PDA

View Full Version : Renderfarm commander + LW 9.0

___mats___
08-30-2006, 01:02 AM
Hello -

Has anyone had any luck trying to configure Renderfarm commander to work with LW9.0 LWSN nodes?

any tips on how to get it to work? I tried but im having some issues.

Thanks !

brayne
09-01-2006, 02:50 AM
Hi Matt (and anyone else wondering the same thing),

I should have an update to RenderFarm Commander within the next couple of days. Although RFC should be able to control a LW9 render farm in its current form, it can't actually build one. The beta I am testing right now has rectified the situation.

I am having some trouble with the "split render" feature as the new version of ScreamerNet doesn't seem to render limited regions any more. Hopefully I'll find a workaround for this too.

Sorry for the delay, but my current job is veering further and further away from 3D which means I am getting very little time to work on RFC.

___mats___
09-01-2006, 01:40 PM
Thanks Bruce -

Much appreciated, I got your email after I posted this also, thanks for taking the time to do this !

Talk soon -

Thomas
10-06-2006, 01:37 AM
Hi Matt (and anyone else wondering the same thing),

I should have an update to RenderFarm Commander within the next couple of days. Although RFC should be able to control a LW9 render farm in its current form, it can't actually build one. The beta I am testing right now has rectified the situation.
Not meant to stress you Bruce, but how is it coming along? :)
Regards
Thomas

brayne
10-06-2006, 05:37 AM
Nearly there! Should have it by tomorrow.

Bruce

Thomas
10-06-2006, 05:45 AM
Nearly there! Should have it by tomorrow.
:bowdown:

Oh my...

Well, I guess I need to work tomorrow as well. :)

Thanks for the update Bruce!

Regards
Thomas

brayne
10-06-2006, 11:31 PM
It's ready to go. Registered users can download the free upgrade to RenderFarm Commander version 3.2 from my website (link below).

Unfortunately The Split Render feature DOES NOT FUNCTION CORRECTLY with LightWave version 9 at this time. The render splitting is made possible by sending limited regions to each render node. ScreamerNet 9 doesn't seem to acknowledge limited regions when it renders. I haven't removed this function from RenderFarm Commander as we may see this functionality return in a future revision of the LightWave software.

Please let me know if there are any problems or bugs.

Thomas
10-08-2006, 04:28 AM
It's ready to go. Registered users can download the free upgrade to RenderFarm Commander version 3.2 from my website (link below).
Thanks Bruce!

Just in time ;)

Regards
Thomas

brayne
10-19-2006, 07:57 AM
I've just released a bug fix for RenderFarm Commander. I highly recommend replacing your current copy with this one.

I'm having problems accessing my web hosting at the moment, so it can only be downloaded via this link:
http://www.renderfarmcommander.com/rfc_download.php

Thomas
10-19-2006, 08:00 AM
I've just released a bug fix for RenderFarm Commander. I highly recommend replacing your current copy with this one.

I'm having problems accessing my web hosting at the moment, so it can only be downloaded via this link:
http://www.renderfarmcommander.com/rfc_download.php

Thanks Bruce!

Thought it worked just fine, what was the problem?

Regards
Thomas

brayne
10-19-2006, 08:07 AM
The bug seemed to only affect a few people. It was a communication error that stopped RenderFarm Commander from detecting when the render nodes were available.

A couple of other less problematic bugs were fixed too.

Thomas
10-19-2006, 08:10 AM
Ok, glad I was one of the "unaffected" then, that rarely happens :)

So, any plans on saying when the next "big" release is coming our way...

Regards
Thomas

brayne
10-19-2006, 08:24 AM
So, any plans on saying when the next "big" release is coming our way...Well I hate to say it, but it may never happen. I am getting moved out of the 3D arena in my full-time job, and that is my only access to LightWave. Once I lose the ability to test my software, I won't be able to do much more.

Unfortunately my LightWave dongle belongs to my employer so I can't test at home, and if I was to add up all of the RenderFarm Commander sales, I still wouldn't have enough money to buy my own copy.

I should be able to keep updating so that it continues to work with new versions, but I don't think there will be much more in the way of features. Of course, having said that, there aren't really that many more features left to add!

There will be an Intel-happy version coming out very soon though.

Sorry about the bad news.

