PDA

View Full Version : ScreamerNet for LW 9 & XP pro

Ivan_B
08-30-2006, 07:00 AM
Hi there..
Could someone PLEASE point me to a tutorial that deals specifically with setting up ScreamerNet on XP pro using LW 9?.(Or could someone please make one). I have read a whole bunch of threads and available tutes, including MATTS video tute and PDF, but things are slightly different with XP & LW9..and I'm really not that smart, but I can follow images very well, the moving ones are even better...Seriously, trying to read heaps of print gets very confusing, in particular the termanology.
Please & Thank you.
Ivan.

dballesg
08-30-2006, 08:05 AM
Hi,

What differences you encountered between 9 and 8? Screamernet setup it is exactly equal for both.

If you post your specific questions, maybe I can help.

Best regards,
David

zapper1998
08-30-2006, 09:20 AM
I finally got it working on WIN XP 64 Pro, wow, what a bugger it was..

StereoMike
08-30-2006, 11:38 AM
Hey Zapper, what problems did you have? How did you solved them?
Cause right now I wasn't successful yet.
Win x64 that is.
None of the rendermanagers I tried (harpoon, amleto) was able to start lwsn.

Mike

ScottSullivan
08-30-2006, 02:43 PM
Have you tried copying the NEW program directory (LW9's Programs folder) to each of the render nodes or are you still using the old LW8 programs on the other computers?

Also, are you starting LW in "screamernet-mode" by using the custom .bat file?

StereoMike
08-31-2006, 12:18 AM
I just want to use my four cpus (on the same pc) independently from each other. Amleto does some copying when starting a scene, but gives an error on not being able to start lwsn. I didn't went into screamernet itself at all...

Mike

dballesg
08-31-2006, 02:34 AM
Hi Mike,

We have Win x64 here on all our workstations and nodes. But we use Butterfly Net Render to manage them from another "server" computer with Win x32.

To do tests with Vue xStream, I needed to setup a Screamernet on the old fashion way, and I did it following Matt Gronner tut.

If you tell us "specifically" what it is not working for you, maybe we can help.

To ScottSullivan:

You do not really need to copy LWSN to all the nodes, if you setup a shared drive in ONE computer, or use UNC paths from the nodes to connect a shared directory on the main one, it works.

Amleto and other managers, do local copies of all the LW programs and plugins dir, for example instead BNR use a copy of those directories that it doest himself.

Best regards,
David

Ivan_B
08-31-2006, 02:45 AM
Hey people...
I think I got it to work...There is an excelent tutorial in Dan Ablans Inside Lightwave 8..which has more than enough info and it uses xp..In saying that, I think it works because I cant save anything, as I sent my bad dongle off to be replaced, so I'm working in discovery mode (cant save scene) and I think the .cfg files dont update/save my changes as well (could someone confirm that please).
Anyway got the .bat files to run on all 5 pc's, found all 5 cpu's in the network render panel and it looked like it could have started rendering (like I said couldn't save scene etc) I loaded up a scene from the panel and hit render..it started then CRASHED..(just to see what happens)...Still got some stuff to do, to confirm that it works, when I get my NEW DONGLE....
I have a question..Is there a way to run all the .bat files from my master pc, rather then on each pc on the network?..I've only got 5 pc's so its not that bad...but I'd like to be able to do it. I created sortcuts of .bat files from all 5 pc's onto my master desktop and was able to run all of them just fine.
When this is all up and running correctly I'm going to make my own video tutorial with a little more detail and outlining the small differences when using xp.
I WANT MY DONGLE...dont get me started!!!
I also use Vue 5 infinte..I'm waiting for 6 and xstream 6 and would be very interested in how to setup for render farm. I suppose all the rendering is done in LW using the above method. (haven't used Xstream).

palpal
08-31-2006, 04:37 AM
Even if one does not have a controller software like tequila, I found chepes tutorial on how to set up screamernet very good... http://www.digitaltoons.tv/shop/

That is for LW8, but I guess one can only change the config files for LW9

Yours PAL

dballesg
08-31-2006, 06:03 AM
Hi Nackers,

Glad to hear you manage it working! :)

I use here Remote Desktop, because comes with windows to run the .bat on each node. Here we have 7 computers, and I think is affordable to do that. But that is when I am using a pure Screamernet session. I am using that EXLUSIVELY to test the pre-release version of xStream.

