11:43 AM
No, I don't.
But they do:
http://www.wtools3d.com/swf/tutorials/RTboolean/RTboolean.html

toby
09-03-2006, 12:36 PM
Cool that was perfect, this changes everything....I need to find a manual for this program :foreheads
You're not using a kracked copy are you? I wouldn't ask, but this is Newtek's own website -

Maxx
09-03-2006, 12:37 PM
The manual is available for download from your NewTek registration page (same place you downloaded the program itself) - look under Bonus Content directly beneath the executable downloads. There's also downloadable versions of the bonus content. Also, if you've gotten your CD's yet (still confused as to whether or not everybody gets these, sorry), you'll find the pdf manual on there as well.