PDA

View Full Version : Poser 5 for FREE! 4 Days only!!!!

gareee
09-01-2006, 02:01 PM
E-Frontier is giving away Poser 5 for FREE for the next few days. There is a LOT of free content and also commercial content available for them, and you can do not only still images, but also animation as well! (I do poser content for a living.)

Anyway, head over to www.contentparadise.com
Their servers are SWAMPED, and you might not be able to download it until the aftermath of the carnage, but once you have "purchased" it for free, downloads or resets are good forever.

ShawnStovall
09-01-2006, 02:20 PM
Wow...Bryce 5 and now Poser 5!! I'm going to look loaded!:D

gareee
09-01-2006, 04:02 PM
Hey any tool that could provide useful is good in MY book! ;)

I'm grabbing a second P5 license, to either install it on another system networked here, or to do a render farm type thing. (There's actually a network renderfarm utility for poser.)

JamesCurtis
09-01-2006, 06:47 PM
Ordered my download copy, but I'll have to wait a bit to start the download(s) because of the hi volume of traffic for the download servers. That's OK though since it's free!! I wonder if I will then be able to order Poser 6 for a decent upgrade price?

gareee
09-01-2006, 07:21 PM
I'd hold off on ordering Poser 6.. Poser 7is supposedly going to be out this fall.. ;)

And they've reported no less then 50 downloads concurrent a second since starting the promotion non stop!

I'm guessing that'll add about 5,000 new users by the end of the promo. And once you learn the ins and outs, creatig content for poser with lightwave isn't really that hard.

manholoz
09-01-2006, 07:51 PM
I got a message that I had to wait a bit for downloading, but that the download link would not disappear after the promo ended, so probably the timeframe is just for "buying" it, not for downloading it

BazC
09-02-2006, 12:30 AM
Thanks for the heads up! I ordered my copy but couldn't download. The message assured me that the download would be available indefinately though! :D

lilrayray77
09-02-2006, 06:38 AM
what are the advantages of poser over lightwave?

manholoz
09-02-2006, 07:00 AM
I'ld say Poser is more a tool, an accessory, an external plugin than a direct competitor to Lightwave.

Poser is great for posing human figures. How real they look despends on how convincing the pose is, as well as other thingies. It is certainly no guarantee that your out-of-the-box poser figure with stock clothes and poses will look lifelike, patient tweaking is involved, but it certainly can be a timesaver if used correctly.

Lightwave is for lots of other things too. So I would not compare Poser vs Lightwave per se.

Anyway, being free right now, you can download it and see for yourself if it catches your fancy.

JamesCurtis
09-02-2006, 07:03 AM
lilrayray77 - "what are the advantages of poser over lightwave?"

The biggest is the wealth of content that's available for it, and most of it is converable to LW. in fact, I'm working on a project right now, which, if I had to create ALL of the props myself in LW, the budget and time needed would NOT be doable.

Also, if you need a fairly quick character animation using mocap, Poser works pretty well.

I had Poser 4 up till now, and will be glad to add version 5.

manholoz
09-02-2006, 07:20 AM
It just occurred to me. There are lots of free props for Poser only (which once in, you can export) which are quite detailed, and others for a very reasonable price, usually below US$50, some are real bargains. Not everything of course, but you would be surprised at some Poser stuff they sell in the internet

JamesCurtis
09-03-2006, 10:31 AM
Still trying to get it downloaded. Will probably have to wait until after the 4th to do it though, because of the high traffic. I had it started once, but it was at so slow a speed, it would have taken days. Eventually it got dropped for some reason anyhow.

I wish they would have set up a couple mirror download sites to handle this. It's just a bit frustrating, but for free, well???

gareee
09-03-2006, 10:43 AM
They did add additional servers, but they stated early yesterday that at any given second, there were 50 accesses for the P5 download!

I can't even imagine how many copies they are giving away, and many people (like myself) already have P6, but are getting a few additional P5 licenses and NOT downloading it now.

BTW, if you get multiple licenses, you only need the one download, and then just register each with the different serial numbers... and mulitpkle copies of poser can b installed without interfering with each other.

Also, a VITAL tip: make SURE you also download the latest patch, SR patch, jus incase this most recent download is unpatched.

hrgiger
09-03-2006, 12:20 PM
Did the server crash? The website won't come up now.

gareee
09-03-2006, 01:56 PM
No things are just *very* slow last I read...Best bet might be to try during off hours...