Thomas
10-19-2006, 08:31 AM
:cry:

Oh, my!

That's really BAD news. Sorry to hear. Hope you find a happy trail to walk along though, you deserve it!

Care to sell the "name" of the app? I'd like to keep it alive... Who knows what I'm up to ;)

Regards
Thomas

brayne
10-19-2006, 08:38 AM
Hope you find a happy trail to walk along though, you deserve it!
Thanks for that. I've become too useful to my employer as a software developer. That's why I'm moving away from the 3D.

I should still be able to keep RFC alive, just not with the same gusto I had in the early days.

Thomas
10-20-2006, 06:52 AM
Nice to hear that RFC ain't dead!

Now, I have a few ideas for the next release... ;)

Regards
Thomas

Scazzino
10-20-2006, 08:41 AM
Hi Bruce,

Sorry to hear that you may not be able to continue devoting much time to RFC. It's a great product!

Have you tried contacting NewTek about possibly selling it to them to include in the Mac version? It would be a GREAT bonus for Mac users.

Just a thought...

3dworks
10-20-2006, 09:24 AM
Thanks for that. I've become too useful to my employer as a software developer. That's why I'm moving away from the 3D.

I should still be able to keep RFC alive, just not with the same gusto I had in the early days.

bruce, that's sad news for us mac LW users, but hopefully a good development for your own projects!

Hi Bruce, Sorry to hear that you may not be able to continue devoting much time to RFC. It's a great product!
Have you tried contacting NewTek about possibly selling it to them to include in the Mac version? It would be a GREAT bonus for Mac users.

Just a thought...

good idea to contact newtek about it, it would be supremely useful for all mac users to integrate it as standard for LW OSX network rendering - chilton, are you reading this? :)

best wishes

markus

John the Geek
10-20-2006, 10:21 AM
good idea to contact newtek about it, it would be supremely useful for all mac users to integrate it as standard for LW OSX network rendering - chilton, are you reading this? :)

*cought* XGrid Renderfarm *cough*

=)

TomT
10-20-2006, 10:22 AM

=)
:agree:
*heh*

Scazzino
10-20-2006, 10:29 AM

=)

Maybe down the road if it's possible... but RenderFarm Commander works NOW, and is MUCH better than the built-in render controller... ;)

Chilton
10-20-2006, 02:31 PM
Hi guys,

I'll comment on this later tonight. Too much I'm trying to get done before 5 today...

-Chilton

Chilton
10-21-2006, 08:04 AM
Howdy from San Antonio,

RenderFarm Commander, in my humble opinion, is the best ScreamerNet management tool on the market, on any platform. It addresses a very real, very annoying problem, which is that ScreamerNet is difficult to set up and monitor. And Bruce has done an admirable job of keeping it up to date.

However, the problems that it addresses are really things that need to be fixed in the product. The complexity of setting up ScreamerNet nodes needs to go away. And once that's done, the ability to monitor the nodes needs to be simplified as well.

So I suspect that before we do something like offer Bruce a suitcase full of Benjamins, we'll take a shot at actually fixing the problems he's addressing.

Now, a year from now, if we haven't actually addressed the usability and other problems, we might be heading over to Bruce's doorstep, hat in hand. But for now, we're in 'fixit' mode, so let's wait a bit longer and see what comes of this.

In the short term, once the UB version of LightWave is on shelves, I suspect we'll start seeing a lot of new faces around here. If ScreamerNet does not get a total makeover, RF will probably still work. And I'd be happy to work with Bruce to make sure it does. So either way, this could pay off for RenderFarm Commander.

-Chilton

Chilton
10-21-2006, 08:17 AM
(RF=RFC, can't edit my post, dunno why...)

Scazzino
10-21-2006, 10:32 AM
However, the problems that it addresses are really things that need to be fixed in the product. The complexity of setting up ScreamerNet nodes needs to go away. And once that's done, the ability to monitor the nodes needs to be simplified as well.

Sounds great. But even if it were extremely easy to set up and get going, the built-in controller really needs much more sophistication. In order for it to be really useful in a production environment I'd personally like to see as much of the following as possible, much of which RFC (http://www.brucerayne.com/renderfarm.html) and/or ScreamerNet Controller for Mac OS X (http://www.catalystproductions.cc/screamernet/) already do... ;)

CONTROLLER
* Controller separate from LightWave, so it doesn't waste resources and doesn't lock LightWave out from being used while rendering.

