PDA

View Full Version : ClothFX questions

pawn707
08-30-2006, 06:18 PM
I'm starting with ClothFx after people said that Motion Designer was a little "old school".

Anyhoo, I was having pretty good luck with ClothFX until now when, after hitting "calculate" LW gives me a warning popup that states "ClothFX: zero weight nodes!!".

The deformation looks "ok" after this (collision is a little off though) but the main problem is when hitting Render the geometry is not affected at all --it's still just a rigid set of poly's and doesn't resemble the Layout window at all.

What did I miss? I had good luck with it before but now I must have hit a setting or something. Why would it look ok in the Layout viewport but not the render?

Thanks.:lwicon:

meshpig
08-31-2006, 05:31 AM
... you have to save each of the FX files individually after calculating. Reload them and the scene will run properly.

M

pawn707
08-31-2006, 01:17 PM
... you have to save each of the FX files individually after calculating. Reload them and the scene will run properly.

M

Thanks. While we're here I have another question.

I'm having good luck making realistic collision of a sheet falling over a "gear". However when the gravity gets to be too much you can start to see lots of places where the gear is piercing the sheet and sometimes the gear tears right through to the sheet.

Before I start running more simulations, does anyone know which settings specifically I can play with to remedy this?

For instance, I'd like to have a sheet fall over the gear and start sliding off towards the floor (which I've alreayd achieved) BUT I'd like the sheet to stop and "hold" once it realistically can't slide off the gear anymore (before it starts tearing through)..

I'm having lots of fun w/ ClothFX, thanks for any help in advance. ..!!:)

Dodgy
08-31-2006, 01:58 PM
The friction in the collision settings will hold the sheet in place, whilst the radius/level in the collision settings of the collision object or collision offset in the collision tab of the cloth object's properties with stop them intersecting.

pawn707
09-02-2006, 12:45 AM
Cool thanks again for the help.

Two more questions for anyone who's up for it:

1) To affect my sheet with wind (to make it look more like a falling sheet and less like a piece of deforming cardboard), do I need to apply wind to the sheet or do I make a null then apply wind to that null?

2) And I've got objects for this sheet to wraparound. Right now I have a sphere with clothFX applied and all the poly's are set with "fix:<all>"

But would it make more sense to make it a hardFX object? Or do I need both to be clothFX in order to get proper collision? That's kind of counter-intuitive --seems like the sphere would make more sense to be a rigid object rather than a "cloth" object...?

Thanks again....:thumbsup:

meshpig
09-02-2006, 05:18 AM
Your sheet shouldn't look like deforming cardboard... does it have enough faceted subdivisions and is it subpatched?

If you're using 8.0 you can still use the FX browser in place of adding dynamics in properties/dynamics; you can organise Wind from there in the environment panel without having to add a null, but best to use one and add Wind from properties/add dynamics...

You don't need hardFX going from how you have described the scene; as Dodgy says you affect the target with the available settings. Hence using the latter.

:) M

pawn707
09-02-2006, 05:54 PM
Your sheet shouldn't look like deforming cardboard... does it have enough faceted subdivisions and is it subpatched?

I should clarify.

In my tests I want a sheet to fall to the ground then conform around a sphere. The deformation itself is beautiful --but when it's "falling" it is completely flat. No turbulance, etc. I'd like at least a little bit of random flutter as it drops, like a real piece of cloth likely would.

(The cloth has an even Weight Map, BTW. All points are the same value)

So should I add wind to get a little bit of realistic flutter as it falls? Or am I missing something else?

Thanks again.

Dodgy
09-03-2006, 05:35 AM
That will be it. If you don't have any external forces on it it will be uniform in it's motion, so you should add a drag wind with a turbulence texture in the strength field.