With a manager like Butterfly, BNR installs a client on each computer that you can run as a service, that means you do not even log in on each node to have the client running. And from your master computer you run the BNR manager, where you load the scene and you can even change MANY parameters of it before submit it. And BNR allows you to split a big resolution frame to render between your nodes.

I used Tequila in the past, easy to configure, but I think the client cannot be runs as a service. Aside that, it is a good manager from Chepe. And cheaper I believe than BNR, but doesn't allow you another renderers as BNR, that allows you Messiah, Maya, or even custom renderers. Of course if you only want to render with Lightwave there is a version of BNR that allows you that and it is cheaper.

Another point in favor of BNR is that let you update the clients from the server and it manages all it self! :) As well as update the plugins that you installed recently! :)

Best regards,
David

StereoMike
08-31-2006, 06:29 AM
Wow. I just got Harpoon working. It's unbelievable easy.
You have just to make sure, that it will find lwsn, so in the end I put the server and the client exe in the LW programs directory and everything started to be good. It uses as many lwsn instances as you have cpus and you can adjust the load intensity by process priority control within the program.
And it's free for 2 clients (you only need one for a multicore pc)

One thing bugs me (maybe has nothing to do with Harpoon):
Works only with a running network connection. Just for that reason I connected the workstation to the router. The workstation then activated the IP (I gave already) and I was able to network render. If I plug the cable out, I can't....

Any idea? I want the workstation isolated.

Mike

Matt
08-31-2006, 08:40 AM
Hey people...
I think I got it to work...There is an excelent tutorial in Dan Ablans Inside Lightwave 8..which has more than enough info and it uses xp

Thanks, I wrote that! :)

Ivan_B
09-01-2006, 01:45 AM
Hi People...
DAVID: Thanks mate...I'll look into some of those options just as soon as I confirm that my setup works..I get my new dongle on Monday!!!..I'd like to chat more about vue xstream sometime. thanks again.

MATT: I thought you might have had something to do with Dan's book, as some of the pdf was exactly like the book..I used a combination of your video, pdf and Inside lightwave 8 to get it to where Im at so far..The books awsome, cos it goes into a bit more detail, perticularly with regards to the .bat...you broke it down to explain every part of it, understanding what it means and does, is better than just copying and hoping for the best...Good stuff!! Thanks.

I have but one more question for now..Will screamer work if I point the content part of the .bat to another drive (say d drive) as apposed to c drive lightwave\content folder (thats shared), and make my content path the same in LW?...will the other pc's see it, as its not shared?...or does that not matter? (sorry thats three questions) im not 100% on that bit. I copied the content from d to c so I think that will work.
Thanks Heaps.

dballesg
09-01-2006, 02:06 AM
Hi Nackers,

No it wouldn't work. If you want that your nodes see your D:\content for on the server, you must share that directory as you did with your C:\Lightwave assign it a new drive letter, like Z: or whatever you like, or use UNC names on the bat files, but in BOTH cases the D:\content must have the permissions on the folder allowing other nodes to read and write from there.

A UNC path looks like:

\\servername\\path\

I hope this helps.