StereoMike
09-03-2006, 02:59 PM
I get a "Product not available!....

Mike

loki74
09-03-2006, 03:48 PM
Okay I'm dling this just because its free... but I'm still a little shaky as to the purpose of the program.

Well, character posing, that much is obvious. But it's clear that they sell huge on the pre-made content type stuff. I'd rather create completely original content. I think it would be cool if poser could output a low-res base mesh so that you could do the heavy modeling in LW. Is that possible? Is it possible to create, from nothing, a facial or body mesh in Poser? Or are you stuck with tweaking the pre made stuff?

inquisitive
09-04-2006, 01:23 AM
i have been using off and on poser 3 - was included for free in one of those UK magazines. I think poser6 works better with LW (or so i have read) but hey, this should not be too bad.

KillMe
09-04-2006, 03:24 AM
its free - so i grabbed - not been able to download yet though

zapper1998
09-04-2006, 07:09 AM
54% downloaded, @ 6:07am my time, this is like real slow, between 14.2 KB/sec and 55 KB/sec, wow server must be swamped....

gareee
09-04-2006, 07:41 AM
Yep.. they reported no less the 50 accesses to the file per SECOND the first da, and the news has spread even further by now!

Makes me wonder just how many free copies are actually being given away. That's a LOT of new users!

Signal to Noise
09-04-2006, 10:17 AM
Makes me wonder just how many free copies are actually being given away. That's a LOT of new users!

Which means a LOT of "quality" CG art will be flooding the internet shortly!

gareee
09-04-2006, 10:44 AM
Check my reply in the free bryce thread...

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=55912&goto=newpost

Tools do not dictate artwork quality.. the artists does...

Signal to Noise
09-04-2006, 11:09 AM
Tools do not dictate artwork quality.. the artists does...

Really? I never knew that.

(Re: my original comment - sarcasm is lost in print form on the 'net)

gareee
09-04-2006, 11:48 AM
And I did take that as sarcasm.. assuming that any tool dictates it's use, and the quality of the artwork it produces.. yes, it can limit options, but I've seen excellent renders done 10 years ago, and te tools available then were very primitive compared with what we have available today.

And some artwork starts with a simple render, and is then enhanced with other 2d digital tools.

There is a huge 3d community "snobbishness" against some tools. free ones, more bsic ones, and some snobbishnesseven towards tools like Vue, because every single thing in a scene isn't hand built poly by poly.

Those days are passing us by, and being replaced by the melting of many different tools that can be used in image creation.

Its very akin to artists 10 years ago, saying that computers simply could not be used to create "artwork",that it had to be done by hand, with "real world" tools only.. and as many people said, those opinions have been proven untrue.

loki74
09-04-2006, 01:57 PM
There is a huge 3d community "snobbishness" against some tools. free ones, more bsic ones, and some snobbishnesseven towards tools like Vue, because every single thing in a scene isn't hand built poly by poly.

Indeed! I would ask that person if they thought using MoCap is not a legitimate way to produce animation? Or perhaps every piece of furniture on a set in every film should be hand-carved and painted by the director? Hmm....

Now, dont get me wrong--what I do have problems with is that looping stock footage, or 3D equivalent. As in, the STAR of your CG film was bought off of Content Paradise. Or literially EVERYTHING in the scene was purchased from TurboSquid. Ah-ah. No. That is no longer art.

JamesCurtis
09-05-2006, 10:20 PM
Finally got Poser 5 downloaded today, but I still am trying to get the Content CD file downloaded. Will try again early Wednesday morning, I guess. Seems like they may have extended the time length of the giveaway because of all of the response to the deal. It's still up as far as I can tell.

Digital Hermit
09-05-2006, 11:12 PM
Just an FYI... Poser 4 Pro - "for those who don't know" is the only app that has the "Poser Displacement Plug-in." As far as i know it only works for that program... I don't think it works with Daz, Poser 5 or 6 meshes.

Can anyone else confim that?

Thanx,

Digital Hermit

zapper1998
09-06-2006, 07:09 AM
now the web site is gone, I knew it was a shammmm

JamesCurtis
09-06-2006, 08:13 AM
I installed Poser 5 and it works with the serial I got. [I actually ordered 2] Yeah, it seems the site is down for now, but I had the same issue a few days ago. The e-frontier site [the actual Poser 5 seller?] is also not coming up right now - I want to officially register my Poser 5 with them. Will try again later today. They could be having server trouble.

