PDA

View Full Version : LightWave educational eligibility?

Defiance
08-30-2006, 10:39 AM
One of my roommates wants to get into 3D and since he's still in school, he wants to get the educational license. I haven't been able to figure out if his program is eligible. He has one year left in a 4 year engineering program. We were checking out the Newtek agreement form from Studica.com and saw that you needed to be enrolled in a minimum 2 year program and needed 6 "credit hours."

Here's what we don't know: what's a credit hour? At our school, each course counts as 0.5 units (but these units are the school's own unit and don't mean anything in terms of "credits" at other schools, except 0.5 units = a course). He's taking 5 courses starting in September and each course is 3 hours a week. This is a full course load under the school and the Canadian government's definition. Also, does he have to have 2 years left in the program or is it that the program must be at least 2 years in length?

Finally, what's acceptable as proof? Our student IDs don't have an issue date and the registrar's office is a pain in the butt when it comes to issuing letters. Also, our class schedules don't list "credit hours", they just list the start/end times for lectures and how many "units" the courses are worth.

Anyway, he's just getting a bit frustrated by looking up the definitions.

Warwind
08-30-2006, 10:46 AM
I bought my copy of Lightwave at "www.academicsuperstore.com". I had to email them a scan of my student ID (no date on mine either), a photo ID, and my school bill listing my classes for the current semester. They keep that on file for subsequent purchases also, which is convenient.

Hope this helps!

iconoclasty
08-30-2006, 11:17 AM
I bought from academicsuperstore.com a while back and all I sent in was my Student ID, which was basically just my picture, my name and the school's name. I don't think it matters what classes you're taking so long as you're a student somewhere.

Defiance
08-30-2006, 12:45 PM
So what did you guys send in as proof to Newtek when you sign the agreement form?

Zane Condren
08-30-2006, 03:42 PM
defiance please give me a call at 1-800-368-5441 ext. 3.

Defiance
08-31-2006, 10:47 PM
I'll get him to call when we get the phones set up next week, thanks.

Warwind
08-31-2006, 11:40 PM
So what did you guys send in as proof to Newtek when you sign the agreement form?
What agreement form? Newtek wasn't involved in the sale at all, and all I did when I got the software is register it online to get my license key.

iconoclasty
09-01-2006, 08:42 AM
Same here. I don't know if they've changed something in the last few years, but I didn't have to bother with any agreement form.

Liber777
09-01-2006, 12:44 PM
Does NewTek's educational licensing policy cover grammar school?

My son is eleven years old and he impressed me tremendously with his creativity recently in putting together a project of his own on my VT[4] system with VT-Edit and some morphing software. He had a blast doing this and I'd like to help him continue.

I've ordered more memory for his laptop and I'd like to get him some 2D animation software, a copy of LightWave 9, and an intuitive editing program. I'm wondering if there will be an educational license available for SpeedEDIT, since he had the knack of VT-Edit down in no time at all.

Thanks,
Stivan

androidmaker
09-02-2006, 03:42 PM
Liber777 try this link for info http://www.academicsuperstore.com/market/marketdisp.html?PartNo=742726

Liber777
09-08-2006, 03:09 PM
Thanks, androidmaker.

Liber777
09-08-2006, 03:11 PM
sooooo.....

Does NewTek plan to have an educational license version of SpeedEDIT?

Thanks,
Stivan