* Full log files with all settings in the header followed by a log of all render activity.

* Ability to run the controller on the same machine as the content directory, or anywhere on the network, including on one of the remote nodes.

RENDER QUEUE:
* Ability to add/delete items from queue, without stopping and restarting the entire farm.

* Ability to reorder the render queue at will, without stopping and restarting the entire farm.

* On-the-fly path remapping for Mac/Win/Unix & Local/Remote nodes for ALL paths including content directory and any paths used by plugins, while respecting content relative paths.

* Verification of all input paths for readability and all output paths for writability when scenes are added to the queue.

* Ability to restart the controller and continue where it left off in the case of a system crash or power outage. ie. ability to recover the current render queue right where it left off.

* Confirmation of rendered frames before continuing.

* Ability for user to re-queue scenes with already rendered frames in the output path and have the controller ask if existing frames should be skipped or re-rendered.

* Ability to temporarily enable/disable scenes in the queue on-the-fly with simple on/off switches.

* Ability to change render settings when adding scenes to the queue, overriding settings saved with the scene. I'd like to be able to change ANY render settings at queue time, but as a minimum: frames to render (using all available modes, sequential, non-sequential, keyframe, etc), frame order forward-backward-random, output path, AA levels, resolution, camera type, which camera to render, Motion-blur, DOF, # threads & segment memory (Threads & Segment memory are currently tied to the node's config, I'd like a scene override for these settings since some scenes work better with different settings).

* Full frame and scene numeric and thermometer progress displays.

* Drag-and-drop scenes from Finder into the scene queue.

* Ability to perform split-renders where each frame is split across the render farm and then stitched together when all are done.

NODE CONTROL:
* Ability to temporarily enable/disable nodes in the farm on-the-fly with simple on/off switches.

* Readout of comparative CPU speeds during render.

* Ability to name render nodes.

* Ability to detect crashed nodes and turn them off.

* Ability to quit (and launch if possible) render nodes at specific times.

* Readout of amount of ram used/available on each node in a numeric and thermometer readout.

--

That's all that comes to mind off the top of my head... ;)

PS: As for editing posts, it looks like they've changed the edit time back to 20 minutes or so... it had been extended to infinity when the image attachments got lost, so people could add them back...

Scazzino
10-21-2006, 10:41 AM
PS: As for editing posts, it looks like they've changed the edit time back to 20 minutes or so... it had been extended to infinity when the image attachments got lost, so people could add them back...

Yikes, it looks like it's been set to 2 minutes, not 20... That's not even enough time for me to proof-read the messages to fix...

A few more items I tried to add before my edit time ran out...

* Ability to control remote nodes across the Internet (as I often do now).

* Ability to add/remove/reorder the render queue remotely (that'd be cool).

* Ability to set up a render folder, where any scenes dropped into it would automatically be added to the render queue.

Scazzino
10-21-2006, 10:48 AM
While were at it...

How about the ability to change the order or priority of render nodes so that we could send a specific render to certain nodes. Not sure how it would work exactly, but sometimes I'll have a high res still I need to render while I'm rendering animations on the farm and I'd like to be able to tell it to go to one of the faster nodes rather than end up on one of the slower nodes and take forever.

That should be enough, for now... ;)

Thomas
10-22-2006, 06:33 AM
Scazzino:
That list is almost a copy of my wishlist for a render controller. You had a few more bells and whistles in your list though.

Oh, I'd like to have those functions now :D

Regards
Thomas

brayne
10-23-2006, 02:53 AM
So I suspect that before we do something like offer Bruce a suitcase full of Benjamins, we'll take a shot at actually fixing the problems he's addressing.
I'm never going to knock back a suitcase full of Benjamins, but I agree that it would be much better to have this solved from the ground up, rather than as a band-aid fix.

RFC has never been a big earner for me. It was never meant to be. I priced it so that anyone who wanted to have a bit of a play with their own render farm could do so, even if they weren't going to use it much.

I agree with Chilton that it would be a great thing for the Mac LightWave community if a new and improved ScreamerNet did away with all of the problems that RFC now addresses.