PDA

View Full Version : Discovery Edition Limits?

voon
08-31-2006, 12:38 PM
Hi there,

I'm reviewing various 3D apps (so far, cinema 4d, strata 3d, maya, and now lightwave) so I can make a recommendation to my boss on which one we may be able to use for doing quick renders of current products and mocks of custom products. I love the modeller in Lightwave (I'm a long-term photoshop and illustrator user used to things like layers and fine-tuning controls) except selections are kind of a pain and you seem to have to know all the hotkeys to do anything.

Anyhow, I keep seeing boxes all over the renders I am trying with the images I am doing in Layout - the render is great until WHAM! boxes over everything. They look like the photoshop transparency boxes. I wanted to know if that was just because I am on the discovery version or if I am doing something way wrong in Layout.

-Jonathan

Sekhar
08-31-2006, 12:53 PM
The boxes in layout are because of discovery mode; you'll also run into a 400 point limit in the modeler.

voon
08-31-2006, 12:58 PM
Ah, was afraid of that. Thanks for the response! :)

-Jonathan

gjjackson
08-31-2006, 01:45 PM
If you get the LW9 discovery edition there is no limitations. Everything works as the commercial product except there's a 30 day limit. I don't know if it's on the website yet. After the 30days it reverts to the discovery edition with it's limitations.