PDA

View Full Version : Back View

Paul_Boland
08-29-2006, 08:35 AM
Hi Folks.

Just a small question. I've been quiet on the forums for a long time as I've been working away in Lightwave 8, learning the software. I'm getting good at it. But I was just wondering, why does Modeller show a Back View? Before getting Lightwave, I worked with TrueSpace (still do), and when working in this 3D software, I use a Front, Side, Top and Perspective view. In Lightwave Modeller, I get a Back, Side, Top and Perspective view. Why? Why not a Front View? Is there an advantatage to working in Back View over Front View or is it just the way the Lightwave works?

GandB
08-29-2006, 10:00 AM
Hey Paul, I didn't know you were a member here also. How are you finding the UI compared to TS? I just bought Dan Ablan's LW9 course (should be here tomorrow), so I'll be expecting to post my first LW render in a week or two.

-Keith

Scazzino
08-29-2006, 10:13 AM
Hi Folks.

Just a small question. I've been quiet on the forums for a long time as I've been working away in Lightwave 8, learning the software. I'm getting good at it. But I was just wondering, why does Modeller show a Back View? Before getting Lightwave, I worked with TrueSpace (still do), and when working in this 3D software, I use a Front, Side, Top and Perspective view. In Lightwave Modeller, I get a Back, Side, Top and Perspective view. Why? Why not a Front View? Is there an advantatage to working in Back View over Front View or is it just the way the Lightwave works?

That's one of my LW pet peeves... ;)

It has to do with LW's roots for animating logos back in the Amiga days. There is a torturous explanation, but it's not intuitive IMHO. It's pretty much backwards compared to all the other 3D software I've ever used. Even modo uses the front view rather than the back view...

Just have to get used to using a back view in LW when you would normally think of using a front view...

:screwy:

SP00
08-29-2006, 10:29 AM
Stare at the Positive and Negative Axis and you will find your answer. It makes sense once you see the direction of the + and - in all the viewports. At least it does for me.

Scazzino
08-29-2006, 10:36 AM
Stare at the Positive and Negative Axis and you will find your answer. It makes sense once you see the direction of the + and - in all the viewports. At least it does for me.

I know it's because of the z direction... but that's the problem... look at modo (from the original developers of LW)... they realized the problem and fixed it, reversing the z direction... and letting users use the front without confusing things... ;)

If it made so much sense, then it wouldn't keep coming up and having to be explained... IMHO... ;)

SP00
08-29-2006, 12:42 PM
I guess it is how you are trained to think. I have no problems with the back view. From a First person perspective, it makes sense for the Z to grow in the positive direction the further away the object is to the camera. It also makes send for the top view to have the + move up and to the right, and - to move down and to the left. People who are new to 3D shouldn't have a problem with this, and it does come off a little bit more natural. If you are coming from a different system, it might throw you off. I kinda like it and it works for me.

However, I can see that the back would probably make people think that they should model the back of the character instead of the front and vice versa. The wording should probably change to fix this. Instead of using back or front, it should probably just be Z+ (looking in positive Z direction) and Z- (looking in negative Z direction), but than again, that can be confusing too.

Paul_Boland
08-30-2006, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the input. I know I can change the Back to a Front view if I wanted to, but it's not really a problem, I was just curious as to why a Back View was default in Modeller. Thanks.

Hey Paul, I didn't know you were a member here also. How are you finding the UI compared to TS? I just bought Dan Ablan's LW9 course (should be here tomorrow), so I'll be expecting to post my first LW render in a week or two.

-Keith

Hi Keith.

When I first got Lightwave 8, it was a culture shock over the icon system I'm so use to working with in TrueSpace, but now, I'm fairly comfortable with Lightwave. I have nothing spectactular to show off yet, but I'm beyond the first steps of working with the software and am able to do some basic model creation, texturing, lighting, animating (very basic!!), etc.

I've worked with a number of tutorials in the past and am currently working through Dan Ablan's Inside Lightwave 8 book. If he releases an Inside Lightwave 9 and it's anyway on par with his Inside Lightwave 8 book, then it's one book I'll highly recommend. Inside Lightwave 8 has been a truly wonderful teaching resouce for me :thumbsup: .

GandB
08-30-2006, 01:47 PM
Inside LW 9 is supposed to be ready to ship in September (according to Amazon); but Dan frequents these forums and could tell you definitavely. After I go through his LW9 course, I plan on getting the book as a follow-up. If he doesn't plan on making an advanced LW9 course, then I may grab his LW7,5 advanced course as well. You're farther ahead in LW than I am right now. I'm trying to finish up the graphics on our new site, along with a few other things that I'm still using TS to finish off. Hopefully that will be done this week, so I can start to focus on LW (the course is supposed to be here sometime today) and then get to work on our first commercial release (game).

It's good to see a familiar face around here; I'm trying to bring over someone from the GameSpace side of the house to this place. How's your family doing?

Talk to you later.

-Keith

loki74
08-30-2006, 07:34 PM
I think it has to do with how it looks when you drop it into Layout.

The camera is facing in the +z direction, so if something is facing forward in front of the camera, the camera will see the back.

Imagine two people facing north, one in front of the other. The one who is closer south will see the other one's back, because they are both facing north.

So if you model backwards in the z direction, objects will be facing the camera when you put them in layout.

...could be wrong, but I think thats the basic idea.