Best regards,
David

Ivan_B
09-01-2006, 04:29 AM
Thanks David..
So let me get this straight...You share the content folder with full permission...(In my case unc)...then point the content part of the batch file (node) to the newly shared content folder...In LW point the content directory to the new content folder...As long as its shared and everything that needs to be, is pointing to it, it should work?..awsome I'll try it when I get my dongle..for now i'll just play..Thanks.
Aside from that..How is the pre release of Xstream?..I cant wait for vue 6 and Xstream 6..awaiting my free upgrade...Does xstream work well?..Ive read its still very buggy..the new full version of Xstream 5 for LW is out in a few days I'm told..cheaper to buy sidegrade for 6 though.(not sure if we can discuss this in this forum...although it bundles with LW).
One other thing...im still trying to understand the .cfg part..if you copy the files into thier respective folder (config and config_sn) then go into LW and set that up, these files will update..Is that correct?..By changing the target in the properties of the LW shortcut (-c) were telling LW to use these .cfg..is that right?..My .cfg not saving changes, is that because of discovery mode? otherwise they should....
Sorry to hit you with all this!!
Ivan.

Matt
09-01-2006, 05:13 AM
Bottom line, ANY of the things that ScreamerNet needs could be anywhere, so long as ALL nodes and the master controller can see them, and have access rights.

You could for example have your LightWave install (master controller) on a computer in London, a render node in New York, one in Japan, one in Australia. You could then have your content files in Iceland, your config files and plugins in Germany, the save directory back on the computer in London and finally your command folder on the MIR space station!!!

So long as the computers in London, New York, Japan and Australia can access the folders in Iceland, Germany and the MIR space station, you could render files!

Matt

Ivan_B
09-01-2006, 05:35 AM
MIR space station!!! lol...Thanks Matt.

dballesg
09-01-2006, 05:36 AM
Hi Ivan,

Matt has explained really well! :)

I am not at the office at this moment, but I will post you an example on how looks inside my .bat files, when I come back there! :)

Semi :hijack:
To my knowledge, e-on is jumping the xStream 5 to go straight away with the 6 one.

The only bug I found recently it is the one on renderfarms, where the floating licenses are rendering in black, but e-on has confirmed today that they are looking into the problem.

But I am waiting for 6 as well, have quite a few nice things I want to try! :)

End semi :hijack:

Best regards,
David

zapper1998
09-01-2006, 05:53 AM
I found that LW 9 when installed, all the files paths as:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\NewTek\LightWave 3D 9" [32bit]
"C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave 3D 9" [64bit]

I had to change it to:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\NewTek\"
"C:\Program Files\NewTek\"

[Minus the Quotes]

to get Screamernet to work properly, the paths were screwing with Screamernet, for some reason....
Michael

dballesg
09-01-2006, 06:50 AM
Hi Michael,

I NEVER install Lightwave on those long directories, I always use C:\Lightwave9, or C:\Lightwave9_64

If I remember well, spaces on the directory names for Screamernet can cause problems.

Best regards,
David

Matt
09-01-2006, 03:09 PM
I do exactly the same David, saves a whole bunch of headaches (and typing!)

Ivan_B
09-05-2006, 09:53 PM
Hi all..
I have my NEW dongle and it works..
My Screamernet WORKS, however I had trouble creating cofig files..It was to do with the TARGET in the properties of the LW icon...I had to put inverted commas around the new part of the target,

"C:\LightWave 3D 9\Programs\lightwav.exe" "-cc:\Lightwave 3D 9\config"

Im still not sure about the other target as my hub is not launching..heres the target..will this work? (the -0 part)

"C:\LightWave 3D 9\Programs\lightwav.exe" -0 "-cc:\Lightwave 3D 9\config_sn"

The program runs, but will it turn off the hub (when I get it to run without doing it manually)?

The other thing thats a problem is, I have IFW textures (not nodle) and screamer crashes, as well as having a motion file (Md Plug). How can I render with a motion file?..whats the point if I havn't got my character moving!

I too, made sure I installed LW directly to the C drive..much easier!
Thanks, Ivan.

dballesg
09-06-2006, 02:17 AM
Hi Nackers,

Which OS are you using? On Windows XP and XP 64 I DO NOT need the inverted commas around the target on a shortcut.

And I notice you are still using spaces on the LW installation directory, dont do that, I do not know if has been corrected or not, but in the past screamernet hates spaces on the directory names.