I think everything is on the up and up though!!

inquisitive
09-06-2006, 10:10 AM
I was just able to download the exe but instead of being the 250+ mb file that it said it was before it was only 4mb is that correct? how large is each of the files?

zapper1998
09-06-2006, 02:53 PM
wow it downloaded finally
293.171 Kb, setup exe
wow next.,

T-Light
09-06-2006, 03:17 PM
Cheers, don't know if I'll have a use for it these days but it's worth a look. Thanks :)

Friend told me about Bryce the other day so I've returned the favour and sent him the link, don't know if anyone's mentioned it but the offers now extended till Friday midnight.

fyborg_1138
09-06-2006, 06:54 PM
I was able to get most of the exe on Monday. However, I was monitoring the process since it was so slow and it got to ~50% and said download complete at 130MB. Hmmm. I don't think it was a complete download. Anyway, no luck on getting part two or even a complete part 1. Their site has been crawling along all week. I just checked their site a minute ago and its completely down again. Sigh. :grumpy: Nothing like a crash and burn on a web site.

JamesCurtis
09-06-2006, 11:29 PM
Best thing I can tell you all is to keep trying. I'm still trying to get the Content CD zip file downloaded, but that's not crucial since I have plenty of Daz3d and other site's objects that I can play with. I've been downloading Free objects from DAZ once a week for the last 4 years and from Zygote even before that. I've gotten a treasure trove of stuff this way.

R Haseltine
09-07-2006, 08:38 AM
Better to wait, if you don't need it immediately. All those failed downloads are just clogging up their bandwidth, CP has been around for a while so you should be safe to wait a week (or even two) before downloading.

borkus
09-07-2006, 08:00 PM
i finally got thru (3 a.m. in the morning) and got the setup.exe file and the content file. but when i start the setup.exe file, it sends my computer in a loop and have to hard restart. do i need to open the content cd file first? doesn't make much sense. and also, i thought somewhere it said that as long as you placed the order before the time limit was up, friday, you could still download for free anytime. many thanks for any help

fyborg_1138
09-07-2006, 09:05 PM
Its hard to say what the problem is. If the exe is only a partial file and corrupt, then it wouldn't install properly, requiring a cold reboot to regain control. I just tried to connect to contentparadise and e-frontier web sites and they both are down right now. Its not a good sign. Personally, I may give up on it and walk away for at least a couple of weeks (or more). I was mostly curious about the software and don't really need it.

SP00
09-07-2006, 09:42 PM
I think I'm going to wait, I had 2 downloads of both files and all 4 of them only partially completed. At this rate, I will eat up all of my 10 downloads. I think the end of this month should be safe.

JamesCurtis
09-08-2006, 08:27 AM
Spoo,

I think they made mention that, for the Poser files, they would remain available in your My Stuff folder indefinately, but, yeah, I'm waiting until after the order deadline has been well passed by to get my Content file downloaed. The program one was seccessfully downloaded a few days ago. I got lucky I think!!

Signal to Noise
09-08-2006, 12:16 PM
It's hilarious to see people getting excited and putting up with slow downloads for....POSER!

Oh, the irony. :D

JamesCurtis
09-08-2006, 09:27 PM
Hey, what do you expect - IT'S FREE!!!

And to be honest - it aint bad either. I can get Poser stuff into Vue 5 Infinite for some quick character work!!

fyborg_1138
09-09-2006, 05:35 AM
Yep, its free, and its doing what they want it to do: attract attention to their site. It's apparently working too well. According to their web site they have added over 30,000 new members since the promotion began and are limiting downloads to 200 per hour. It will probably be a month before the dust settles. I'm having lots of fun... waiting.

Warwind
09-09-2006, 09:19 AM
Now I get "Access Denied" when I try to download the two files...

Lord Snarebotto
09-09-2006, 10:06 AM
I had no luck downloading with Firefox. Got the setup file first time with IE.

The download accelerator in Firefox apparently is causing some problems. I haven't been able to get the content file, but that is probably mostly irrelevant at this point. I'll try for that in a nother few days.

inquisitive
09-10-2006, 09:54 PM
finally was able to download both files. Does Poser5 require a minimum of 1024 screen rez or is there a way to have it start in 800x600?

JamesCurtis
09-10-2006, 09:59 PM
Got both files now too!! Not as much in the Content Disc file as i was hoping, but hey, what the heck!

Noticed now too that they are still running a special price of sorts - not FREE anymore - but $19.99. Still not a bad deal.