PDA

View Full Version : New quad core 64bit comp came today!

Intuition
09-02-2006, 01:34 PM
Hello fellow wavers.

After tons of research and a few threads I finally bought a 64bit system.

It is a Tyan mobo dual proc (slot 940) setup with two AMD Opteron 270s that are dual core running win XP64.

GForce 7900gtx 512ram

4GBram, to start, and I have just installed Lw9-64bit and am running some renders.

Does anyone have a nice cornell box text I can plug into it for testing render speeds?

:D :D :D :D

I am doing some other tests right now though. ;)

It is water cooled with a few different component.

2 x Swiftech cpu blocks.
Koosah danger den gpu block.
Danger Den Black Ice Pro III radiator. Using two 120mm fans at either 5V or 7V (for quiet operation), air is drawn up through the radiator and vented out the top of the case.

and the coolest thing is the Aqua Computer resevour that pulls bubbles out of the system and just looks D a m n cool. :hey:

ftp://ftp.planetx64.com/movies/pcc-reservoir.wmv

Its interesting in that the hard drives are mounted in the bottom of the case with ample cooling. The fans that are on the case are so quiet I can't really tell they are on unless I flashlight them and see no stopped blades.

Tests to be posted in this thread soon! :lwicon:

hrgiger
09-02-2006, 02:22 PM
Cool. How much was it?

cagey5
09-02-2006, 02:26 PM
That looks to be a really nice set-up. Should make for impressive render speeds.

Intuition
09-02-2006, 02:30 PM
DO I have to answer? :eek:

Its over $5100-$5200 ;D

The case and cooling components are probably $1000 of it. 8~

But I am really happy with it. :D

It can have 32gb ram and I am upgrading to the fastest slot 940 procs around Nov.

Jim_C
09-02-2006, 02:39 PM
Would make one HE!! of a Bong!

Ooops Did I say that?

8/

Captain Obvious
09-02-2006, 07:11 PM
Holy crap. Makes my soon-to-be-delivered Core 2 Duo system look rather silly, I'd say. :(

cresshead
09-02-2006, 07:16 PM
wow!

would love to run a comparison render time's with the macpro running xp64 and see who wins!

Intuition
09-02-2006, 07:41 PM
Holy crap. Makes my soon-to-be-delivered Core 2 Duo system look rather silly, I'd say. :(

Actually the core duos are rated at 40% faster then thier Opteron counterparts at equal ghz. Though I heard they run hotter as well. But that wont matter unless you OC much.

So you may have a really nice system anyways. I almost bought core 2 duos but the price was about $2000 more, dif mobo etc.

Intuition
09-02-2006, 07:43 PM
wow!

would love to run a comparison render time's with the macpro running xp64 and see who wins!

What scene would we test?

Captain Obvious
09-02-2006, 08:12 PM
Actually the core duos are rated at 40% faster then thier Opteron counterparts at equal ghz. Though I heard they run hotter as well. But that wont matter unless you OC much.
I plan on getting at least a 50% overclock... :) But even at the 2.8 GHz that would put it at, it still uses less than 70 watts, I think.

I suggest using the Radiosity box benchmark to test pure raytracing speed, and then something with lots of volumetrics to test volumetric performance. Chances are the Mac Pro comes out on top, but it's not an apples-to-apples comparison (NO pun intended!). The Mac Pro can probably take fewer hard drives than Intuition's system, and uses much more expensive RAM, and so on.

cresshead
09-02-2006, 09:22 PM
run the blanos tests....

www.blanos.com

Intuition
09-02-2006, 10:30 PM
I got a 644.8 secs render on the rad box.

A similar machine, Marcus Staffels, to mine got 1096.5 secs only he was running Lightwave 8 64 bit. I am running Lightwave 9 64bit.

Noticing on that same page that the Intel Core setup with 4 single core procs are getting around half of what I am getting. But thats 4 big procs in one box.

Mac pro should be somewhere in between.

bryphi7
09-02-2006, 11:05 PM
try the perspective cam...

Intuition
09-02-2006, 11:49 PM
Whoa :l33t:

I get 556.6 for switching to the perspective cam.

Thats like a minute and change less then the classic camera. :beerchug:

zapper1998
09-03-2006, 04:36 AM
So do you have any info on that cooling system???

What do your cpu's run temperature wise??

Thanks

Michael

Captain Obvious
09-03-2006, 10:27 AM
Noticing on that same page that the Intel Core setup with 4 single core procs are getting around half of what I am getting. But thats 4 big procs in one box.
Actually, it was a typo by the guy who tested it. He posted about it in a thread here at the forums, and explained that it was a dual Xeon 5160 system (ie, two CPUs with two cores each at 3 GHz).

cresshead
09-03-2006, 12:00 PM
big hint here....

if you are now using lightwave 9 then set your thread to match up with the amount of cores....

running 8 threads with a 4 core pc will mean there will be time wasted processing for no existant cores and re patching to a real core...this is NEW for lightwave 9....render has changed...new architecture so using the OLD way of doubleing threads to core is now counter productive.

Intuition
09-03-2006, 12:35 PM
So do you have any info on that cooling system???

What do your cpu's run temperature wise??

Thanks

Michael

I tried using Everest for seeing the temps. But I was told that unless it is set up right it will be off by 5C. This was on a overclockers forum called "Extreme overclockers".

But it was erratic. It started around 28c for about 20 minutes then it was 32C-35C after that. Then while doing render tests it would sometimes get as high as 40C-43C. The GPU of the Gforce 7900gtx booted at 36C and got to around 50C.