Best regards,
David

Ivan_B
09-06-2006, 06:36 AM
Hey David..
I'm using XP pro...screamer works fine..its just that I had to do that to the targets, to be able to save config..without, it wouldnt work (the first part of the target are in inverted commas by default)...that parts all good... I'm just wondering if the -0 has to be inside the commas...I'll test it once I can get my hub to run when LW starts up (any ideas).
I now know why my motion file made screamer crash..the .mdd was named using three words that had gaps eg;(Bob run fast.mdd)..I placed underscores where the gaps were (Bob_run_fast.mdd) and it WORKS FINE!!! VERY VERY HAPPY!!!
I have read up, and the hub should launch when LW launches (I though as much)....But its not!!! Can someone PLEASE help? I bet its something really simple..you know a bit like me...I dont know what it is but I ALWAYS seem to find the solution after 11pm..whats that all about?
Ivan...aka Nackers

dballesg
09-06-2006, 08:26 AM
Hi Nackers.

I suppose you mean the hub must run on the computer you are using as CONTROLLER, right?

The -0 command, disables the hub, maybe is that your problem?

Here is an example of how I call LW on my shortcuts:

C:\LightWave9\Programs\lightwav.exe -cC:\LightWave9\Config_sn_sd

No quotes or inverted commands needed under XP Pro, weird that you need them. I am thinking if it is because you still have spaces on your directory names.

Best regards,
David

Lightwolf
09-06-2006, 09:03 AM
No quotes or inverted commands needed under XP Pro, weird that you need them. I am thinking if it is because you still have spaces on your directory names.

That's exactly why. Nothing wrong with having spaces, if you're being careful.

Cheers,
Mike

Ivan_B
09-07-2006, 01:44 AM
Hey People...
I'm not sure why my targets require commas...EVERY shortcut I have, has inverted commas in the targets (Win Xp Pro sp2)..If I remove the commas freaky stuff happens..so I'll leave them...I would understand, that if I used the screamernet shortcut, that it would, or should disable the HUB (-0), fair enough...But no matter what shortcut I use, weather its the default in the LW programs folder, or the LW Normal shortcut (-c..bla bla)...NO HUB...I,ve uninstalled and reinstalled LW hoping it would possibly fix the issue, but it didn't..I think I might do a format and start all over. (Has it got something to do with the network or rendercow from vue?)
On the bright side, all my .mdd files, IFW textures and sasquatch work fine with all 5 machines and my cofigs save...Its just that hub!
Heres an image of my shortcuts...
Thanks for all your input
Ivan.

dballesg
09-07-2006, 02:34 AM
Hi,

As Mike (Lightwolf) said you need to put your paths between commas, because you have spaces on their names.

On the other side, the rendercows doesn't anything to do here. They are for rendering with Vue Infinite, and are not managed like Screamernet on any way.

Now I understand that your problem is the HUB it is not initializing?

I can only suggest that you do a search here on the forums, I remeber vaguely read someone having similar problems.

Or call Newtek tech support.

Sorry for cannot help so much with that, for me the HUB always worked unless I was on Discovery mode.

Best regards,
David

Ivan_B
09-07-2006, 06:04 AM
Thanks david....
The reason I mentioned rendercow was because it starts when I boot my machine, I thought it might interfear...regardless of the paths etc, screamer works fine...
I'll do a search on the hub thing..I might even send an email to NT, see if they might know.
Thanks for all your help..we'll see how it goes.
Ivan.

Ivan_B
09-08-2006, 09:56 AM
Hi..
I got the hub to work...(formatted and reinstalled EVERYTHING)..set everything up..All is good!!!!..for now.
To disable hub when lw screamer launches, I did this to the target..

"C:\LightWave 3D 9\Programs\lightwav.exe" "-0-cc:\Lightwave 3D 9\config_sn"

Question...Whats the reason for disabling the hub, when using screamer?
Very tired now..
Ivan.

dballesg
09-08-2006, 10:27 AM
Hi Ivan,

I do not know why you disable the hub when you work with Screamernet.

I have it enabled, and only opens on the computer that I use as a controller. On the nodes Screamernet doesn't open it.

Maybe I am missing something here? Matt?

Best regards,
David

Ivan_B
09-08-2006, 11:13 PM
Hey David...
I'm not sure, BUT I think you disable the hub when using screamer if you want to keep working on the Master while your nodes render. (if your master isnt part of the screamer farm).

dballesg
09-09-2006, 01:13 AM
Hi Ivan,

Yes you are right, I forgot that! :) In that way you can open more Layouts or Modelers! :)

Best regards,
David

Tandor
10-26-2006, 11:53 AM
I can see why getting screamernet to run is not fun. Have a strange problem.
One of my nodes just freezes up after the freeing memory buffers stage. Tried doing a 160 frame animation and the 2nd node just hangs. The save directory is writeable, the 2nd node is able to write to the directory before it dies.

Anyone have any ideas?

palpal
10-26-2006, 12:06 PM
Some questions:

1. Do you use any plugins for the surfaces or the objects?
- some plugins are only for one machine. I have also had some troubles with G2 over screamernet, the old G2 version.

2. Do you have enough ram on the nodes in order to render the segments?
- I have had different results when using nurbed objects, they are quite larger than one might think when rendering.

3. Are the nodes also able to read all assets needed for the scene?
- Are the write and read folders on the same disk?
- Also the configs for LW, must be readable for the nodes!

4. Do you use unc or mapped drive?

Yours PAL

palpal
10-26-2006, 12:13 PM
In my mind there are only one tutorial that got me to do these things right. It is found under the ScreamerNet in the menu on the left side on this page: http://www.digitaltoons.tv/shop/

That Tutorial made me realise what was really going on.

Remember to check that the redirect works, so that there will not be created a config file in your user file under windows, but where you point it to be saved!

Yours PAL

palpal
10-26-2006, 03:16 PM
never start LW from start manu or inside the LW folder as this will create new configs, you see... if you create shortcuts and point them elswhere this has to be the start point always, or else you will get errors when you add something in LW... the nodes will not find it! That is maybe the strange part of it all! I do not know what kind of troubles you all have... but this is the solution in my case... reendered over the network for alot of years now... I have had some troubles the last year, but that was due to my memory(ram) modules not working good at all... lame, yes!

Yours PAL

palpal
10-26-2006, 03:19 PM
OK?

Yours PAL

Tandor
10-28-2006, 12:58 PM
Thanks Palpal, had to rerun and watch the results to answer your questions.

>
1. Do you use any plugins for the surfaces or the objects?
- some plugins are only for one machine. I have also had some troubles with G2 over screamernet, the old G2 version.

2. Do you have enough ram on the nodes in order to render the segments?
- I have had different results when using nurbed objects, they are quite larger than one might think when rendering.

3. Are the nodes also able to read all assets needed for the scene?
- Are the write and read folders on the same disk?
- Also the configs for LW, must be readable for the nodes!

4. Do you use unc or mapped drive?
<

My setup
1. 3.46 Ghz minitower with 1gb of memory.
2.16 Ghz dual core laptop with 2 gb of memory.

The animation is a 160 frame animation of a sphere rotating and moving up and down. The scene is on a network drive that both machines can access. All items are using the default textures with no added images.

1. The only plugin that lightwave is using is rapts, its a texture plugin, I wanted a glowing surface. When I start the screamer render, I checked for any "Can't find ..." messages, there were none.

2. The models in the scene are simple, 5 flat cubes and one sphere with some simple edits to the mesh.

3. All the configs are readable, can get to them from either machine.

4. Everything is UNC except that I had to make a mapping to an E: drive on the laptop because of references to e:\......\rapts.p. After that there were no complaints about not finding any plugins.

After 90+ frames the laptop node fails at the free memory stage. There is not that much running in the background on the laptop, the minitower has much more, winamp, firefox and other stuff but it will probably go to the end. At least I have seen it do more frames.

Screamernet seems to be more of a pain than its worth.