PDA

View Full Version : just wrong Inside Lightwave 8 Chap 17 file

illusory
08-29-2006, 04:55 PM
Has anyone tried out the water faucet hypervoxel files from Inside Lightwave 8, Chap 17 ?

I ask because they do not render for me in either LW8 or LW9 as they are supposed to, nor do they show up in Viper.

The following pics are screen caps of my results in LW8 and LW9, from the file "flowing particles". But its also the same deal with the other faucet files.
The third pic is a downsized vers of the result file from the book -- how it's supposed to look.

Has anyone figured this out?

NJ

rwhunt99
08-29-2006, 05:23 PM
Hi Illusery, It's been a while since I did that but I think you are pretty close.

I'm not sure, but I don't think Viper will give you a good feed back when using it for transparencies. I did notice that perhaps you should check the maintain volume checkbox in the Hyper voxel panel, your water looks flat. I can't see the shader panel to check your settings, but My water color is similiar to yours.

Hope that helps a little :)

( I was referring to the first Pic; second looks like there's no gravity applied to the particles, did you do a recalculation in LW9?)

illusory
08-29-2006, 05:40 PM
I'm just testing the scene as it comes off the CD, so nothing's changed. But yeah, there's gravity in there. I checked that all the settings are ok. Just noticed when I loaded it in that it didn't react in any way the way the pictures showed in the book. In the book, Viper shows a clear preview. The render, as you can see is not waht it's supposed to be according to the book's included picture.

Messing around with it, I can see that the particles are colliding with a plane which is level with the counter top. This happend to be where the pivot is for the object. It shouldn't act like this though, because it is set to collide with the object, meaning surfaces. Strange thing is, the same file acts differently in LW8 and LW9. Only in 9 do the particles collide where the pivot level is. But in 8, other things are screwed up...

NJ