Everest shows cpu temps but also records core temps which were alot hotter then the cpu sensors.

Core 2 under renderload in my first proc was getting to 50C and core 1 was at 47C while the processer (containing both these cores) sensor was saying 32C. So the cpu was 32 and the core inside said alot hotter.

Not sure which one is counting. But, again Everest is said to be off alot unless its specifically set up correctly. It may be right on for all I know. But I'll show temp scores when I get a better handle on setting up the bios hardware and win software sensors correctly.

In any case, if it is right it looks like its running a bit warmer then yours is on fans. ;D :bangwall:

But. Another thing of note is that the fans (antec) on the radiator are set really low (2200 rpm). They are making practically no noise. I know I can increase this setting alot to move the air faster. I think this is why the system warms up after 20 minutes. I bet I can get them going at a 7k speed. This would dispace the heat in the radiator alot better. Only problem is I really can't hear my computer when its on.... it is dead silent.

So I'll be losing the quiet, but...I am going to do it anyways.

Intuition
09-04-2006, 03:53 PM
big hint here....

if you are now using lightwave 9 then set your thread to match up with the amount of cores....

running 8 threads with a 4 core pc will mean there will be time wasted processing for no existant cores and re patching to a real core...this is NEW for lightwave 9....render has changed...new architecture so using the OLD way of doubleing threads to core is now counter productive.

I just tried 4 threads and it did the render at 704.5 seconds.

Maybe the 64bit version can utilize 4 cores better with 8 threads?

cresshead
09-04-2006, 04:07 PM
intersting...i was just quoteing from i remember correctly jay roth from newtek
maybe he was talking about the perspective camera or just got mis quoted...

not sure but it's worth more tests f rom people, to confirm or fold flat the idea.

Intuition
09-04-2006, 04:20 PM
intersting...i was just quoteing from i remember correctly jay roth from newtek
maybe he was talking about the perspective camera or just got mis quoted...

not sure but it's worth more tests f rom people, to confirm or fold flat the idea.

Yeh, I figure there is alot of "untested" terrirory when getting into 64bit systems. On top of that it could be ram, mobo, xp64...a whole slew of parameters.

How did the Mac Pro do on the rad test?

Matt
09-04-2006, 04:30 PM
Intuition I am now officially jealous!!! I want a new computer now! Looks awesome!

Where did you buy it?

Intuition
09-04-2006, 05:09 PM
Intuition I am now officially jealous!!! I want a new computer now! Looks awesome!

Where did you buy it?

Long story.....

......I started research a while back about dual procs with Dual core computers. There is a thread here on the forums somewhere about it.

So I started looking around NewEgg from recommendations on the thread.

After lots of review reading I decided on the AMD procs.

Specifically, this now famous article grabbed my attention.

http://www.planetx64.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5&Itemid=49

Well, Then came the time of adding up different configurations.

I had decided I wanted a few specific things.

1. Dual AMD opterons procs with dual cores.

2. Since I was going with 64bit I wanted a mobo that could have lots of ram. The Tyan line was looked at since they had large ram expandability. This was narrowed down to the KW8 since it had SLI configuration. SO definitely teh Tyan KW8

3. I wanted a large case for this mobo and it was either going to be a Lian li or a SilverStone TJ07.

AT the point of reading reviews for the TJ07 case I came across a video review on the "10" website about custom computer makers "Puget".

I watched the video and saw John Bach of Puget Cutom Computers showing off a Tj07 made system.

So I went to their website and tried to configure a machine based on my specs.

They had most of the options I wanted already built in. But some were not available..like the WIN xp64bit option was not in the OS list. So I sent my config list to thier support with the specifics, how I wanted the system drive seperated from content drive and on and on... I was then sent back to the config and noticed it was updated with every specific thing I wanted and its compatibility.

What I did not think about was the "liquid cooling" part of the system. This idea was completely the craft of Pugets. I was skeptical of water at first but after reading a few articles on "extreme overclockers" forums I read about the benefits of Liquid cooling.

I then researched all of the components to see if I could configure a better system then puget did. Eventually I found out that the Swiftech blocks that they use are the best by a huge margin and these are the ones puget uses. Also, I found out the Laing pump was a highly recommended option but it was not in the config list. Well, I was thinking that they are building the water system so I'll leave that alone.

Turns out after I ordered the system the owner, John Bach, called me personally to tell me that the laing pump was a better option and they could swap it out at no extra cost. So, it turns out they do their research too.

So, I gave it a go and am really happy I did. You can not hear the computer when its turned on. My room fan has to be turned off and then if you put your ear right against the case you can hear the occasional movement of small bubbles in the reservoir. It is that quiet. Not to mention it kills renders with ease.

Matt
09-04-2006, 06:49 PM
Awesome!

The place I had my 'puter built to order no longer offer the service, otherwise I would've gone back to them.

Now I need to find another 'reputable' 'build it like your own' quality service.

I'd love to build one myself, but I just don't have the patience, nor the technical expertise to be confident everything will work fine when I boot it up!

Matt
09-04-2006, 06:56 PM
Don't ya just love those online configurators too, I love maxing everything out just to see how much it would cost!

theo
09-04-2006, 07:35 PM
Awesome!

The place I had my 'puter built to order no longer offer the service, otherwise I would've gone back to them.

Now I need to find another 'reputable' 'build it like your own' quality service.

I'd love to build one myself, but I just don't have the patience, nor the technical expertise to be confident everything will work fine when I boot it up!

You nut! If you can write a screamernet tutorial you can build your own sys! I've snapped a few together and there really isn't much to it to be honest....as long as you buy EVERYTHING from a reputable hardware house.