PDA

View Full Version : To Hub or not to Hub

MLynch
08-31-2006, 07:08 AM
LW 9 has been very stable for me (running on a G5 Qaud, 4 GB RAM, 7800GT, OS 10.4.7). When I first installed v9 I moved the Hub and it's .cmndln file out of the Programs folder (just out of habit). While it was out of the picture I had no crashes. I just recently moved it back (last week) to see how well LW 9 would run with the Hub active. So far I've crashed once in Modeler - no crashes in Layout. The crash actually occured as I was quitting out of Modeler.

So is it me or does the Hub seem more stable in LW's most recent incarnation? And I'm curious as to how many others are using the Hub in v9, and how many aren't.

Chilton - did you guys work on stabalizing the Hub for v9? If you did then I appreciate it. If not... well then I'm just pleased that Modeler and Layout play a little more nicely with it than in v8.

Chilton
08-31-2006, 08:30 AM
Chilton - did you guys work on stabalizing the Hub for v9? If you did then I appreciate it. If not... well then I'm just pleased that Modeler and Layout play a little more nicely with it than in v8.

Yes, we did spend some time improving hub stability for 9. There are still some issues though, which we're trying to track down now.

-Chilton

MLynch
08-31-2006, 08:42 AM
Thanks, Chilton. And I'm glad to hear that. :thumbsup:

Chilton
08-31-2006, 09:41 AM
That is one freaky dino baby.

eblu
08-31-2006, 11:34 AM
re: hub
chilton, its a mess. about once every 3 days the hub throws up. its usually because it has corrupted its pref/config file, but you Never know that in advance, so you always have difficulty with it. then you have trouble with modeller talking to LW, and if your not careful, you save over an important file (not knowing which app has the most current version of the object, or worse, having had made changes to the object in modeller and Layout, thinking the Hub was coordinating the changes... you have to lose one set of changes.), or (and this is my favorite) the problems with the hub cause a crash in one of the other apps, causing it to corrupt it's config files.
I really wish Lightwave/modeller/Hub would follow some modern standards* when saving files. then we could avoid many of these corrupted configs.

* currently Lightwave appears to open a file, wipe out its contents, and then write the new contents into it and then close it, during a save operation. This is bad because there is a long time, where None of the old data or the new data, is on magnetic media. the "safer" way to do this is to write a temp file, check it, remove the old file, and rename the new file to the name of the old file. that way, in the event of a crash, you don't lose everything. And this IS a pet peeve of mine... changes to configs TAKE EFFECT immediately. None of this "i write out changes to configs, when you quit out of the program." changes get written to configs, as they are made. its 2006, not 1978. its not too much to ask that changes, take effect when you make the changes.

re: dino baby
"not the mamma" that thing looks better than the original.

gatz
08-31-2006, 12:35 PM
I prefer that the crashing with "Replace with Object File" gets ironed out before any hub issues.

While the Rw/OF crashes occasionally, the crashes are somewhat predictable. Hub will crash, lock up models (unsaveable) and cause general mayhem when its active. With it's track record Hub will have to work, and work flawlessly for quite some time before it earns my trust.

rg

BazC
08-31-2006, 03:17 PM
With it's track record Hub will have to work, and work flawlessly for quite some time before it earns my trust.

I agree, in fact why not unify the app and do away with the hub altogether, theres no reason why it couldn't be configured to work like 2 seperate apps. It's an old argument I know but it makes sense to me! :D

avkills
08-31-2006, 03:54 PM
Why not have a separate memory space or mini-app that stores all the objects you are working on; You use that app to open all models, and then each app pulls info from that as such when you switch from Modeler to Layout, they are both reading model data from the same place.

-mark

MLynch
09-01-2006, 07:56 AM
...sigh... ...OK, it looks like I spoke too soon. I crashed 4 times last night while in Layout... And all within the course of an hour. ...So I moved the Hub and its Command Line file out of the Programs folder again. Once they were gone I ran smoothly. ...Well I appreciate the efforts to make the Hub more stable, but it looks like I'm going back to working without it. And I have to agree with BacZ.

So unfortunately, until the Hub is working, or NT unifies LW, or keeps the 2 apps (but allows them to communicate without the Hub - which I think is the best option for now) I'll be working without it.

And thanks for the compliment, eblu - but my avatar actually is the original Baby Sinclair... It's a cropped promotional photo done for the show that I found on the web somewhere. I'd love to take credit for creating the image, but it's not mine. :)

hgoldman
11-13-2006, 08:15 AM
i crash at least 5 times a day due to the hub running and i need to use it.

are real pain...

needs attention....

Chilton
11-13-2006, 09:25 AM
hgoldman,

Join Open Beta. There you will receive new stuffs. We've fixed some hub things there. We'll probably fix more, if they come up. That's where it's happening, first.

-Chilton

CAClark
11-13-2006, 09:32 AM
I've had recurring problems with starting modeller and the hub crashing out immediately. Modeller continues to run. Once I quit modeller, I am unable to run either layout or modeller, as they crash on launch. Only way to work around it seems to be restarting OSX.

That's Intel based running the most up to date version of OSX.

Whether it is the hub at fault is debatable, it's just frustrating.

Cheers!

Dreamer
11-13-2006, 10:49 AM
The hub works intermitently for me. Sometimes the F12 or the icon in the window works and sometimes it doesn't. I can rarely send an object from modelor to layout becuase I get the dialogue box that says it can't find the object even though the file path is set. Synchronize layout doesn't work either.The oddest behavior is when I set up file paths they are never recognized. I don't know if this is hub related or not.