PDA

View Full Version : How to abort a task in Lightwave.

ozmask
08-28-2006, 11:51 PM
Hi all,
I am new here. Just getting going in Lightwave. I am working on my first real project, unfortunately there are crazy deadlines which are killing me, but I have learnt alot in the last few weeks.

Today I wanted to smooth shift a polygon, so I selected it (at least I thought I had), clicked on smooth shift, then clicked on the polygon and started dragging. Anyway Lightwave went off and chewed up 100% CPU for 15 minutes or more while it smooth shifted every polygon in the current layer. Ctrl-z when it came back and everything was fine. So I selected the polygon again and double checked it was selected, ran through the process again and everything worked as it should, so it was probably my fault.

What I want to know is could I have aborted out of the smooth shift once I realised what was happening?

I probably have learnt my lesson, but it would be nice to know just in case it ever happens again.

I encountered this problem while working on my laptop. It doesn't have as much grunt as my desktop and I am working on an object with a largish polycount (~200,000).

Many thanks,
ozmask

BloodQuest
08-29-2006, 12:26 AM
Escape is the first thing I usually go for.

Ctrl works as an abort for some things.

Going outside for a snifter (cigarette) is another alternative.

I back up often though, so I'd hit Ctrl-Alt_Del and pick up whereever I last saved rather than wait 15 mins...

Simon

oDDity
08-29-2006, 01:41 AM
There's no abort in modeler, except brute force. Save before you do something unknown, then you an just quit and restart.

ozmask
08-29-2006, 07:52 PM
Thanks Bloodquest and Oddity.

I have now taken to saving at very regular intervals, so I can break out of it and restart.

Layout has died on me 3 times in the last 24 hours, while I was doing texturing. I had FPrime on each time.

Thanks again