PDA

View Full Version : camera animation

viewnathan
09-02-2006, 02:26 PM
Hello,
today i found out how hard it is to animate a camera like a flying cam over a terrain with mountains for example.
especially when the terrain is polygon heavy.
the preview possibility becomes really slow and making test renders is also not quick.
is there anybody who has heard of a good tutorial about camera animation, especially fast moving cams in delecate surroundings??????
Where are the starwars fans to teach me?
thanks Nathan

ScottSullivan
09-02-2006, 11:42 PM
You could try setting opengl subpatch level to 1. Won't look as pretty, but could work. Also, possibly using a plugin to do the animation. I remember a plugin (forget what it's called) that made an object (you could use the camera I think if it was parented to a null) that followed another object. Think cruise missle following an enemy jet.

Combine that with the "Sticky" feature in 9 (there is a demo video of that on the LW9 video demo page). Just parent the camera to the null that follows the terrain and have the camera a bit above the terrain.

But as far as the preview, only thing I'd really try first is the subpatch level, depending on the accuracy you need.

I really hope that helps. Probably other suggestions would be more in depth than mine. I only pretend to know what I'm talking about.

"I'm not that smart. Instead, I pretend I'm a smart person and think, what would he do?" - Gene Hackman, Heist.

Scott

toby
09-03-2006, 01:53 PM
In feature films what you're doing is called "previs", and nobody does previs with final quality objects. So like Scott said use subpatch level of 1 or even 0 if your objects are subd objects. If they're not, then take them into Modeler and apply Qemloss3 or Reduce Polys and make a very low-poly 'proxy' version of your model. Then do your previs with that, and when you want to render, replace the low-poly object with the final quality one.

viewnathan
09-04-2006, 11:13 AM
Thanks Toby for the reaction, i will try that!
Always good to know what the 'big' guys are doing.....

stevecullum
09-04-2006, 02:36 PM
You can also use curve constraint to create a path for your camera to follow. Create a spline curve in modeler that represents the path you want the camera to take and import it to layout. Add the curve contraint motion plugin to the camera and choose the curve. Adjust speed accordingly.

Warwind
09-04-2006, 03:10 PM
You could try setting opengl subpatch level to 1.
Where is this setting exactly? A couple of the tutorials mention it, and I tried searching the documentation and looking for it in Layout, but I couldn't find it...

bryphi7
09-04-2006, 03:14 PM
select the object, then pres p...

Warwind
09-04-2006, 03:34 PM
select the object, then pres p...
I knew it had to be something embarrassingly simple; thanks!

viewnathan
09-21-2006, 02:01 AM
Any chance that i could change a polygon from the surface where i fly over into a spline curve so that the cam directly folows the surface?

viewnathan

BeeVee
09-21-2006, 02:40 AM
If you select the line of points you want to fly over in Modeler, you can copy them to a second layer and hit Ctrl-p to make a spline from them.

B

viewnathan
09-30-2006, 03:23 AM
Thanx man
That works but how do i get the curve into the graph editor for further editing of the motion? I tried baking but it gives me just keyframes on the 0 on every baked chanel.
Exporting the spline to a motion in modeler is messing up the speed of the cam. (every point becomes 5 frames so the distance between the points makes the speed of the cam.
Another thing that i cant understand is why the camera parented to an object folloing a spline path turns 180 degrees when it goes to the underside of the ball (the cam allways wants it reels up... resuting in a upside down render of the surface of the ball.
(all this to get a smooth camera fly animation between mountains on a planet ball coverd with mountains)

stevecullum
09-30-2006, 05:27 AM
Try exporting the motion path to modeler for cleaning as you have done. Kill the polys if there are any 'k' and then create a spline curve from the points. Import the spline to layout and under the motions panel for camera, add the curve constraint plugin and choose your curve. Select align and the number of frames you want the camera to complete the path in. You camera should now have a 'constrained' speed and follow the path properly.

You can also make use of the camera switcher in the master plugins utility, to have the camera change to this one half way through the animation and then cut back. But be warned, it wont work with screamernet!

:goodluck: