PDA

View Full Version : Tricaster - MAC Final Cut Pro compatibility

Paul Ehman
08-31-2006, 05:19 PM
We recently bought a Tricaster Pro to do live switching and quick on-site editing. We love this thing. How about creating a codec for back and forth compatibility between the Tricaster and Macs running Final Cut Pro?
Thanks...

incredulous
09-01-2006, 06:09 PM
I second that. Biggest drawback of the Tricaster so far is the inability to easily transfer the files to my Mac laptop to finetune edits for future use.

Very frustrating.

Zane Condren
09-05-2006, 12:19 PM
This can be resolved by bringing the clip into TriCaster Edit and hitting "Prepare for VCR" this creates a standard DV avi. Also TriCaster and TriCaster Pro can both playback standard DV avi's which Final Cut can render to.

DrVideo
09-07-2006, 12:10 PM
This can be resolved by bringing the clip into TriCaster Edit and hitting "Prepare for VCR" this creates a standard DV avi. Also TriCaster and TriCaster Pro can both playback standard DV avi's which Final Cut can render to.

The point is that we should'nt have to re-render a 2 hour show just to add lower thirds or tighten up a video for playout. We are all under such tight timelines anyway. Having to do more work inorder to use the tricaster kind of defeats the purpose of switching a live event. I might as well ISO the job and multi-cam it in FCP.

Please, just give us the option of being able to choose a quicktime DV codec or Dv AVI instead of the propriatary NT25 format. :agree:

Chilton
09-07-2006, 12:32 PM
Hi DrVideo,

I am officially one of the Mac guys on the LightWave team here at NewTek, but I'll be happy to look into this for you, and get back with you.

How are you currently getting video into FCP?

-Chilton

DrVideo
09-11-2006, 01:04 PM
I'm going to FCP the only way possible and that is to re-render from NT25 to AVI then Copy it to the G5 over GIGE from the Tricaster.

charlieabbottuk
10-04-2006, 09:26 AM
Can I add my support for this feature request.

We are using our Tricaster to record staff meetings which are then later pocast to our US office. The US office has QuickTime not WMP so instead of just exporting from our wonderful little black box we have to get it onto the G5, then convert to QuickTime.

While I'm here - what is happening with the Mac version of iVGA?

Thanks.

Sledgehammer
10-05-2006, 06:32 PM
Would installing Quicktime Pro allow the Tricaster to save a file in Quicktime?

pnelson
10-12-2006, 12:37 AM
Quicktime PRO even on the PC locks you out of importing many AVI codecs files, including NT25. I'm not sure why Apple makes things so closed but it would be nice if it worked. :)

Sledgehammer
10-12-2006, 04:25 PM
I was suggesting the possibility of recording a .mov if QT Pro was installed. Phillip. Your reply suggests importing a .avi into QT Pro.

If not, perhaps it would be possible to write a hook to allow QT recording if QT Pro is installed.

Randy Mills
10-18-2006, 11:07 PM
I too would like to see recording in QT .mov format, that way integration between Tricaster and Final Cut Pro would be seamless. (the grass is always greener approach...)

DrVideo
10-27-2006, 12:29 PM
Newtek, Please Add Quicktime Recording to the Tricaster.

:agree:

tomyhomy
07-20-2011, 07:54 AM
Yep.

Please add support for Final Cut !

SBowie
07-20-2011, 07:59 AM
Most if not all TriCasters have the ability to convert captured files to Quicktime in one or another format. Along among the models at the moment, TCXD850 can record directly as .mov.

bbailey
07-27-2011, 12:08 PM
I use Tricaster Broadcast to do a 4-camera plus slo-mo production of high school football and I produce several other long format shows with my TCB and I edit in FCP on my Intel Mac. I don't have to render any thing before I start adding lower thirds, score banners or other graphics.

I had a start up cost of $3500 but my solution works with my TCB in SD and with my XD300 in HD. I always record in the Tricaster as a backup.

My solution is AJA KI PRO. I bought two additional drives for it and really love it. I record audio from a small Mackie mixer straight to the Tricaster's audio in and to the KI Pro audio in. Like I said, I record video in the Tricaster and come out SDI to the KI PRO.

When I pull the drive from the KI PRO, after properly shutting it down, I just plug in the Firewire 800 into my Mac, power up and launch my FCP. I can begin editing right away. Once finished and output from my Mac, I can then delete the files from the KI PRO drive and I'm ready for the next show.

If I have a problem with the KI PRO files, I have a backup in my Tricaster that can be played out thru the SDI, either to my Mac or to the KI PRO.

I've found this to be the perfect solution to my situation.

csandy
07-27-2011, 09:51 PM
Most if not all TriCasters have the ability to convert captured files to Quicktime in one or another format. Along among the models at the moment, TCXD850 can record directly as .mov.

Do you mean the Extreme Steve? Or did I miss an update (wouldn't be the first time)?

SBowie
07-28-2011, 05:52 AM
Do you mean the Extreme Steve? Or did I miss an update (wouldn't be the first time)?Yes, I did mean EXTREME, thanks Colin.

tomyhomy
07-28-2011, 08:29 AM
What do you guys mean with EXTREME ??

SBowie
07-28-2011, 08:36 AM
This: http://www.newtek.com/tricaster/tricaster_850extreme.php

tomyhomy
07-28-2011, 08:40 AM
Thanks

jmmultex
07-28-2011, 06:00 PM
And there I was getting all excited that the regular 850 got an update for this :).

-john

GeekNews
07-28-2011, 08:53 PM
Believe me I have spent a bunch of money to overcome Final Cut short coming of the Tricaster. Ultimately it was cheaper to buy Adobe Premier and record the master file with another device.

Sadly there is no need for me to ever record to the tricasters hard drive ever again...

But it was a lot less than the 12-14k upgrade price and the end product is now magnitudes better than anything I have ever been able to produce in the tricaster and at a lower bitrate.

And there I was getting all excited that the regular 850 got an update for this :).

-john

GeekNews
07-31-2011, 10:53 AM
?? Last i checked their was not an upgrade that allowed a straight 850 to record directly to .mov If there is, and it doesn't cost 13k please point me where it is!

SBowie
07-31-2011, 03:20 PM
?? Last i checked their was not an upgrade that allowed a straight 850 to record directly to .mov If there is, and it doesn't cost 13k please point me where it is!Please see posts #16 and 17, sorry for the unintentional confusion.

jmmultex
08-03-2011, 08:42 AM
Not sure if Newtek is ready to answer this, but is the Extreme's ability to record MOV directly based on additional hardware in the unit, or is this something that could - at least conceivably - make it's way to the baseline 850.

I'm not looking for a commitment from Newtek to do it, just an understanding if this would even be possible without additional hardware being thrown in...

Of course - a commitment would be nice if one were to come along.... :)

Thanks,

john

csandy
08-03-2011, 08:53 AM
I'm not looking for a commitment from Newtek to do it, just an understanding if this would even be possible without additional hardware being thrown in...

I'm not NewTek, but I'll answer anyways because it's a basic question:

"yes" to the second question and "yes" to the first question. The first question could also be answered "no," depending on your definition of hardware. It's completely honest to answer "yes" to both questions.

About a NewTek commitment - good luck with that. It would be nice to get the features, as others have suggested in the past, of the Extreme that can be handled by the non-Sandy Bridge processors and the older graphics cards in the original 850 design.

Maybe NewTek will decide to do this, and maybe it will cost less than adding external recording devices.

tomyhomy
08-03-2011, 09:03 AM
So guys. Nice for people who can afford the 850 or 850 extreme.
We have only a Broadcast model and my problem is as follow:

1- If I record in Studio profile and import the recorded MPEG files to Final Cut, there is no picture and no sound.

2- If I use the normal recording profile and import the so recorded file to Final Cut, I have picture but no sound.

I bought and installed the QuickTime MPEG component and installed it on my iMac, but it did not help at all. Are there different version of QuickTime MPEG component?

Is there any way to import with TriCaster Boradcast recorded files in to Final Cut? I know that I can convert them in TriCaster and then import to Final Cut. But I am looking for a solution to import with TriCaster recorded files directly to Final Cut.

Any idea??

Many thanks

csandy
08-03-2011, 10:12 AM
In the normal profile, the separate MP3 audio file doesn't work? You should be able to just dump it onto the timeline if your video is otherwise fine.

Zane Condren
08-03-2011, 10:42 AM
You need to select the option to record the seperate MP3 file.

tomyhomy
08-04-2011, 08:00 AM
Thanks for your replies.
But this way, I have first to convert the mp3 files to AIFF format in order to be able to import them in to Final Cut. Am I right?

csandy
08-04-2011, 08:04 AM
No, just drop onto your timeline.

Try it out and come back to the forum to let us know how it worked out for you.

tomyhomy
08-04-2011, 02:42 PM
Wow, it works!
Thanks a lot for your help.

csandy
08-04-2011, 03:22 PM
Any time, Homy.

Always wanted to say that. :)